Author Topic: The Patriot Act  (Read 1921 times)

Chris189

The Patriot Act
« on: October 26, 2008, 06:27:31 PM »
Does the patriot act affect everyone? If so how? They say it only affects people who want to do bad things but under the act couldnt we all possibly be considered "terrorist"?

taurusowner

Re: The Patriot Act
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
In its current form, probably not.  BUT it is one step in that direction, and a significant one.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:54 PM »
I'd be more worried about "hate crime" legislation if I were you.

But are we moving into a period when "outspoken" Americans will be considered "enemies of the state?"  Draw your own conclusions.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:26:19 PM »
There is no way to know how where or when the Patriot Act will affect any of us. Download the legislation and read it. In order to understand it you will have to tie it into the law each part of the act affects. It is not written with full verbose explanations of each change it makes to federal law. This was a contingency plan a or t or y. Hundreds of lines inserting text and removing text and adding certain punctuation here and removing it there. How big was this bill?

A better question might be "in what areas of life does the patriot act not affect me?"
You are on the internet and you have a job. The banks have a broader mandate to report unusual activity. Reporting limits are lower. They are not reporting for the IRS.

If your name is Ahkmed you cannot board a plan in the US. You are also dead on someones lap telling everyone how he will end you! (Comedian act lookup on youtube). Now this thread will get reviewed by some geek in India contracted to the NSA.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »
If your name is Ahkmed you cannot board a plan in the US.

One, that simply is not true.

Two, basic police work.

Most Muslims are not terrorists, fact.

BUT...almost all people who might blow up a plane or wish to harm us are Young Muslim Males. Therefore, profiling.

That's just common sense.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
Does the patriot act affect everyone? If so how? They say it only affects people who want to do bad things but under the act couldnt we all possibly be considered "terrorist"?

Just wait until The One takes office ...  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:25 AM »
If your name is Ahkmed you cannot board a plan in the US. You are also dead on someones lap telling everyone how he will end you! (Comedian act lookup on youtube). Now this thread will get reviewed by some geek in India contracted to the NSA.

just to make that easier, Jeff Dunham.  :laugh:

nobody's_hero

• Fringe (Constitutionalist)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:16:06 AM »
Yeah, the Achmed thing was pretty funny. Jeff Dunham is one of my favorite comedians.

Patriot act, however, is not so funny.  =(

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:45:29 AM »
How can you question the Patriot Act?  You must not be very patriotic. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife