Author Topic: On Apu  (Read 5929 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: On Apu
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
I'm of Norwegian extraction, thankfully there's nothing there to poke fun at.

The building inspector in my town seems to be of Norwegian heritage. For a long time he had a poster on his wall that said something about Norwegians and talking to trees ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
The building inspector in my town seems to be of Norwegian heritage. For a long time he had a poster on his wall that said something about Norwegians and talking to trees ...

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
Pradheep Shanker says, if Apu is a problem, what about Raj, from The Big Bang Theory?

https://ricochet.com/513746/apu-problem-hank-azaria/

I did an unscientific survey of about a dozen Indian kids at my son’s school. I asked them: “Which Hollywood character is most used to make fun of your ethnicity?”

Not a single one mentioned Apu. Not one. Half the kids didn’t know who Apu was. “The Simpsons” simply are not the cultural phenomenon they were in the 1990s when those having this argument were growing up.

Who did the kids mention? A few named the cartoon character Baljeet, the Indian friend on the Disney animated show “Phineas and Ferb.” But the most common response was Raj, from the extremely popular CBS show “The Big Bang Theory.” Raj is an Indian immigrant, an engineering academic at a California university. He has a harsh Indian accent, is sexually repressed (so badly that he can’t even talk in the presence of American women!), and is often subservient to his rich Indian physician parents back home in India.

You want to talk stereotypes? Well, that’s a big one.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
People are still trying to bring down the Raj?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: On Apu
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »
My own ancestry is Lithuanian - most people know better than to poke fun at us.   :rofl:

You mean you're from the Soviet Suburbs?.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
I didn't realize Apu's voice was done by the Blue Raja.  Interesting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »
Are they going to eliminate all of the other stereotypical Simpsons characters as well?  Italian mafiosos, Willie the janitor, nerdy Comic Shop guy, Flanders the naive Christian, fat, donut eating cops.  We may as well just ban humor as hate speech.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
We may as well just ban humor as hate speech.
I wish that was funny.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 12:33:05 AM »
Are they going to eliminate all of the other stereotypical Simpsons characters as well?  Italian mafiosos, Willie the janitor, nerdy Comic Shop guy, Flanders the naive Christian, fat, donut eating cops.  We may as well just ban humor as hate speech.
And just wait until the SJWs realize the black kid's name in the South Park cartoon is "Token"   . . .  [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »
I tell ya true, if they don't stop making fun of old folks like Grandpa Simpson, I'm going to stamp my feet and scream and throw a tantrum and hold my breath !

Um. On second thought, I better not hold my breath.  And maybe I'll just bang my cane on the floor.

Terry,  :old:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »
I tell ya true, if they don't stop making fun of old folks like Grandpa Simpson, I'm going to stamp my feet and scream and throw a tantrum and hold my breath !

Um. On second thought, I better not hold my breath.  And maybe I'll just bang my cane on the floor.

Terry,  :old:

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 02:10:24 AM »
I didn't realize Apu's voice was done by the Blue Raja.  Interesting.

Yup. He's actually got quite a bit of acting work under him.

People all over the world make fun of accents.

Why? Because it's funny. I laugh at Chicago accents. I laugh at Georgia accents. I laugh at Boston accents. I laugh at New York accents. Additionally, I laugh at Mexican accents, Japanese accents, Indian accents, as well. (Not an exhaustive list.)

Note, I laugh at these accents when they are part of a joke.

It's funny and has been for the history of the world. I sometimes even find people's accents in person amusing (like my co-worker who says CWAW-fee), but I don't laugh at the person because of it.

But of course, as with everything else on the left, you're not allowed to laugh at humor. It's all "problematic" now.

This made me have a thought. I wonder if in times past there had been humor about accents.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
This made me have a thought. I wonder if in times past there had been humor about accents.

I have read Seattle print media from 100-150 years ago making fun of Scandinavian accents.  Due to the fishing and logging, Seattle was a major resettlement point for immigrants from the Nordic countries and there was a lot of humor about Ole and Sven's accents. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 09:35:12 AM »

A significant portion of Latin humor centered around foreigners and misunderstandings. I'm not certain that accents played a part... but accents played a part.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »
On a slight thread veer: Much as Apu has been attacked by Americans of Indian descent (and their whitebread SJW cheerleaders), there was a recent story of a High School girl (whitebread) wearing a Chinese dress to her prom. Americans of Chinese descent (and their whitebread SJW cheerleaders) attacked her on social media for cultural appropriation.

In the meantime, apparently 1 billion or so Chinese have been both complimenting her and thanking her on Chinese social media for honoring their culture. Also apparently shaking their heads and laughing at the Americans that have a problem with it.

As to accents, I spent my childhood listening to kids and adults make fun of my parents' accents. Yet my parents were the ones who taught me to just laugh that stuff off. My dad still likes doing imitations of English accents with his German accent. People need to learn to embrace "water off a duck's back". We'd be a much happier society for it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 02:56:31 PM »
Yup, Ben.  There's nothing more American the cultural appropriation. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
On a slight thread veer: Much as Apu has been attacked by Americans of Indian descent (and their whitebread SJW cheerleaders), there was a recent story of a High School girl (whitebread) wearing a Chinese dress to her prom. Americans of Chinese descent (and their whitebread SJW cheerleaders) attacked her on social media for cultural appropriation.

In the meantime, apparently 1 billion or so Chinese have been both complimenting her and thanking her on Chinese social media for honoring their culture. Also apparently shaking their heads and laughing at the Americans that have a problem with it.

As to accents, I spent my childhood listening to kids and adults make fun of my parents' accents. Yet my parents were the ones who taught me to just laugh that stuff off. My dad still likes doing imitations of English accents with his German accent. People need to learn to embrace "water off a duck's back". We'd be a much happier society for it.

This is an interesting point.

I was never specifically taught, but figured out very quickly that the best response to slights and ridicule was refusing to be bothered by it (or at least pretend not to be bothered). I'm teaching that to my children, as well.

In our culture, today, we have the opposite. Not only are the adherents of Social Justice getting "triggered" by purposeful slights and ridicule, they are SEEKING out innocuous and inadvertent ones.

This is completely the opposite of the most healthy and effective strategy.

It's the enfragiling (I made up a word!) of the youth and our culture. It will not end well, for anyone.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »
News Flash from CNN:

Islamists, Communists, and everyone who hates America held a conference today and all agreed to ignore America and to cease and desist spending any blood or money attempting to defeat America.  It was determined after watching the MSM, sampling college campii, perusing the Internet, listening to their politicians and various and sundry others who control the narrative in America, that America will collapse all on its own within a fairly short time.  

News Flash from CNN.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
News Flash from CNN:

Islamists, Communists, and everyone who hates America held a conference today and all agreed to ignore America and to cease and desist spending any blood or money attempting to defeat America.  It was determined after watching the MSM, sampling college campii, perusing the Internet, listening to their politicians and various and sundry others who control the narrative in America, that America will collapse all on its own within a fairly short time.  

News Flash from CNN.

Quoted for truth ......  :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
On another slight tangent, I saw this story on Fox News about Cinco de Mayo. I thought it interesting that the first thing the guy (presumably hispanic) says is, "Don't wear a sombrero, and fake mustaches and talking with a Mexican accent aren't funny."

For Oktoberfest, we Germans encourage people to put on the funny hats and lederhosen. Why not have a little fun? Talk like Sergeant Schultz too if you want - it's hilarious. We're happy you like the celebration enough to put on the funny looking clothes. It's interesting that some cultures look at this stuff as offensive, while others look at it as embracing and enjoying the culture, if only for a day at the biergarten.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/05/05/its-cinco-de-mayo-dont-be-misinformed-insensitive-nitwit-but-do-have-shot-tequila.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
The day is also a time for misinformed, insensitive nitwits to justify celebrating tired stereotypes about Mexican history, culture and the Latino community in general.

Don’t be one of them.

Resist the urge to put on a sombrero. That fake mustache isn’t funny. And that wannabe Mexican accent isn’t either. But, yes, by all means do have a shot of tequila.

Sombreros and "tired stereotypes" have nothing to do with it, pal.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
¡Ay, caramba!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
No sombrero, eh? So MAGA hats are OK?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »
No sombrero, eh? So MAGA hats are OK?
For the “privileged” nothing is okay.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2018, 04:31:01 AM »
It's interesting that some cultures look at this stuff as offensive, while others look at it as embracing and enjoying the culture, if only for a day at the biergarten.

When they interviewed Japanese people, in Japan, about Americans trying on Kimono*, showing them some pictures and such, they were universally flattered and happy about it.  They recognized that the Americans were playing dress up, but for most Japanese these days, wearing Kimono is dress up for them as well.  They were excited that other people were interested in learning about their culture and history.  Immersion learning is a thing, even if it is only for a few hours.

The Kimono were donated by a Japanese Kimono manufacturer, hoping to expand business in order to save their business.

No, I don't think it's restricted to "cultures".  I think that it's restricted to the SJW crowd.  There is a good chance those calling for this the loudest have the least Mexican heritage.

Like the girl who yelled at a guy wearing a Marachi costume.  Who proceeded to tell her that it wasn't a Mexican Marachi costume, that he's from further south than that.

*Turns out there are male and female variations, formal, semi-formal, and informal.  You're much more able to fight in the male versions, but the female versions are a lot fancier and "prettier".