Author Topic: Work Boots  (Read 12002 times)

Calumus

• friend
Re: Work Boots
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 05:07:17 PM »
The line is their "Vintage" line    http://www.dmusastore.com/pc-2339-8-vintage-1461.aspx                I did buy a pair of their asian made sneakers that are very comfortable to kick around in. I don't think I'd actually want to run in them though. The quality really isn't anywhere close to the UK shoes. Same with the pair of their clogs I have. If they come out with a steel toe version of these like their 1925 I really will buy 10 pairs and store them. That will be enough to get me through the rest of my life. If you buy these tell everyone you know who might be interested about them. If they sell enough they might see that its worthwhile to expand their line up and then maybe I could get my 1925's :)  Viking, if you remember that name, or you stumble across it again please post it. Cheers,
Shawn

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »
Huh.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=4840910
That price is pretty damn tempting, and reviews are positive...

I bought my winter boots from Walmart.  Not too bad, but they don't see a crap load of use.  A little hunting and fishing in the winter, plus any snow-play with the family, and when I'm shoveling snow.  Need to buy some top quality socks for winter....so I'm piling on....
Anyone recommend a good, warm winter sock?  Something that will wick moisture when I hike a mile to a treestand in the dark, and then keep me warm while I sit there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »
Huh.

I bought my winter boots from Walmart.  Not too bad, but they don't see a crap load of use.  A little hunting and fishing in the winter, plus any snow-play with the family, and when I'm shoveling snow.  Need to buy some top quality socks for winter....so I'm piling on....
Anyone recommend a good, warm winter sock?  Something that will wick moisture when I hike a mile to a treestand in the dark, and then keep me warm while I sit there.

For just cheap warm socks, I like the thick Remington Organic Cotton ones. They're comfortable.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »
Huh.

I bought my winter boots from Walmart.  Not too bad, but they don't see a crap load of use.  A little hunting and fishing in the winter, plus any snow-play with the family, and when I'm shoveling snow.  Need to buy some top quality socks for winter....so I'm piling on....
Anyone recommend a good, warm winter sock?  Something that will wick moisture when I hike a mile to a treestand in the dark, and then keep me warm while I sit there.

For just cheap warm socks, I like the thick Remington Organic Cotton ones. They're comfortable.

I'm okay with spending some money on them, as I'll probably wear 'em on the boat during winter Striper season, too. (please note there is only one "p" in that word)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »
Another vote for RedWings.  You may pay a little more up front but they are much cheaper in the long run.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 05:31:17 PM »
The line is their "Vintage" line    http://www.dmusastore.com/pc-2339-8-vintage-1461.aspx                I did buy a pair of their asian made sneakers that are very comfortable to kick around in. I don't think I'd actually want to run in them though. The quality really isn't anywhere close to the UK shoes. Same with the pair of their clogs I have. If they come out with a steel toe version of these like their 1925 I really will buy 10 pairs and store them. That will be enough to get me through the rest of my life. If you buy these tell everyone you know who might be interested about them. If they sell enough they might see that its worthwhile to expand their line up and then maybe I could get my 1925's :)  Viking, if you remember that name, or you stumble across it again please post it. Cheers,
Shawn
It just might be that the "Vintage Line" on the Doc Martens homepage are the ones made by that little company in the UK. Name sure feels right for it.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »
I just priced out a spanking new pair of logging boots and they retail for ~$265.  Steel toe, steel shank, lug sole, etc.

Unfortunately, that's what I need ... :(

I replaced my HS Redwings with Chippewas, and then later a pair of some famous name brand that right now I can't remember but they are out of business now.  Bought a pair of Walmart logging boots that hurt my feet so bad I gave them away and bought a pair of decent Carolinas through Bailey's which are the nearly shot ones I have now.  So aside from town shoes and lightweight hiking boots and cowboy boots, basically four pair saw me through almost 40 years.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »
Yeah, my Carolinas just gave out, which is why I'm looking.  They had been resoled 7 years back, and had been given light duty since, but the stitching and the meat the stitching goes through is shot.

Harumph.  They are likely as cheap now as they ever will be in the future.

"Four pairs, forty years."
Yep, buying quality up front will cost less in the end.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:57 PM »
Unfortunately, that's what I need ..

Take a look at Danner boots.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

hso

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »
If you don't need protective footwear these folks have given you plenty of options.

