Author Topic: Need a new sponsorship idea.  (Read 262 times)

Jim147

• friends
Need a new sponsorship idea.
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:10:21 AM »
Ok I'll try to keep this short.

My daughter is smart. Not just a little bit but she pushes me at this point.

Freshman in high school already going to her second state Science Olympiad. Already doing college classes. After she gets done with year of school, going to state and softball, she will go spend a month in college.

She now has a chance to do a week at the science and technology college building a satellite and launching it. The problem is the cost. $950 for the class. Three quarters of the way across the state so thinking $1200-1500 total.

We have paid for all the stuff before that. I have two surgeries coming up so I won't be making much for a while so looking for options for a corporate sponsor. She already has a couple of scholarships set up after high school but can't find any to pay for this.

I know I could try a go fund me or something, but I would think there are companies out there that would invest to get someone like her later.

Any thoughts?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
Re: Need a new sponsorship idea.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 04:51:33 AM »
SpaceX?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 05:20:10 AM »
I think your problem is going to be reaching the right person at such a company. She needs to create a LinkDn profile and browse for the recruitment sections of companies would be the best guess I have.

The other thing would be to see if there is any kind of grants available for this program through the college. The financial aid and program coordinators should be able to either help or may have ideas of their own.

She definitely needs to play the women in STEM angle as well. These companies and schools eat that *expletive deleted*it up
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 07:51:18 AM »
By any chance does the high school have a school foundation or 501(c)3 type arm that is donor driven?
Or a local org like Kiwanis or Rotary? If the groups won’t support it they at least have donor connections.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 04:41:13 PM »
Jim - I don't have any suggestions for you but did want to wish you luck with your surgeries and to your daughter as this could be a fantastic experience for her.  I have a niece that went to Space Camp at about the same age and she ended up working on the Shuttle boosters in Utah.  We get to describe her as a "blond-haired, blue-eyed rocket scientist".  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks everyone. She is enrolled. We will see if she makes the class. It's limited in size. I thought about SpaceX but beside bugging Elon, I wasn't sure how to proceed. Our town is less than 300 people now so nut much going on for local funding but we did find a scholarship program from the college once we started signing her up. We won't know for a month if she will get that, but we had someone step up to pay for this if not.

I need to keep looking into this because I think this is going to be a common thing for the next few years and I want her to have every opportunity to learn in the field she wants to make a career out of.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG