Author Topic: Here we go...  (Read 3019 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Here we go...
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/sep/28/after-demise-of-dont-ask-activists-call-for-end-to/

First, the gays.

Now, the transgenders.

Next, the pedophiles.

Then, the polygamists.

Followed by the aficionados of bestiality.

And lastly, the necrophiliacs.

Micro, was I sufficiently sex-positive in my list, or is there anyone I might have left out?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Here we go...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
 ;/

If a he-she-it can pick up a gun and fight effectively, what wrong has suddenly been created?

The line in the sand for the military should be based off of fitness and ability standards. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »
I've only met a couple of transgender folks but from my limited experience and from what I've seen 2nd/3rd hand most of those folks come with some serious emotional issues.
I doubt very many could cut it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
You missed mechanosexuals.  Some people find love with machines.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »

"Engines make her hot"   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »
;/

If a he-she-it can pick up a gun and fight effectively, what wrong has suddenly been created?

The line in the sand for the military should be based off of fitness and ability standards. 

It's nothing to roll eyes over. Regardless of anyone's personal views about sexual issues, we have just witnessed how something that used to make a soldier unfit is now seen as an identity issue, like race. What other fitness standards will be similarly deconstructed? Once you're done congratulating yourself on not being bothered by teh geys, maybe you can consider that question.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
It's nothing to roll eyes over. Regardless of anyone's personal views about sexual issues, we have just witnessed how something that used to make a soldier unfit is now seen as an identity issue, like race. What other fitness standards will be similarly deconstructed? Once you're done congratulating yourself on not being bothered by teh geys, maybe you can consider that question.

Except the "fitness" standard in question really didn't have anything to do with actual fitness, i.e. can the soldier function and do their job.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »
But, Fistful, "standards" divide us, don't you know that? =D
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
People with a sex change would probably be denied entry due to the restrictions on joining after having almost any surgery.
Simple transgender people would have issues with PFTs - are they judged by male or female standards? Also, male-only MOSes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 01:19:20 AM »
Except the "fitness" standard in question really didn't have anything to do with actual fitness, i.e. can the soldier function and do their job.

Can those with felony convictions function and do their jobs? Those without diplomas or GEDs? I'm sure we could make this list much longer.

Your statement merely demonstrates how society changes its mind (our minds) about who's fit and who's not. Yes, we can change our minds, but it is not always, uh, fitting.

For the record, I am fine with letting the military decide whether homosexuals can serve openly, or at all. If they think it will work, then whatever. I just hope the recent decision was the military's choice, and not something foisted on them by politicians (even politicians in uniform).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 03:27:59 AM »
;/

But which fitness standards do you apply to he-she-it? There are two entirely different sets for men and women.

(Personally I think there should be a single unisex physical readiness standard. Why should a female be allowed to take the same physically demanding job as a male, but only be required to do half as many push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups and have up to an extra 5 minutes on the allowed run times?)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 04:12:10 AM »
Because the majority of women would either fail entirely or perform so poorly that they would be severely handicapped in promotions. Hence why WM's do "flexed arm hangs" instead of pullups, and can get a good run score with a time that would result in a failure for a male Marine. And admitting that women (as a group) have much lower physical abilities of the running fast and lifting heavy things variety is taboo, despite being an undeniable physical fact.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

Like this? (NSFW)
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:51 AM »
Spot on. :lol:
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.