Author Topic: Stevie Ray Vaughan  (Read 1614 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Stevie Ray Vaughan
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Anyone else a fan?  Anyone ever see him live?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Stevie Ray Vaughan
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:17:53 PM »
Huge fan here. Even the albums that critics panned are great.

The first time I was exposed to Stevie Ray was when I saw the video for "Cold Shot" on MTV. It was so long ago I don't remember when that was, but I was hooked.

I still kick myself for not seeing him live, but he always played Alpine Valley here in Wisconsin, which is one of the worst venues for music there is.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:20:43 PM »
I had a chance to go to his last concert at Alpine Valley. I've been kicking myself for missing it ever since.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »
SRV is incredible! I wish I could have seen him. I have most everything he released.
He was Eric Clapton's favorite guitar player.

After a Wisconsin show with fellow guitar greats Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and Stevie's brother, Jimmie on 26 August, 1990, Stevie hopped on a helicopter with Eric Clapton's band on the way to Chicago. Clapton declined the ride at the last moment. Tragically, the helicopter crashed not long after midnight on the 27th and Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed at the age of 35. He was buried in a private ceremony at Laurel Land Cemetery in Dallas, Texas on 31 August. After his death, Stevie's older brother Jimmie compiled the album The Sky is Crying, which included original songs and studio outtakes. It went to number ten on the charts and went platinum in just three months.

SRV

The day the music died. sad
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:16:08 PM »
I was a big fan.  I saw him once, but I kick myself occasionally for not seeing him whenever he played Antone's back when I lived just a few blocks away.  He played there pretty regularly and I always figured I'd see him the next time.  One morning I picked up the paper and found out there wouldn't be a next time.  sad
For entertainment purposes only.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »
Big fan here.  I wish Bon Jovi took the helicopter at Alpine Valley like he was supposed to.  angry
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »
Steve Ray Who? Tongue

But seriously, I've maybe listened to something of his once or twice. Any album or song recommendations for someone who may wish to get an overview of his playing?
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
When I audition for new stereo equipment like amps and speakers, one of the CDs I take along is Stevie Ray Vaughan's The Sky is Crying.

Little Wing is the track I use to run the components through their paces. 

(My other Cd is Diana Krall)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:19 PM »
My favorites by him would be Texas Flood, The Sky is Crying, Tin Pan Alley, Dirty Pool.  Not in any particular order.
Oh, and In the beginning is a great album.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »
I like his music, but its forever tainted with the start of the "Crazy Years" in my life.  Not a happy time for me.

Sad that, but C'est la vie.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 06:51:07 AM »
(My other Cd is Diana Krall)
I need to check her out. I saw her briefly, on one of those "all the jazz greats" CD commercials and I think I need to get me some.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:56:16 AM »
Steve Ray Who? Tongue

But seriously, I've maybe listened to something of his once or twice. Any album or song recommendations for someone who may wish to get an overview of his playing?

TSK TSK you young child.  Go out and find anything with him involved and listen to it.  You will not be disappointed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »
I'm a big fan of his music, but never got to see him.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »
I like some of his songs, but I am not a big fan.  I am always surprised how many people get mad at me or look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that.  I like some of his stuff, but it is just not my favorite style I guess.  I think I was tainted by the copycats who weren't as good.  I'll probably pick up his best-of album and see where it goes from there.  I certainly do have some worse music on my iPod.

To be honest, he was popular when I was in school and getting into Led Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, and other bands.  It just wasn't on my radar at the time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge