Author Topic: The performance of online schools for children  (Read 513 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The performance of online schools for children
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/education/online-schools-score-better-on-wall-street-than-in-classrooms.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig&pagewanted=print

I had not realized that the financial results for investors in online schools was so great and the results for the children are not so great.  I am kind of bummed by this, because I am such a fan of online education, at least at the adult level. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
Re: The performance of online schools for children
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »
I took a few online classes while in college when a similar class wasn't available on campus. They varied from somewhat decent to being really crappy; during one of them, the professor and the students had absolutely no contact with each other and there was absolutely no feedback. The professor could have been a very small shell script for all I knew. I ended up completing 90% of that course in a single week at the end of the term and still getting a decent grade. The online courses were also much more expensive than regular classes. Overall, I much preferred on-campus classes.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth