Author Topic: GOP fears executive order on biometric guns  (Read 1442 times)

MechAg94

• friend
GOP fears executive order on biometric guns
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/203747-cornyn-to-holder-will-obama-force-biometric-guns

I saw this article linked today.  The main question that came to mind is what law comes anywhere close to allowing Obama to require this via executive order?  Why would anyone have to follow it?

Other than that, it seems like a smokescreen Cornyn is throwing up to make himself look better in an election year after he got challenged fairly hard in his primary. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: GOP fears executive order on biometric guns
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:04:07 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how they could even try to enforce such an order
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:18 AM »
Well, it's not like they've paid much attention to the rule of law in the past...
But I don't really see them being that obtuse.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
IANAL, but it's my understanding that EO's have very limited application outside of Executive Branch employees and those areas (such as foreign relations and trade) where the President has explicit authority; thinking back many decades, even when FDR outlawed gold by EO, it took enabling legislation by the congress first to let him get away with it.

I'm aware of no existing enabling legislation regarding biometrics on firearms.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
IANAL, but it's my understanding that EO's have very limited application outside of Executive Branch employees and those areas (such as foreign relations and trade) where the President has explicit authority; thinking back many decades, even when FDR outlawed gold by EO, it took enabling legislation by the congress first to let him get away with it.

Ooooooh!  Maybe it means he is going to require ALL executive branch employees to only be able to use biometric firearms in their duties!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/203747-cornyn-to-holder-will-obama-force-biometric-guns

I saw this article linked today.  The main question that came to mind is what law comes anywhere close to allowing Obama to require this via executive order?  Why would anyone have to follow it?

Other than that, it seems like a smokescreen Cornyn is throwing up to make himself look better in an election year after he got challenged fairly hard in his primary.  

Meh, politically grandstanding and everyone here knows it. Obama will likely make some "Hmm, that deserves further study" noises and score some points by making some references to 'making cops safe', 'making children safe', etc. But he's done very well by more or less not touching gun control with a ten foot pole. He's implemented basically the same gun control than any Republican president in the last 30 years. Reagan and Mulford/FOPA/Brady, Bush I and import restrictions, Bush II and import restrictions.

AFAIK, he's only been personally responsible for the South Korea Garand import ban. I do recall they were initially banned from import because we gave them to an allied nation, who would now profit from reselling them to us, which is not kosher under existing import laws. Not that any sane person really cares about that technicality, even if the root of it is not a horrible idea.

Bush I, Bush II, Clinton and Obama all have pulled firearm import bans, because the Constitution basically gives the executive branch near unlimited powers over the border. The SK Garand ban is fully legal and constitutional. It's still a bad idea.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »

This. There's a lot of hoopla over executive orders. But EOs technically are only supposed to be operating instructions to the executive branch on how to implement a law or the Constitution. While these can be disconcerting, as there is often a lot of leeway left in interpretation of the Constitution, law and case law, they don't trump any of the above.

Ooooooh!  Maybe it means he is going to require ALL executive branch employees to only be able to use biometric firearms in their duties!

I'd support that. Be good to know that their firearms were not functioning while on my property.  =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.