Author Topic: The patients are listening  (Read 2925 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: The patients are listening
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:07:53 AM »
Real professionals.  ;/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
Certainly unprofessional and rude.

But cry me a freakin river.  You got your 'scope done and left.  Dude got half a mil because some folks were mean to him.  "Northern Virginia Syndrome" indeed.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
I'm a bit skeptical of the half mil payout; the jury specifically sought to make an example of the defendant to discourage others from similar misbehavior  Of course how I feel about such scapegoat payouts depends which side of the case I most see myself working  >:D

I'd be interested if they ever filed a criminal complaint against the doctor.  I don't know the law for that state but falsifying medical records is a usual category or subcategory of fraud. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
That's in my office building, downstairs from us.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
That's in my office building, downstairs from us.

Chris

Now you know who to go to for your next steel eel!

I'm sort of torn on this one. The falsification of medical records SHOULD be penalized, but by licensing boards.

The payout because they talked trash about him... I'm sort of on the fence over that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:22:17 AM »
I went drugless for my colonoscopy when my ride stiffed me at the last minute. Slight discomfort, but no monkey business. The hottie nurse and me talked fly fishing through the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMLKbXuv-xA
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
I found this part interesting. Can you really be considered a party to the conversation if you're unconscious?

The doctors’ attorneys argued that the recording was illegal, but the man’s attorneys noted that Virginia is a “one-party consent” state, meaning that only one person involved in a conversation need agree to the recording.

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
I have handled a few defamation claims in the malpractice setting.  Your malpractice insurance covers you for that, but not the punitive damages.  So the small amount of punitive damages that were assessed were paid out of pocket, not by the insurance company.

And I can see why plaintiff counsel wanted to get this case in front of a jury.  They were pissed off when they heard the recording and assessed a verdict accordingly.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »
I found this part interesting. Can you really be considered a party to the conversation if you're unconscious?

The doctors’ attorneys argued that the recording was illegal, but the man’s attorneys noted that Virginia is a “one-party consent” state, meaning that only one person involved in a conversation need agree to the recording.

I wondered if that was why the recorder was supposedly left on "inadvertently" --for CYA reasons.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

I wondered if that was why the recorder was supposedly left on "inadvertently" --for CYA reasons.

How about P*YA reasons too?

*Probe...
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
That confused me until I saw your assterisk.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
I a truly shocked at some of the comments here.

Not only is there an expectation of professionalism (which includes not trash-talking your patient) in professional standards but also in the need of patients to feel confident they are getting appropriate care.  That expectation lowers quickly when you find out how your healthcare provider feels about you when your back is figuratively as well as literally turned.

As for the instruction to place  a false diagnosis in the patient record - it could be anything as small as fluffing the third-party reimbursement to what eventually turns out to be life threatening.  Whichever end of the spectrum it falls at, it results in a loss of confidence in the provider.

If recording while out like a light were ruled to be not a party to the conversation then baby monitors and all sorts of audio security systems are going to be wrapped up in that decision.  I don't think it's got a leg to stand on.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Color me unphased and unsympathetic to the doc and his team. There's an expectation of professionalism, and even more so an expectation that a procedure, and it's follow up, will be performed correctly and thoroughly.

Trash talking your patient, making fun of a medic condition, crying that he's a difficult stick, rushing a procedure, and failing to provide proper follow up care? Don't like getting fined and judgments do your *expletive deleted*ing job in a professional manner.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
Whichever end of the spectrum it falls at...

Whichever end of the...   Oh, you said "spectrum." OK, nevermind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »
I'm less concerned with the unprofessional, childish part than I am with the fraudulent diagnosis. The first deserves a smack on the wrist and some "grow the *expletive deleted*ck up" training as well as some punitive damages to the patient. At the very least no charge for the procedure and related expenses. The second deserves a loss of license and fines.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
I a truly shocked at some of the comments here.

Not only is there an expectation of professionalism (which includes not trash-talking your patient) in professional standards but also in the need of patients to feel confident they are getting appropriate care.  That expectation lowers quickly when you find out how your healthcare provider feels about you when your back is figuratively as well as literally turned.

As for the instruction to place  a false diagnosis in the patient record - it could be anything as small as fluffing the third-party reimbursement to what eventually turns out to be life threatening.  Whichever end of the spectrum it falls at, it results in a loss of confidence in the provider.

If recording while out like a light were ruled to be not a party to the conversation then baby monitors and all sorts of audio security systems are going to be wrapped up in that decision.  I don't think it's got a leg to stand on.

stay safe.

This. So this.

Trust is an important part of any medical procedure, especially when the patient is going to be unconscious.
The trash talk could also be indicative of poor patient care. It's a distraction and could have ramifications like a doctor missing something important or making an assumption that leads to a misdiagnosis. As it was, the doctor charted a non existing condition and ignored a rash (yes, it was a rash already being treated, but it was a medical condition and one would hope any doctor would take a moment and a gander to make sure it's what the patient thought) because he didn't give a crap about his patient or his job, apparently.

Now, I get that human nature is a nasty thing and that professionals often talk trash about their clients because clients are stupid.
But you talk trash in the privacy of the break room when you are not actually working.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
The only thing that is truly disturbing is the false diagnosis put on the chart. That's really really really bad. Maybe the part about avoiding/ignoring him afterwards (no patient follow-up? didn't quite get that part)...

All the rest? Meh... although all the rest, trash talking, etc. could be a symptom of what led to putting a false diagnosis on a medical chart. So yeah, complex issue, but the patient should get over himself... ego getting bruised while you are unconscious? Not worthy of a half million ca-ching! law suit. I don't see the defamation unless the Dr. tweeted "Mr. So n' So who lives on xyz St. is on my table and he has mutant syphylitic hemorroidal tuberculosis on the D! LOL ". We would have never known that, if it were not for the patient himself making it public now. If as a society we are going to sue Doctors for having a personal opinion about their patients we are going down the wrong road.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
I tend to agree about the commetary.  If the guy was awake, a decent bed-side manner is part of the job.  Outside of that, I could care less about talk.  In my job, we might cuss and bitch about things with the plant guys, but still maintain professional behavior in meetings or with customers/suppliers.  I wouldn't call the first part unprofessional at all.  

I also tend to agree with the doctor's lawyer that this should not have been a legal recording....but I am sure there are details to those rules I don't know about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge