Author Topic: The World's Greatest Aviation Innovations  (Read 1832 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: The World's Greatest Aviation Innovations
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »
What, no JDAMs?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:43:30 PM »
I don't think the VLJ is one of the "Greatest Innovations"

The Eclipse 500 sucks ass. I mean, it was awesome back when they were dreaming it up and pricing it just under 1 million, but it's a POS now that they are delivering them for over 3 times the original price. The damn things don't even have a proper avionics suite- they are delivered with a freakin' handheld GPS because Eclipse's avionics deal fell through...And they had trouble with the engines...

Not Good. Cessna and others are set up for the VLJ sales better...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
1. The high-bypass turbofan engine.
2. Rotary-wing aircraft that don't beat themselves to death.
3. Soon-to-come:
a. adaptive-wing
b. RAMJET and SCRAMJET propulsion for ultra-high flight
c. really capable UAVs.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

TexasRifleman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »
After years in the cockpit there is only one true innovation that matters:    Relief Tubes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »
After years in the cockpit there is only one true innovation that matters:    Relief Tubes

Speaking of relief tubes, back during my days with the Az Wing of the CAF, I crewed Sentimental Journey, their
B-17G Flying Fortress.  We used to give tours of the old girl, and one of the things people invariably asked was, "What's that?", while pointing at the relief tube.
Our semi-stock answer, depending on who was asking, was delivered very seriously. "That is the emergency tail wheel inflation system.  You blow into that funnel on the end of the tube to re-inflate the tail wheel in case of an emergency.  Would you like to try it out?"
You would be surprised how many people wanted to try it out.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:14:34 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:08:08 PM »

The large mouth Gatorade and 1 liter Pepsi bottles are great for this purpose, too, plus you have a ready made Pee BombTM*

*Not that I have ever used one in anger

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:47:27 PM »
1) The Electronic Engine Control (EEC). We hardly ever have to use rig pins. Also, most of the time the engine can tell us what's wrong with it.
2) Thrust Reversers. Ever watched a loaded C-17 back itself up a 2% grade? They can.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
The Electronic Engine Control (EEC). We hardly ever have to use rig pins. Also, most of the time the engine can tell us what's wrong with it.

I wrote Windows software to talk to those things, only we called them ECUs.  Somewhere tonight in the mideast some poor sucker is probably using my s/w to work on a helicopter  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
...back during my days with the Az Wing of the CAF, I crewed Sentimental Journey, their B-17G Flying Fortress.

Cool!  I always wanted to go up in the -17.  Saw it flying as recently as a few years ago(it may still be, but I don't live near Falcon Field anymore).  I tell you, there's nothing quite like an old airplane, or warship(toured the battleship USS Massachusetts once - amazing).  Something about the way things were built those days just speaks to me in a way that modern things just don't.