Author Topic: Usenet  (Read 1743 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Usenet
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »
Anyone know of a free usenet server I can connect into?  I use to use the servers provided by Road Runner, till they decided that they could get rid of the servers without angering too many people.  Their proposed solution?  Buy access from a third party.  Great - here I thought I paid Road Runner for those services!  Guess not!   angry

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Usenet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:04:03 AM »
What about google groups?

Haven't used Usenet in nearly 10 years, it was a complete cesspool before I "discovered" web based subject forums like TFL (to name one we'd all know).

Chris

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:11:38 AM »
Slashdot did a story not too long ago about Verizon dumping the alt.* tree entirely.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/15/1258238

I'm sure if you look through the comments you'll find some suggestions on where to go for pay service.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
Google provides indirect access to usenet. I haven't used google in a while for that because it's a real hassle but it is doable if your ISP doesn't provide usenet service.

Better have a thick skin and a tolerance for stupidity if you add usenet to your reading list, though. Usenet can be useful but one has to know how to quickly filter out the drek for it to be so.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »
What about google groups?

Haven't used Usenet in nearly 10 years, it was a complete cesspool before I "discovered" web based subject forums like TFL (to name one we'd all know).

Chris

FREE IPOD

REFINANCE TODAY

HOT GIRLS FREE

Re: FREE IPOD

Re: Re: Re: HOT GIRLS FREE

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »
Google provides indirect access to usenet. I haven't used google in a while for that because it's a real hassle but it is doable if your ISP doesn't provide usenet service.

Better have a thick skin and a tolerance for stupidity if you add usenet to your reading list, though. Usenet can be useful but one has to know how to quickly filter out the drek for it to be so.

Yea, I've been on it for a while.  The metalworking group has some really sharp people in it.

I'm not really a fan of using google groups because I know that most worthwhile posters (myself included) filter google groups posts out, since 98 out of 100 are spam.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
Not to mention the neverending flamewars and trolls.  The mountain bike group I used to frequent is STILL beset by a particular troll. 

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
These days Usenet is (mostly) a file distribution system.  If that's what you're after I suggest a Giganews account. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
Giganews is comparatively expensive.  Usenetprovider, Easynews, and dozens of other providers offer similar services for much, much cheaper.

Giganews does have amazing retention, however.  I think they're up to four or five *years* for text-only groups.  And they have SSL, which most others don't.

Your best bet may be to purchase a chunk of transfer with no expiration date.  I have the unlimited DSL plan from AstraNews (~70 day retention for binaries, much higher for text groups, maxes out my connection at 750k/s), but they also offer 25gigs for $10.  And for a text-only user, it'd take you forever and ever to use up 25 gigs.

Providers used to offer text-only plans, which worked out to just a few bucks a year, but I guess Google News killed that off.  I checked some of the bigger providers for you and couldn't find anything.