Author Topic: LaPierre resigns from NRA  (Read 993 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
LaPierre resigns from NRA
« on: January 05, 2024, 02:34:55 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wayne-lapierre-announces-resignation-nra-chief

So long and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
Hopefully the NRA can get back to the job they need to be doing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: LaPierre resigns from NRA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 02:39:09 PM »
25 *expletive deleted*ing years too late.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 02:39:51 PM »
Wow, I thought he would die first.

Let me know when the NRA is worth joining again.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 02:40:16 PM »
The resignation will take effect Jan. 31. Andrew Arulanandam, the NRA’s executive and head of general operations, will serve as interim CEO and executive vice president of the NRA.

Sounds like Wayne has a few more cross country suit shopping trips to make on the NRA's dime before he's all done milking it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 02:40:31 PM »
I think the NRA's brand is irredeemably damaged among gun owners under 40 or so.   The current "Gun Culture" and gun rights battles seem to be centered on anti-human (be it criminal or .gov) uses of firearms, and I think the NRA will have a hard time convincing those people that the NRA is better then FPC or GOA on those issues, even with a change of leadership.  IMO the NRA's best use these days is as a target for the gun control groups that are too stupid to see gun owners have moved to other organizations.

That said, it's great to see LaPierre finally leaving even if it's too little, too late..

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 02:58:16 PM »
It's about time.  My local gun club just amended its bylaws to eliminate the requirement that all members be members of the NRA.  I, too, am not sure that the NRA brand will ever recover.

A positive sign would be if all of Wayne's minions resigned.  A top to bottom housecleaning and reform of the governance structure is needed.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 03:13:32 PM »
Sounds like Wayne has a few more cross country suit shopping trips to make on the NRA's dime before he's all done milking it.

I think he gets full salary for life.   ;/

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 03:15:15 PM »
I think he gets full salary for life.   ;/

Should get a boot up his ass for life
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 03:52:09 PM »
I think the NRA's brand is irredeemably damaged among gun owners under 40 or so.   

Even over 40. I'm guessing my disgust with them is not typical of boomers, as I tend towards younger guy thinking on it and prefer organizations like the FPC now. Even though I'm a life member of NRA and have given them (in hindsight) way too much money over the years (but not for a long while now).

That said, even a lot of the fudd old guys have become disillusioned, and mostly due to Wayne. I've talked to a few old hunters here, a couple of them also life members, who while perhaps not done with the NRA, have been adamant about not giving them any more money for the foreseeable future.

The fact that Wayne didn't step down during the big part of the kerfuffle - when the suit scam came out - tells me all I need to know about how much he cared about the mission. Though I think my last straw with the organization was the fact that he was voted back in by the board after all that.

I don't know that the NRA will ever win me back, nor do I know if they can recover. It's not just the Wayne thing, but they have been way behind the eight ball on all kinds of stuff in recent years. They always  seem to have been the last gun rights org to file a lawsuit on various recent infringements, long after the other gun rights orgs did.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 04:14:27 PM »
Let us not forget:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-the-nra-decision-on-bump-stocks-is-a-big-deal/

Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 04:56:12 PM »
Best part will be watching the media roll in this like its some win for the banners. Meanwhile us extremists partying like it's 1999.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 06:06:29 PM »
Buh-bye
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 06:23:31 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/wayne-lapierre-announces-resignation-nra-chief

So long and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
Hopefully the NRA can get back to the job they need to be doing.

Wonder if they have something on him.  I mean, beyond what we know.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 07:10:15 PM »
Is he on the Epstein list?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 08:18:09 PM »
This is just the standard  evolution of all organizations.  Pournelles Iron Law of Bureaucracy.
 So you don't have to search-

Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people":

First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.

Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.

The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 10:36:58 PM »
About 20 years ago, I upgraded to "Endowment" and they have been after me to go up to "Patron" ever since.
For about 15 years, I have sent those "requests" back to them - in tatters and explained that they wouldn't get no new money until WLP was gone !!  =D  >:D

Depending on what happens in the next 6-8 months, it may be time to eliminate that "restriction".
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 10:53:15 PM »
The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.

... thus driving the first group out of the organization.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 08:34:12 AM »
This is a rare case of both pro and anti gunners celebrating the same event.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 10:22:06 AM »
I've been aware of WLP's problems for a number of years now, but haven't followed them in as much detail as some.

But the combination of his expecting the Association to buy him a mansion and also pick up the tab for his $30,000 designer clothing shopping spree convinced me that he had to go.

I'm just sorry it was later rather than sooner - which is a bad reflection on the REST of the NRA's board.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 02:49:58 PM »
The NRA's board is the second half the problem.  The board is huge, so a "reform" candidate has basically no effect (several were elected, and nothing changed).  They have been rubber stamping LaPierre's decisions.  Any member who questions LaPierre's decisions and spending would get all their committee assignments pulled as a punishment.   ;/  A large percentage of the board never bothered to show up to meetings.

The board of directors is supposed to make sure the organization is run properly.  They failed their duties and have been for many years now.  After all of LaPierre's misbehavior, they still were re-electing him with obcene majorities.  That's when I dropped my membership.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 03:36:52 PM »
The NRA's board is the second half the problem.  The board is huge, so a "reform" candidate has basically no effect (several were elected, and nothing changed).  They have been rubber stamping LaPierre's decisions.  Any member who questions LaPierre's decisions and spending would get all their committee assignments pulled as a punishment.   ;/  A large percentage of the board never bothered to show up to meetings.

The board of directors is supposed to make sure the organization is run properly.  They failed their duties and have been for many years now.  After all of LaPierre's misbehavior, they still were re-electing him with obcene majorities.  That's when I dropped my membership.

The board is a large part of the problem., The other part of the problem is the amendments that were incorporated in the by-laws a decade or so ago, which essentially and effectively made it impossible for the membership of a membership organization to be able to have any power whatsoever over their organization. Of course, those changes were drafted by the board, and heavily promoted by the board. We were warned that the changes were bad for the organization, but the vast majority of the members ignored the warnings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2024, 04:47:12 PM »
WLP gets a $17 million going away present.
And the former chief of staff of the NRA settles with the NY AG with an agreement to testify against the NRA

The Settlement

In a settlement (download a copy here), Joshua Powell agrees that he was guilty of misusing funds and not being true to his duty as an officer of the NRA. His damages in the case, or money that he officially owes the NRA, are limited to $100,000, which will be held in trust by the New York Attorney General’s office. In exchange for this, Powell has agreed to not dispute his guilt or the guilt of the organization, and agrees to testify against the NRA at trial.
NY AG Letitia James Flips NRA’s Former Second-In-Command
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ny-ag-letitia-james-flips-nras-former-second-in-command/

Wayne LaPierre Gets $17 Million For Resigning, PLUS One NRA Former Executive Cuts A Deal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhIaHDejN8
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2024, 04:58:02 PM »
Joshua Powell got fired a couple of years ago, I think... and he had sexual harassment accusations leveled against him.

I thought Wayne's retirement was full salary for life.  I guess an extra $17 million for ruining your org is a good bonus too.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2024, 05:40:27 PM »
What's to say?  Nothing will change until the entire board resigns along with much of the top management.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2024, 05:56:33 PM »
I’m glad I never joined the NRA. They really pissed me off several years ago when they tried to fear monger a UN Blue Helmet invasion as a threat to our rights to try to get me to donate.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!