I'll add that the most comfortable pair of "steel" toe boots I've ever had are a pair of HiTech side zips.  So comfortable that I use them around the farm/woods as well as on hazmat sites.  I'll lament their passing but they've done well over the past 5 years.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 11:52:08 PM »
Well, as far as decent quality, my snow-day boots are Bates patrol boots of some kind with an ice tread, steel toe and a good bit of thinsulate. They're comfortable, they have a side zipper, and they refuse to show any wear whatsoever.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:22 AM »
I'll second all the recommendations for Red Wing products. You don't necessarily have to cough up for the highest dollar items, but quality ain't cheap.

Whatever you buy, buy two pair and wear them in rotation. This goes for all everyday footwear, BTW. It's better for your feet and for the shoes.

Aside from my time as a grunt, where I first learned to take care of my feet, I spent a year working in a shoe repair shop. The third-generation cobbler and cordwainer I worked for told me that three pairs of shoes bought and worn in rotation will last as long as five pair bought, worn out, and replaced one at a time.

I also highly recommend Dr. Scholl's gel inserts for whatever shoe you buy.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
Redwings. If you are fortunate enough to wear something north or south of a size 10 you can often find them heavily discounted online, including the evilbay.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »
These guys have some really sweet ones....

http://nakedcomputing.org/obama_regiment.mp4
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:22:58 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »
Redwings. If you are fortunate enough to wear something north or south of a size 10 you can often find them heavily discounted online, including the evilbay.

LAK:

I was happy in my ignorance, for some reason never doing the math, (ebay + redwing = redwing boots on the cheap).

You are a bad, bad man:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280272863980&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
I am a desk jockey who also wears steel toes if I need to go outside so light use.  I have had Sketcher brand shoes a few times in the last 5 years and they are inexpensive and normally last the year.  Most other brands like Wolverine and Caterpillar I have tried don't work any better.  I don't think I have ever had Red Wings before.  I might have to look at them next year.

The biggest problem I have is I normally just find a pair of boots at the Academy Sports store locally.  I would say that almost every other pair of boots I try on is not identical between the pair.  The padding and other stuff will be shaped different making walking around awkward.  My normal failure point is the heels of the boots collapsing making them hurt my feet a lot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
Another thing to consider is that most work boots benefit from removing the insole and replacing it with a quality one (Dr. Scholls, 2oz. Miracle, etc.).  A good insole will make a good boot feel even better....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »
Since I mostly work while firmly planted in a chair, I am clueless.  I do however know that Boot Barn usually has coupon codes floating around teh intarwebz for a nice discount, usually 20% off retail.  This is why I have good, durable cowboy boots instead of cheap and crappy ones.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
Since I mostly work while firmly planted in a chair, I am clueless.  I do however know that Boot Barn usually has coupon codes floating around teh intarwebz for a nice discount, usually 20% off retail.  This is why I have good, durable cowboy boots instead of cheap and crappy ones.

You have linky? And is this a mail order outfit, or a brick and mortar?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2008, 09:37:39 PM »
Mail order.  Google for boot barn and coupon.  The best ones float around on coupon sites.  I shall check if I have a current code in my inbox as well.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
I've always had good luck with Danner-but then again I've only bought two pairs since 2000, and they're both still going. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 12:32:42 AM »
Danner's good stuff.

Interesting side note:
When interviewing returning Marines from Iraq, every single boot manufacturer had a serious design flaw in the boots we issued them.  Danner, 5.11, Altama, others.  They ALL failed...just differently.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
Danner's good stuff.

Interesting side note:
When interviewing returning Marines from Iraq, every single boot manufacturer had a serious design flaw in the boots we issued them.  Danner, 5.11, Altama, others.  They ALL failed...just differently.

What were the major failures?  That seems to be something that the manufacturers would want to know and [hopefully] fix...
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

LAK

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
jfruser
LAK:

I was happy in my ignorance, for some reason never doing the math, (ebay + redwing = redwing boots on the cheap).

You are a bad, bad man:
I know. But still; you got a nice pair of Redwings for ten bucks.  =D

I picked up a new pair of pre-stick-on sole kangaroo Wingshooters awhile back. I spent alot more than ten, but half retail all the same.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
Danner's good stuff.

Interesting side note:

What were the major failures?  That seems to be something that the manufacturers would want to know and [hopefully] fix...

That data has been captured in a systematic fashion and been passed up & out.  The USMC folks I work with have a good working relationship with most suppliers. 

I can't recall the exact failures by manufacturer of the top of my head, but none would wear out before they failed in their unique fashion.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton