Author Topic: The pendulum swings back: circumcision benefits outweigh the risks  (Read 5561 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: The pendulum swings back: circumcision benefits outweigh the risks
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
Wow, I had no idea that circumcision was invented in the late 1800's in America to combat masturbation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Did you see the word "invented" in anything that I wrote? I said that it became popular in US specifically for that reason.

Circumcision was invented by primitive people in warm regions. Today, in the US, it's really no different than the "tribal" tattoos, plugs, scarification, or any other "modern primitive" body modification - cosmetic surgery to emulate a ritual practice from some tribes.

Seems to me the truth is uncomfortable for you.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Ironic that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Maybe circumcision made sense in the preindustrial world before there was running water in every home. Or in a world where the causes of disease were mysterious and the practice of sanitation and personal hygiene weren't widespread. Plenty of cultures prospered without the practice so that is a big maybe.

Christianity being primarily a Jewish sect early on probably had a lot of gentiles adopt the practice as a matter of identifying with their new community . Despite the fact the bible clearly states that gentiles are not required to be circumcised. Once it became the norm, men and women would want their baby boy to fit in and not be considered different. I think it is all primarily cultural with religious roots.     

In today's world I consider it a barbaric practice.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »

:rofl:

Yes, your mangling of historical facts and zahc's wild hyperbole are really rustling my jimmies.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »
:rofl:

Yes, your mangling of historical facts and zahc's wild hyperbole are really rustling my jimmies.
Your reading comprehension fail aside, what historical fact did I mangle?

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »

Things like this, and the constant waffling over eggs, and the low fat diet scam that contributed to america's obesity epidemic, the utter lack of evidence for the harmfulness of salt etc etc are why I think it's such a mistake to equate "The latest research shows" with "This is a true thing."

I am also getting tired of all this See-Saw "Science."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:30:52 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
Subtitle of this thread should be: gayer than a bunch of guys concerned about other guys' wieners.

I personally don't have any skin in this whole controversy.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
Maybe you should try to get a law passed to ban it!

=)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 06:04:24 PM »
Maybe you should try to get a law passed to ban it!

=)

All I have is an opinion, I have no skin in the game either  :rofl:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 01:34:45 AM »
Did you see the word "invented" in anything that I wrote? I said that it became popular in US specifically for that reason.

Circumcision was invented by primitive people in warm regions. Today, in the US, it's really no different than the "tribal" tattoos, plugs, scarification, or any other "modern primitive" body modification - cosmetic surgery to emulate a ritual practice from some tribes.

Your story about the breakfast cereal magnate is neat, and everything, but hardly seems relevant. The OP cited recent studies. In other words, no one is taking Kellog's word for it. Who's even still aware of the guy, aside from his menu suggestions? Besides that, you have the people that do it for religious reasons, which are hardly Kellog's doing.

Circumcision might be a cosmetic surgery - if one is raised in a nudist colony. Or if a parent's primary motivation is make their son's equipment more visually appealing to his future intimates. So, practically never.

Seems to me this topic makes you uncomfortable, and prone to logical gaffes.  =|

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 01:39:36 AM »
1) men who were themselves mutilated as infants, and don't want to admit that they were harmed, and despite (or perhaps because) having no point of reference since the decision to amputate the interesting structures of their penis was made for them, they decide they prefer an abbreviated organ as a coping mechanism
2)"they did it to me when I was defenseless, so now that I am the one in power I am going to do it to you (lest you get off easier than I did)" (this attitude is is also prevalent in pedagogy)

This is a public forum, so I'll just say that the exact opposite dynamic is playing out in my family history.

And FWIW, I'll wager most people have never heard of, or thought of, circumcision having any effect on the male orgasm. What leads you to believe this is a motivating factor?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:47:28 AM »

Bypass surgery? Seriously?  :rofl:

Of course seriously. I was pointing out the differences between major, life-saving cardiac surgery, versus circumcision, or cosmetic body-piercing. You think they're all the same?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:21:46 PM by fistful »

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »

Besides that, you have the people that do it for religious reasons, which are hardly Kellog's doing.
The percentage of whom in the general population is rather small. I really doubt the majority of Americans doing it are doing because Jews are so cool and they want to be just like them.

The OP cited recent studies.
Which were done in Africa, and I find to be of dubious relevance to modern day US.

Seems to me this topic makes you uncomfortable, and prone to logical gaffes.
Not uncomfortable in the least. It's not a thing in my family. We are not Jewish, do not suffer from excessive masturbation, and know how to use soap and water.  =D

If either one of my boys decides they want one for some reason, I won't be bothered in the least. 

Of course seriously. I was pointing out the differences between major, life-saving cardiac surgery, versus circumcision, or cosmetic body-piercing. You think they're all the same?
No,I think circumcision and piercing are equally cosmetic, and bypass surgery is not at all like either one, and your bringing it up is utterly silly. I've said so pretty explicitly, so I think you are only pretending not to understand.

Still want to know what facts I mangled.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 01:26:35 AM »
The percentage of whom in the general population is rather small. I really doubt the majority of Americans doing it are doing because Jews are so cool and they want to be just like them.

Which [studies] were done in Africa, and I find to be of dubious relevance to modern day US.

Both of these "rebuttals" are irrelevant. Let's review. You tried to claim that a long-gone, largely forgotten health nut is responsible for circumcision in the modern day. This was, of course, called out as perfect nonsense. As an aside, I noted how this thread itself refutes your Kellog argument, as you are the only one calling Kellog as a witness. No one who is pro-circ, or (like me) neutral, is citing his expertise. Also as an aside, I noted that religious reasons are also in play, regardless how significant you claim their numbers may be. I never said that religion is the major factor in most cases, and it is dishonest of you to imply that I did.

No,I think circumcision and piercing are equally cosmetic, and bypass surgery is not at all like either one, and your bringing it up is utterly silly. I've said so pretty explicitly, so I think you are only pretending not to understand.

You said "body mods are body mods," and I only brought up bypass surgery to demonstrate the absurdity of your claim. Bypass surgery, like the vast majority of circumcisions, is not cosmetic. I'm not the one saying they are the same thing. You are. Or were. You've retracted the claim, so I guess it worked.  =)

Still want to know what facts I mangled.

Ask Balog.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:33:33 PM by fistful »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
. Bypass surgery, like the vast majority of circumcisions, is not cosmetic.

Eh, I might need to go with a "citation needed" there Fistful.  Bypass surgery is a literally lifesaving event.  I am unaware of any life threatening conditions circumcision alleviates.  On this one part I kinda agree with WH.  It's a cosmetic modification that (in my circle of acquaintances) is mostly done for religious reasons. 

I really don't care, as I don't plan on having kids.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it "Barbaric" but I don't really see the need either.  It's just another one of those things that Americans sometimes do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »
Where do you get the idea that "not cosmetic" is the same as "for life threatening conditions"?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
Where do you get the idea that "not cosmetic" is the same as "for life threatening conditions"?

I didn't.  I was directly comparing the two procedures (and only those two) mentioned. 

Heart Bypass: Life saving.  If you need one and don't get it you will die, right now. 
Circumcision: Seems cosmetic to me.  Even if religiously motivated.  The original cleanliness motivations seem to have been overcome by modern society. 

I did ask if he knew of serious conditions that snipping would help.  I guess I would amend that to "common" serious conditions.

Hell get one if you want. I'm not that invested, it just seems to me that it's a primarily cosmetic body mod.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
Heart Bypass: Life saving.  If you need one and don't get it you will die, right now. 
Wait, are we talking about heart bypass surgery or gastric bypass surgery?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Wait, are we talking about heart bypass surgery or gastric bypass surgery?

You know, going back Fistful just said "bypass surgery".  My wife's a vascular ICU nurse so I defaulted to what she means when she talks about a "bypass". 

If Fistful meant gastric bypass, that's a little different.  I confess I don't know a whole bunch about what it takes to be medically qualified for gastric bypass, and if it's more "I want to be skinnier" or "You'll die of heart disease in 2 years without this".

Still think circumcision in modern American is predominantly cosmetic.  Maybe on a par with .....I dunno, maybe breast implants? Something accepted, not unhealthy, but not needed either.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I agree it is cosmetic as in unneccessary and elective (except to baby boys who have it forced on them while strapped down), but calling it "cosmetic" makes it sound harmless, which is why I prefer 'mutilation' or 'genital reduction surgery'. As if the procedure itself wasn't enough of a "complication", there are real chances of complete total disfunction and death. But it reduces the risk of urinary tract infections!

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201109/myths-about-circumcision-you-likely-believe

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »
Soap and water is well and good, but that assumes that the kid knows how to clean himself. We get a lot of boys in the 7-16 range that get some gnarly infections from inadequate (or nonexistent) hygiene.

Cosmetic or not, circumcision still has hygienic benefits.

White Horseradish

• friend
Re:
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
Soap and water is well and good, but that assumes that the kid knows how to clean himself. We get a lot of boys in the 7-16 range that get some gnarly infections from inadequate (or nonexistent) hygiene.

I am afraid to ask where this is.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »
First, to set the record straight on a couple of things:

White Horseradish (unwittingly) equated circumcision with cardiac bypass surgery, by claiming that circumcision is a "body mod," like ear gauging, and that "body mods are body mods." I thought it would go without saying that circumcision is NOT like the body modification involved in cardiac bypass surgery. He later seems to have gone back on his claim, as it's been made clear that body modifications are done for different reasons, and with different effects. I won't bother explaining how getting your infant kid circumcised is different from sumdood getting a flaming skull tattoo, as it really is obvious.

I agree it is cosmetic as in unneccessary and elective (except to baby boys who have it forced on them while strapped down), but calling it "cosmetic" makes it sound harmless, which is why I prefer 'mutilation' or 'genital reduction surgery'.

Circumcision: Seems cosmetic to me.  Even if religiously motivated.  The original cleanliness motivations seem to have been overcome by modern society.  

Cosmetic doesn't mean unnecessary or elective. Nor does it mean "motivated by religious or health concerns."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cosmetic

adjective
serving to beautify; imparting or improving beauty, especially of the face.
used or done superficially to make something look better, more attractive, or more impressive:

As I've already pointed out, circumcising one's infant child couldn't be considered cosmetic, unless the parent's chief motive is improving the appearance, the looks, the style of the kid's undercarriage.  =| And I think we can all agree that would be a rare, to non-existent, motive.

To be fair, Webster's add another definition.
: used or done in order to improve a person's appearance

: done in order to make something look better

: not important or meaningful

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cosmetic

If you buy that definition, and if you think circumcision is a harmless, meaningless procedure, then you might call it cosmetic. Our anti-circumcisionist-in-chief obviously disagrees. That wouldn't touch the religious motives, though. You may not believe in a person's religious purpose in circumcising their kid, but you can't say it's not meaningful.

I did ask if he knew of serious conditions that snipping would help.  I guess I would amend that to "common" serious conditions.

Again, let's go back to the OP. A number of health benefits have (wrongly or rightly) been claimed for circumcision. I didn't think I had to explain those, either.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:20:12 PM by fistful »