Author Topic: Islamic Militia Occupies the US Embassy Compound in Tripoli  (Read 2857 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Islamic Militia Occupies the US Embassy Compound in Tripoli
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
I guess the Obama response will depend on if he's on the fourth or seventeenth hole on the golf course. The story implies occupation versus the place being ransacked.  I would assume all sensitive materials had already been destroyed or removed, but you never know.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/31/islamic-militia-groups-says-it-has-secured-us-compound-in-libya/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Islamic Militia Occupies the US Embassy Compound in Tripoli
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »
Well, the Huffington Post and foreign news sources are covering the story. Didn't see anything from the NYY, WAPO, NBC, CBS or ABC yet. Maybe in a year?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
Dang it, now we have to wait until Oboma develops another strategy. :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
Residential compound does not = embassy
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
Well, they are technically on our turf,  so it shouldn't be that hard to flatten it with a missile now...  [ar15]

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »
Residential compound does not = embassy

And yet the Embassy a kilometer away has also been "secured".

Maybe what we need is a Russian duchess http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056800/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_87

Oh, yeah - and a company of Marines.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:05:35 AM »
What difference does it make?
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
What difference does it make?

One is sovereign US soil. The other is third world soil.

We really should move all of embassies in third world hellholes to outside town, ensure it is easily defendable, give the embassy Marines crew served weapons and not hire locals for security. But then again, I could rant about the State Dept all day.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »
Why do we need embassies in those places  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
I think it would be appropriate to drop a MOAB from time to time on every US site occupied by terrorists. (Including the US embassy in Tehran.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
I would assume all sensitive materials had already been destroyed or removed, but you never know.

One has to wonder why these places don't have remotely detonated demolition charges embedded so deeply in the walls that the place would pretty much have to be bulldozed to get them out.  Seems like one of the most practical base denial steps.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
We really should move all of embassies in third world hellholes to outside town, ensure it is easily defendable, give the embassy Marines crew served weapons and not hire locals for security. But then again, I could rant about the State Dept all day.

This.

Grounds to include a rather large helipad capable of handling our largest.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
Grounds to include a rather large helipad capable of handling our largest.

Hell, a runway capable of handling a C5 and/or a few C17s *once* wouldn't be unreasonable compared to the other expenses involved in these things.  It's only when you want to pound it with stuff like that repeatedly and still have the ambassador's Gulfstream get a smooth ride that it becomes a civil engineering mess.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
Hell, a runway capable of handling a C5 and/or a few C17s *once* wouldn't be unreasonable compared to the other expenses involved in these things.  It's only when you want to pound it with stuff like that repeatedly and still have the ambassador's Gulfstream get a smooth ride that it becomes a civil engineering mess.

State Dept in DC would never allow it. And never allow for an easily defensible location out of town. They're under the opinion that an occupied embassy, a dead ambassador or a handful of lower echelon employees without political connections are trivially outweighed by not having to deal with a host nation whining that we don't trust them. Dead service or security personnel don't count whatsoever, unless embarrassing news reports can't be blamed on someone else.

Diplomatic circles are a very weird kabuki theater. In my opinion, they cost us far more than they've saved our bacon. They're quite happy to throw US domestic industry under the bus, or on the flip side, throw the citizenry under the bus for a specific company. It all comes down to who bribed what bureaucrat or had the most pull at the time. "What's best for the American citizenry as a whole" is never a consideration. It's about lining up a sweet gig after retiring from State, or angling to get into a position to angle for a payday.

Another weird aspect is our foreign intelligence operates near exclusively out of State Department facilities.

The whole situation is fubar and has needed overhauling for decades.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »
Too hard to host dinner parties off embassy row. Embassy takeovers are rare. Cocktails are 6 nights a week. And remember they didn't cut down the palm tree in the embassy yard to clear a bigger lz in saigon till the end of the bug out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
Too hard to host dinner parties off embassy row. Embassy takeovers are rare. Cocktails are 6 nights a week.

Yup, but a private airstrip on the grounds is a hell of a prestigious thing in places where traffic can be a huge mess.

If you could sneak them in, it would be a good place to stash a couple of those A-10s that they're trying to get rid of, as support for a ground evac or against a ground assault.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re:
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »
Yup, but a private airstrip on the grounds is a hell of a prestigious thing in places where traffic can be a huge mess.

If you could sneak them in, it would be a good place to stash a couple of those A-10s that they're trying to get rid of, as support for a ground evac or against a ground assault.

I would be happy with some crew served weapons.  Heavier is better, since they won't have to be humped anywhere.   I am thinking 60, 81, 120mm mortars with HE, PGM, WP.  Ma Deuce, M240B& M249; MK19; M40 105mm recoilless rifle. And all the usual personal weapons: M4, M9, etc.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »
I would be happy with some crew served weapons.  Heavier is better, since they won't have to be humped anywhere.

AFAICT, DOD is completely unfamiliar with that concept.  Why else would soldiers ever be defending a fixed, fortified and well-stocked location with AR pattern rifles other than just long enough to get to more appropriate (larger caliber, mounted, better cooled, belt or hopper fed, and/or any of a dozen other things that make a gun far more deadly but harder to carry) weapons?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
Apparently, after this hit the press, the Commander in Chief has decided to send 350 Marines to re-claim the properties and hold down the fort(s) until something in some situation changes.

Part of me wonders why the Marines were not on hand when the embassy staff decamped for safer places.  The other part of me wonders who did what to get the Commander in Chief to order this because I'm pretty sure Putin will not be cowed, let alone impressed, by the decision.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
Apparently, after this hit the press, the Commander in Chief has decided to send 350 Marines to re-claim the properties and hold down the fort(s) until something in some situation changes.

Part of me wonders why the Marines were not on hand when the embassy staff decamped for safer places.  The other part of me wonders who did what to get the Commander in Chief to order this because I'm pretty sure Putin will not be cowed, let alone impressed, by the decision.

stay safe.

Actually the Marines are heading Iraq not Libya.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
Actually the Marines are heading Iraq not Libya.

Meh.  All those third world deserts are the same anyway.