Author Topic: Work Boots  (Read 12001 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Work Boots
« on: October 06, 2008, 04:02:45 AM »
Need some decent, inexpensive work boots.  Suggestions?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Work Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:32:05 AM »
define "inexpensive".  Also what type of work will you be doing in them?  How long will you be on your feet?  Extremely hot or cold environment?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:52:27 AM »
lupinus is right, we need more specifics.

How often will you wear em'?  If we're talking once a month or so on a weekend camping trip, whatever you can get on the cheap.  If you plan on wearing them all the time, you'll soon find that you get what you pay for, and your feet and back will let you know if your new boots are any good.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:18:52 AM »
WSo the $200 EMS mountain hikers are out I guess.  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »
My favorites are Wolverines but only because they are comfortable right out of the box. Company pays for a new par of boots once/year, the Wolverines tend to fall apart on in slightly over a year's time of wearing them every day, the advantage they have is that they are very light in weight compared to other boots.  $110-130ish

DR Martins- I tend to wear these around the house and for everyday, and then rotate them in as my work boots when they start to look worn. These require a bit of break in but will last for years. Worn casually, they last 5+ years, worn as work boots, they last at least a year and that's with a lot of wear and tear on them to start with. $120-140ish

Caterpiller/ Harley Davidson work boots- are on the cheaper end of the spectrum, not bad on comfort, but are heavy. ~$80-100

Redwing- I'll never buy another pair of these again. They are solidly built and will last a long time (in my case this was a curse, not a blessing). The best fitting pair of these boots that I could find became extremely uncomfortable once broken in. They were extremely hard on my feet and my left big toe has a lot of calcification from it rubbing against the steel toe of the boot. $150ish+

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
I've had excellent luck with the Red Wing  model 734(?)
On my fourth or fifth pair over many years.

They're not on my feet as much as they used to be, but I'll buy another pair in the next several months
7-11 was a part time job.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
Need some decent, inexpensive work boots.  Suggestions?

Need more definition on use & such.

Also, define "inexpensive."

The least expensive total cost of ownership work boots* I have owned are Redwings.  They are comfy outta the box and last a long while.  I paid a little north of $100 on sale, most are $150-ish.

My first pair was worn 4-5 days/week for ~ 5 years.  That worked out to around $20/year.  I then had them re-soled for ~$50.  I bought an identical pair at that time, so the two ought to be good for ~10 more years until I get the newest pair resoled and finally retire the original pair.  Or would be, if I had not bought a another pair of Redwing roper work boots to get my stylin' on, when I am so inclined.

Avoid their "Worx" sub-brand.  They are common, "Made in China" boots.  Real Redwings are made in the USA.

I take care of my foot gear, doing the cleaning & polishing when they need it.  All of mine are black leather and steel toe & steel shank.

A buddy of mine used to buy a pair of cheap Wal-mart or some such made in China crappy work boots every year.  He came to visit once and the glued-on sole was giving way in the back so that he would make a "flop!" sound every other step.

I told him I refused to go out in public with such a mess, loaned him a pair of my GI leg boots and drove him to the Redwing dealer in Plano, TX.  He tried a pair on and said, "They don't hurt my feet.  Usually, my boots hurt for a month until I wear them in." 

Well, that was 9 years and 5 pairs of Redwing boots ago. 

* I have owned & worn out other brands: Wolverine, Carolina, GI leg & jungle boots, Wal-mart trash boots, & some others.  The MOST expensive TCO are the Wal-mart trash boots.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
DR Martins- I tend to wear these around the house and for everyday, and then rotate them in as my work boots when they start to look worn. These require a bit of break in but will last for years. Worn casually, they last 5+ years, worn as work boots, they last at least a year and that's with a lot of wear and tear on them to start with. $120-140ish

Not anymore.

I still have my pair from 2000 that were made in England. They have now moved production to China, and they're sh_t. I bought a new pair, was dismayed to see that there was a visible glue line at the seams, and the pull-on loop ripped right off. Made in China. Went right back in to the store.

hso

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »
Dasmi,

I'm the deputy H&S manager for a 3,000 person organization and we have to make recommendations all the time on protective footwear.  What are the requirements for the boots? Safety toe or toe and metatarsal protection or no safety toe? Anti slip or lug sole? Will you be climbing ladders or on pavement? Will you be walking or standing most of the time? Construction or industrial setting?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »
It took me a  bit of searching to find a pair that fit my feet well, but my steel toe, steel metatarsal guard Red Wings are way more comfortable than any of the non-protected boots I've used. Well, except the Oakley sport boots my unit did a group buy of for Iraq; but those didn't last one deployment.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Are there any US made Redwing boots under $200 anymore ???    =|

I got some Redwings in high school that lasted about 8 years including working at a sawmill. :)

Walmart boots/shoes for the most part have this weird "quality" in that they look like footwear, but they don't actually fit anything resembling human feet - you might as well throw out the shoes and wear the box  :rolleyes:

OTOH, years ago I got some really comfortable lightweight hiking boots from Walmart ("Oak Harbor" IIRC).  Of course, a few years of wearing them every single day later, they didn't carry them anymore and the look alikes were un-wear-able :(

I really need to replace my wildland fire/logging boots soon.  Sometime when I am feeling rich I guess I will go give Redwing a try again.  It's either that or spend $300++ for White's  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
Redwing- I'll never buy another pair of these again. They are solidly built and will last a long time (in my case this was a curse, not a blessing). The best fitting pair of these boots that I could find became extremely uncomfortable once broken in. They were extremely hard on my feet and my left big toe has a lot of calcification from it rubbing against the steel toe of the boot. $150ish+
Ironically, when i asked the same question on an electrician's forum, virtually all of them said redwing.

I ended up getting a pair at Farm and Fleet. They have a house brand that is pretty good. pretty comfy, and not real heavy.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »
Whatever brand you decide, before buying them check out www.6pm.com . I just discovered them while looking for a replacement pair of running shoes that I have and like, but couldn't find anymore. 6PM is I think an Internet "annex" of zappos.com, and sells previous models and overstocks of Zappos products at around 50% off. Not nearly as big as a selection, but if they happen to have what you want, you can save a ton of ducats.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 11:58:03 AM »
Will wear them a few days a week.  No hot or cold extremes, steel toe not needed.  General working boots.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 12:05:17 PM »
If you go on Doc Marten's website they do have a "classic" line or some such thing . Those are the shoes they started making in England again. They cost a little more but they're definitely worth it. I have a pair of their steel toe oxfords from '01 and a pair of 10 hole steel toe boots from 01 as well. Other then some minor scuffs you'd think the boots were brand new, The shoes however have bald soles. Once they come out with a "classic" version of them I'll buy 10 pairs to sock away. As for the work boots, if there's a Marshalls near you check them out. They almost always have timberlands at a good price. Usually comfortable and long lasting. Cheers,
Shawn

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
Are there any US made Redwing boots under $200 anymore ???    =|
Yes.  Most are in the $125-$200 range.

I just priced out a spanking new pair of logging boots and they retail for ~$265.  Steel toe, steel shank, lug sole, etc.

Dude at the RW dealer knows me and I usually get ~15% off retail.

[/quote]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »
If you go on Doc Marten's website they do have a "classic" line or some such thing . Those are the shoes they started making in England again. Shawn

They started making them in England again?!?!?! Awesome, I always wanted a pair but by the time I got around to buying a pair they'd switched to Chi-com manufactor.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »
Doc Martins have English made ones again?  I may have to look into a pair for a more casual dress.
Right now it's either my Ariat (Made in China, I know...but wow they're nice) cowboy boots, or my $200 Red Wings.
Both are great, but a little too much for most outings.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »
I bought a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters about a year ago at a local Gander Mountain that was relocating.  They were marked down to $49.95 from the original $134.95, so I snagged them. 

I wish I would've bought a second pair at that price and just put them in the closet for later use.  I've found them to be comfortable and long-wearing, even when walking concrete factory floors all day long.  About the only gripe I had was that they turned my socks red for the first month or so. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
Will wear them a few days a week.  No hot or cold extremes, steel toe not needed.  General working boots.
In that case Cat's should be good enough.  If you don't mind wally world you could actually try on some of theirs and see if any fit, for just around the house chores they are good enough IMO.

I'd check to see what the local hardware or sporting goods store has though on sale/clearance. 
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
Red Wing, Danner, Wolverine. Those are my top choices. Irish Setter, Rocky, and Chippewa make some good boots. Sometimes Cabela's puts out a winner.

For a few days a week I'd probably look at some Wolverine or Cabela's boots, but Red Wings are probably the most well-received boots all-in-all. They're a "passage into manhood" type of boot up here.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »

Not anymore.

I still have my pair from 2000 that were made in England. They have now moved production to China, and they're sh_t. I bought a new pair, was dismayed to see that there was a visible glue line at the seams, and the pull-on loop ripped right off. Made in China. Went right back in to the store.
There is/was a small company that took on the task of making Docs in England, with the old machinery etc, under another name though. Said to be just as good as the old Docs marked with Made In England. Damned if I can remember the name of it though. I've searched around, and I can't find the bloody company. Was a couple of reviews of them on a skinhead/punk message board I hung out on, said they were excellent quality.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
Huh.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=4840910
That price is pretty damn tempting, and reviews are positive...

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
Danner.  They have some that are made in China, haven't tried those, but their made in America ones are some of the best boots ever made.  For those of you needing some desert combat boots, 5.11 makes the best.  The HRT tactical, it's made in China, but unlike those POS Oakleys and Converses, they don't fall apart easily.  And unlike all the traditional combat boot brands they don't hurt like hell.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016