Author Topic: The people of Wal-Mart  (Read 2173 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
The people of Wal-Mart
« on: September 03, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
I know I'm not cool if I learn of an internet sensation by reading CNN, but damn, this is pretty much better than Failblog. http://peopleofwalmart.com

My favorite so far is the Wu-Tang.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The people of Wal-Mart
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
It may cost me another 3-5% to do so, but I have started doing all my shopping at Target instead of Walmart.

The Walmarts around here are filled up with unwed multi father overweight ugly brood-queens, unruly children, toothless gits, people averse to showers and way too much spanish language catering for my taste.

Targets have better eye candy to look at, the shelves are neater, and the merchandise tends to be a little higher quality.  Housewares to electronics to pharmacy.

Oh, and they probably pay their cashiers more, because you don't have the sea of always unmanned registers.  You notice that?  Even during Black Friday, Walmart cannot field enough cashiers to run 3/4 of their registers.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
Really?  Because my Targets have just as few cashiers, the same junk, and much of the same clientele.  What Target lacks, and WM has, is hunting, fishing, and camping gear, auto supplies, etc.

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
Target is completely pointless. We live 75 yards from a Target, and we still have to go to Walmart for everything. They literally have nothing. If I can think of a product, probably if I went to Target, they wouldn't have it. And they never have enough registers open.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
You're right about sporting goods.... I don't get automotive stuff at box stores anyways so if that's a priority for you then you've got another point... though Targets do have some automotive stuff.

My targets, at least, tend to attract more attractive female clientele.  Probably something to do with location, though.  The targets around here are closer to more upscale shopping than the walmarts are.

My wait at the register is always less at Target.  And none of those damned "do it yerself" registers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
And none of those damned "do it yerself" registers.

See, that's a negative for me. Things always go much faster for me if there's an open self-checkout at a store when I don't have much to check out. And sometimes I'm just in a mood where I don't feel like making chitchat with a talkative clerk.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
I lurvs me some self checkout lines.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
We've been through the walmart - target debate before.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »
I take Walmart over Target here in upstate SC. All the red is stupid.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
I patronize both big boxes. Target is getting better, hopefully they'll put in some of their gigantic stores with a full grocery like the mid-west does. The local Targets are apparently the college girl back to school headquarters which can be nice. My closest Wal-mart is in West Virginia, I can probably add to these guys pics.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »
I once saw a woman with one arm, who had a Marvin the Martian tat on her stump, smoking a cigarette while wearing a House Arrest bracelet outside a Wal-Mart.  And, shockingly, this was NORTH of the Ohio River.

I will never be the same man I was before I saw that. :lol:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 02:47:35 PM »
So I guess if you're going for the eye candy, or looking to score a hot date, you head to Target.

If you need to buy something and want it to be in stock, you go to WalMart.  

Nick is correct, we've done the WalMart-Target thing to death here at APS, and I've even been known to kill a thread that labels WalMart patrons as being somehow lower-class.  That's a pretty damned broad paint brush, and in these tough economic times I know folks with 6-digit incomes (like myself) making use of the store.  I ain't the prettiest thing, granted, but if I know it's Promenade Night at the local WalMart, I'll dress up some so AZRH44 won't be too terribly disappointed.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »
somehow lower-class

Somehow?  Have I told you about the woman I saw. =D :O

Wal-Mart Fashion Police=> :police:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »
Have at it.

I've seen Fette Sau aplenty at Target Boutique, Jacques Penne', and other fine upscale establishments. 

The difference is quite honestly lost on me.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
I live in Philadelphia, where both the Wal-Mart and Target closest to me are horrible, and don't even get me started on Home Depot.  The only bright spot is the Lowe's, which is well-lit and well-staffed by people who can answer a question with something other than "I think it's somewhere over there...  It's not my section."

It is better than my old neighborhood.  I went to the Wal-Mart there (on Roosevelt if anyone knows the area) four times, and saw someone get arrested every single time.  The last time I ever went there was during the dead heat of summer, so they had those huge shop fans at all of the entrances and exits to circulate air.  Five or six cops were trying to drag a BG out to the curb, when one of said cops decided that the best way to subdue said BG was to ignore his club and instead mace the man directly in front of one of the big shop fans.  Did I mention the exit is directly in front of checkout, which is where I was standing in line?  About thirty of us got indirectly maced, and as my cashier and I coughed our way through the transaction I decided that was the last time I was coming to that Wal-Mart.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »
I just read through the previous APS thread that Nick1911 linked to.

I have no desire for this thread to emulate that one.

Closed.