Author Topic: St. Louis will pay Dad $50 for his junky old revolver.  (Read 1157 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
St. Louis will pay Dad $50 for his junky old revolver.
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »
My Daddy's only firearm is a broken-down, German-made .22 "Peacemaker."  I hope he will go down and let them "buy it back."  Maybe then he will stop robbing liquor stores.   =)

"Gun Buyback" in St. Louis
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: St. Louis will pay Dad $50 for his junky old revolver.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:29:47 PM »
That's interesting. I was about to start a new thread on the below story before I saw this one. Interesting dichotomy:

------------------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,460725,00.html

St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

ST. LOUIS —  A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »
Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."

Oh. I was wondering how come the cops quit carrying guns in St. Louis.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
Boston used taxpayer money to give $200 Target giftcards for each gun.

They got a lot of broken Brycos and what looked like badly rusted H&R flyaparts.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:53:05 AM »
Ben,

I was gonna post that, too.  Heard an interview with the guy, and it really seems like he gets it.  An alderwoman from another part of the city was dogging him out, and he said basically that it was all well and good for her to poo-poo gun ownership in the nicer part of town she represents, but in his 'hood, folks are getting shot on the regular, and the police response is just not cutting it.   

In similar news, see the thread about the Detroit range. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
Boston used taxpayer money to give $200 Target giftcards for each gun.

They got a lot of broken Brycos and what looked like badly rusted H&R flyaparts.
Friend was in a city where they were having a cash buyback for ANY gun - even BB guns.

Let's see . . . $100 per gun turned in, the WalMart down the road had air pistols for $30 . . .

He turned in a lot of BB guns - good shape, too, not rusty relics. Could even say their condition was NIB.

Made some nice money before they caught on.  :cool:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 04:52:04 PM »
Oh, yeah, the Boston one, they enthusiastically bragged that they had gotten a "22 caliber assault rifle" off the streets.

Yes, it was a 10/22.