Author Topic: Use public wifi, become a felon  (Read 1645 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Use public wifi, become a felon
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
A man charged with a felony after using wifi from his car outside the coffee shop. I so wish I was kidding. At least he bargained it down.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7.html
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Use public wifi, become a felon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »
Reminds me of a quote or scenario...Rand maybe?

Something like "Eventually there were so many laws, many contradictory, that you couldn't help but break several during the course of a normal day...every man became a criminal" or such.
That's going to bug me now.

Sheesh. Don't do anything at all because you might break the law or offend someone. ;/

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »
Milanowski didn't immediately cite or arrest Peterson, mostly because he wasn't certain a crime had been committed. "I had a feeling a law was being broken," the chief said.

....wow. So obscure, so innocent a "crime" that no one is hurt and no one knows if it's illegal. Yeah, better get right on that one, chief...  ;/
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »
Go straight to felony.

Do not pass through misdemeanor on the way, either.   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
heck i could be doing triple life for grand theft wifi
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
However, Peterson won't be going to prison for piggybacking. Because he has no prior record, Peterson will have to pay a $400 fine, do 40 hours of community service and enroll in the county's diversion program.

Didn't he start off getting into trouble by diverting wifi?  Now they are diverting him under the supervision of the state controllers? :police: Something sems a bit mixed up here.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
...were aware that using an unsecured Wi-Fi connection without the owner's permission--a practice known as piggybacking--was a felony.

So, If I were to leave my my landline laying in the yard, attached to a phone unsecured for any to use, knowing that it was unsecured and open to any Tom, Dick or Harry to use, it would be a felony for them to use it?

*Goggle*

Those who leave their Acess Points open for all to use with no manner of authentication have no leave to claim illegal access when others avail themselves of the open portal.  Even the simplest of security measure (easily crackable though they be) provide at least the claim of propriety.  Doing NOTHING to keep others out strikes me as folly at best....

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
Elsewhere, burglary is a  .
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »
Key to the crime is the 'without authorization' aspect'  I think it argueable, by common practice, that open access = open authorization for common incidental usage.  Good luck getting someone to roll the dice with that arguement when facing a 5 year felony vs a community service plea bargain tho.

I like trotting out this law when talking with people about the 'sanctity' of law.  The by the letter folks don't like clear examples of when the intent is clearly missed by the letter.  Altho a great deal are willing to stand by the process of post dammage correction; people imprisoned unjustly getting enough press to prompt legislative change.  I think their natural assumption is that it would never be them with their lives ruined.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »
A man charged with a felony after using wifi from his car outside the coffee shop. I so wish I was kidding. At least he bargained it down.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7.html

Wow. That is old news. I remember when it was new news and nobody made a fuss about absurd felonies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »
Wifi in public?  I don't know what that is, but it sounds awful kinky.  Throw him in the slammer!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »
Sounds like a LEO with an axe to grind.....the perp probably got the last chocolate sprinkle at the donut shop....  :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a quote or scenario...Rand maybe?

Something like "Eventually there were so many laws, many contradictory, that you couldn't help but break several during the course of a normal day...every man became a criminal" or such.

I think we're already there.... :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.