Author Topic: No Regrets After Arrest For Tampering With Long Island Red-Light Cameras  (Read 2044 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://patch.com/new-york/sachem/man-has-no-regrets-after-arrest-tampering-red-light-cameras-ronkonkoma-0

Federalist take:
Liberty-Hating Fascists Arrest American Hero For Disabling Red Light Cameras
http://thefederalist.com/2015/08/27/liberty-hating-fascists-arrest-american-hero-for-disabling-red-light-cameras/

Stephen Ruth, a 42-year-old New Yorker, was arrested earlier this week for neutering red camera lights, which act as automated revenue collection agents on behalf of Big Brother.

“In order to do this successfully, you only need a pair of balls and a painter’s extension rod,” Ruth says in a how-to video he published on YouTube.

After he uses an expandable pole to push a camera skyward, he boosts, “I just saved people about $10,000 today.”

Got linky from:
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/213278/
Back in 2012, Glenn put a quote from author James Scott on “Irish Democracy” into wide Insta-circulation:

One need not have an actual conspiracy to achieve the practical effects of a conspiracy. More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy,” the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people, than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.

Do Ruth’s actions (not the least of which, his how-to video) qualify as yet another example of Irish Democracy?

"Irish Democracy," eh?  I have little problem with monkeywrenching the surveillance state.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
He needs a superhero outfit, kinda like Angle Grinder Man: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Angle-Grinder-Man/196442500494
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I want to send this guy to all the intersections with red light camera's and automated timers that adjust the length of the lights for the amount of traffic the sensors pick up.

Why?

Because when you can't get two cars, that were parked and waiting for the green light, through an intersection without the last one technically running a red light, you got problems.

Do they take out the sensors and just set a time? Noooo... They reset it every couple months so you have this gradual decrease of how long that green light lasts until everyone is running the damn red light.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Pushing the camera out of alignment?  That's absolutely being nice compared to what they do over on the other side of the pond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnlRurTwFg

Hint:  It involves a tire on fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
I wish they'd put them in the ghetto areas i drive through every day where people think red only suggests a vague notion of stopping- then again, what are the authitays going to do? Suspend licenses of people who don't licenses to start with?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
The red light cameras are a scam and need to be burned at the stake.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
Agreed.  Automated enforce that is just used as a cash machine at the expense of proper traffic management.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:35:12 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some idea of how much they are hated in (f)GB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-iUpmynIBE
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
It amazes me how many people I have talked to that buy into the stated benefits of red light cameras and will argue with you about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: No Regrets After Arrest For Tampering With Long Island Red-Light Cameras
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
I wouldn't object to red light cameras nearly as much if they'd also use them to control green light catapults; if you're not up to at least 10mph 5 seconds after the green, you get launched.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 09:55:45 AM »
I wouldn't object to red light cameras nearly as much if they'd also use them to control green light catapults; if you're not up to at least 10mph 5 seconds after the green, you get launched.
And red light anvils- if you blow through a red light, a 500lb anvil gets dropped on you. #ACMEtrafficenforcement

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »

I agree. My earlier statement about putting them in the ghetto was mostly tongue-in-cheek... red light cameras only serve as revenue generators, so they tend to go up where people have the ability to pay up, not where they would actually do any good.
Thankfully, they are illegal in my state.

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
I'd like to volunteer to be a juror when Stephen Ruth (from the OP) goes on trial.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
I'd like to volunteer to be a juror when Stephen Ruth (from the OP) goes on trial.  >:D

Wanna practice some "juror discretion," now do you?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »
My 2 cents even though we have talked about it before:

1.  If they only ticketed people who actually entered the intersection on a red rather than didn't make it out of the intersection, it might be manageable.  Or if there were a second or two leeway.  Of course, they can time the stop lights to give leeway too if traffic safety is actually the goal.

2.  If traffic safety is really that critical, surely they can post officers in patrol cars in visible locations to monitor traffic and ticket people running the light.  If people who might run a red see cops in the area all the time, they might be less likely to take the chance.  Of course, that also assumes traffic safety is the actual goal. 

3.  Around Houston, they are typically paying a company a commission to write tickets.  They usually get XX% of every ticket paid or something like that.  Would you be okay if the city hired or contracted with private individuals to go around writing traffic tickets for a cut of the revenue?  Would you trust them not to do their level best to scam the system for more money?  If it were an LEO, how would you feel if you knew the police officer that pulled you over received a commission on every ticket written?   

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »
There are times I wish they made 12 gauge paintballs.

With real paint.

Black.

>:D
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »

Agreed. I got nailed for a LEGAL right turn. The camera goes off 2 seconds after the light turns red. The light was green for all three lanes, two straight and one right turn only. I had stopped on the yellow, and since the way was clear, made the right turn. Technically, it was legal. I was at a full stop when the light first turned red.
You can see in the damn picture that I wasn't far enough into the intersection that they could prove I hadn't stopped!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds