Author Topic: Clinton on Benghazi - "What difference, at this point, does it make?"  (Read 7173 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I dunno, I think the circumstances of the attack, and how the administration initially labelled it, make a big difference.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/23/clinton-denies-delay-in-benghazi-response-despite-accounts/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Clinton
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
"What difference, at this point, does it make?"
:facepalm:

I wonder if George A. Custer would have come up with a more imaginative excuse had he survived that unpleasantness at the Little Bighorn?

Prettier, too:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Clinton on Benghazi - "What difference, at this point, does it make?"
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
Thinking about this this morning. The greatest destructive force we face isn't leftist ideology. It's apathy. You can fight an idea with a better idea, but how do you overcome indifference?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
"Well, I guess the difference it makes is how many people we throw into Leavenworth and for how many decades....  And how many piles of big rocks we make them turn into little rocks...."
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
Thinking about this this morning. The greatest destructive force we face isn't leftist ideology. It's apathy. You can fight an idea with a better idea, but how do you overcome indifference?

I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
hunger, and it's heading this way. fast. =(

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
I suspect part of the problem is that Benghazi could be titled, "Fast and Furious II: Jihadi Boogaloo" due to the great likelihood that we provided arms to the jihadis who killed our men.

Also, Rand Paul is going after her with some vigor:
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/01/23/rand-paul-to-hillary-lets-face-it-you-should-have-been-fired-over-benghazi/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
hunger, and it's heading this way. fast. =(

Hence the concerted effort to legally slip into an overt police state while the getting is good. Unrestrained surveillance, disarmament, sweeping emergency powers for the executive. You think preppers are the only ones preparing?

I suspect part of the problem is that Benghazi could be titled, "Fast and Furious II: Jihadi Boogaloo" due to the great likelihood that we provided arms to the jihadis who killed our men.

Libya was a US-NATO-Gulf States combined op, with the White House "leading from behind" of course. The US Government knowingly assisted, aided and abetted factions known to be related to Al Qaeda. For all the lives, time and money wasted on the "War on Terror", Libya shows what a sham all that was.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:41:06 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »

Also, Rand Paul is going after her with some vigor:
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/01/23/rand-paul-to-hillary-lets-face-it-you-should-have-been-fired-over-benghazi/

Rand is going to lose a some clout over that attack.

Clinton will eat him alive.  Seasoned with capers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
"What difference, at this point, does it make?"

She has already testified that the State Dept will essentially mindlessly puppet whatever list of talking points is handed to them.  So the difference it makes is to determine who handed them the talking points, in other words, who is running the show.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
I work with "average Americans" every day, as they pass through court as parties, witnesses, attorneys, cops, etc.  While I find that attorneys in general are more politically aware than the general public, in part because of the job, I must say that SADshooter is dead on.  Every day, I hear conversations about America's Got Dancing Talent, or what Rachel Ray cooked on her show, or any dozens of things ranging from the Kardashians to Lyndsey Lohan, and every celebrity in between.  Yet, if I mention "Fast and Furious" to most attorneys and staff, I get comments about the film, not the border debacle.  Bring up politics, and the comments are invariably "I'm sick of politics," or "Who cares?"  It's all about when the next sale is at the mall, what's on television, or what someone posted on Facebook.  Jury pools are in many ways getting to be easier to seat, because once the initial uproar over a crime has died down, most people don't know what's going on, so it's easy to find jurors who know nothing of a case.  And, many of those in power take advantage of the apathy to get and maintain their power (elections based on name recognition or party affiliation, as opposed to qualifications), and then use the power to achieve their goals.  Look at some of the amendments that get attached to bills.  The big bill gets the headline, while the devil in the details slips right on by, unnoticed.

The question that begs to be answered...how do you make people care about their freedoms, when all they really care about is what happened on The Voice last night...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
The question that begs to be answered...how do you make people care about their freedoms, when all they really care about is what happened on The Voice last night...

Easy.  Float a bill to strip the useless of a right to vote.   I fully support restricting voting to property holders and veterans.   

Then they'll notice and howl.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
Easy.  Float a bill to strip the useless of a right to vote.   I fully support restricting voting to property holders and veterans.   

Then they'll notice and howl.

Ironic thing to say when they're trying to strip you of your firearms rights.

Maybe we'll be better protected from tyranny if only those saintly property holders and veterans can have guns too?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
Ironic thing to say when they're trying to strip you of your firearms rights.

Maybe we'll be better protected from tyranny if only those saintly property holders and veterans can have guns too?

I've learned not to rise to your bait a long time ago.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
I've learned not to rise to your bait a long time ago.

Questioning your eagerness to limit other people's rights is not bait.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
Ok then,  taking that at face value,  I consider " Other peoples rights" to be disproportionate to their responsibilities. 

I don't consider being 18 years old and above room temperature a good criteria for having a say on how things are run. 

Property holders and Vets at the very least have "skin in the game".  Why should anyone that doesn't have a say? 

Horrifically OP,  but that my point was to point out that the "average American"  doesn't give a *expletive deleted*it,  and by that logic shouldn't be heard from.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
I think you're underestimating voters - if they'd had a chance to comment on Benghazi, they probably would've had a different view to Obama and Clinton. 

This whole affair is a bad joke - it's obvious now that intervening in Libya was the wrong move for US security, just as intervening in Egypt and Syria will continue to be.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »
I think you're underestimating voters - if they'd had a chance to comment on Benghazi, they probably would've had a different view to Obama and Clinton. 

This whole affair is a bad joke - it's obvious now that intervening in Libya was the wrong move for US security, just as intervening in Egypt and Syria will continue to be.

I agree with you to a large extent on policy,  The only exception being that voters have had their say.  They put the aholes in question in power, and chose to retain them in the past election.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »
I agree with you to a large extent on policy,  The only exception being that voters have had their say.  They put the aholes in question in power, and chose to retain them in the past election.

True, but I think that's mainly because they are convinced that the only alternative is more of the same.   Anyone with sense is written off as nutty.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
True, but I think that's mainly because they are convinced that the only alternative is more of the same.   Anyone with sense is written off as nutty.

Of the ones that actually think.  I agree with you there as well.  Romney wasn't an alternative and I didn't vote for him either.   

I defend my original statement.  Allowing those that don't actually contribute to vote is folly. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »
If you allow only certain people to vote, those who have some "skin in the game" as it was phrased earlier, many or even most of those who don't get to vote probably wouldn't be bothered that much. They might raise a stink, but in the end, I don't think they care.

They don't care until you start cutting their benefits. Then they'll care. They'll riot, as we've seen in other countries. It will be a mess.

So, while we could have poll tests to make sure those who vote know at least something about government, or restrict voting to those who pay taxes, the system can't be changed to cut payments to those who are leeching off the system. Not without violence.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »

But, who could have known?  Haven't all our foreign missions gotten off without a hitch and unintended consequences?

If you allow only certain people to vote, those who have some "skin in the game" as it was phrased earlier, many or even most of those who don't get to vote probably wouldn't be bothered that much. They might raise a stink, but in the end, I don't think they care.

They don't care until you start cutting their benefits. Then they'll care. They'll riot, as we've seen in other countries. It will be a mess.

So, while we could have poll tests to make sure those who vote know at least something about government, or restrict voting to those who pay taxes, the system can't be changed to cut payments to those who are leeching off the system. Not without violence.

Belt fed FTW.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
"What difference does it make?"

It makes a difference why the response to the attack was so inadequate and why no one, really, has taken responsibility for it or explained it fully.

It makes a difference why this administration continues to maintain the fiction that there is really no such thing as Islamist terrorism and, in fact, appears to be furthering the cause of Islamic radicalism by both omission and commission.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »
Well, she hopes it won't make any difference to *her*.  But, seriously, they've had five *months* to work on this -- and *this* is the best they can come up with?  I have friends who have written entire novels and submitted them (under deadline) to their publisher since this happened!

I am revolted by the mind that could think, after months of trying to craft the best response, that this would even be acceptable.

I dunno, I think the circumstances of the attack, and how the administration initially labelled it, make a big difference.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/23/clinton-denies-delay-in-benghazi-response-despite-accounts/
Kitteh-Dragon