Author Topic: Use only Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.  (Read 6225 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Use only Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
I'm getting some work done on my car today after I discovered last night that one of my shocks died.  Another customer is here for an oil change on his new Chevy Malibu. The tech comes in with the oil filler cap in his hand and says that Chevy requires only Mobil 1 be used.  I didn't think a "normal" engine would require a synthetic oil.  Is this like requiring premium gas?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Use only Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
synthetic oil is an excellent product, but i didn't know that car manufacturers were requiring it.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
IIRC, one of the Corvette models required synthetic.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
IIRC, one of the Corvette models required synthetic.

Chris

Requiring special oil for high performance engines makes sense, but the Malibu is a sedate sedan.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
Didn't know anybody "required" it, but some engines use as light as 0-20W oil and I think that is only available in Syn.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Requiring special oil for high performance engines makes sense, but the Malibu is a sedate sedan.

Says you!   :P  :P  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

It was, at the time, a pretty simple engine for a high performance car.  The Malibu likely has a more advanced engine with even tighter tolerances (this being at least 10 years later).

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
Since about 2002-04 ish, it's become much more common to see OEM requirements for wither synthetic or a synthetic blend.  Tolerances have gotten much tighter then they used to be and good, thin oil is the only way to make it through the warranty period.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »
There is no requirement for synthetic oil, the recommended oil is Dexosâ„¢ lisenced. It's not an oil industry or SAE standard. Not many have paid the royalties to use the Dexosâ„¢ logo.

Is is better? I don't know what their standards are. Is is a money making scheme? Yep. http://gmdexos.com/

This reminds me of the Dexcool antifreeze 15 years ago that turned to sludge before they changed the formula.

Not all oils labeled synthetic really are. The standard motor oils are Group 2, you can get them at Mal-Wart for less than $20 per gallon. Most synthetic oils are actually group 3, and really they are just the good batches of group 2 oils when the refinery has a good day, and the additive packages are usually better. Group 4  is PAO, and they are the synthetic oils. Mobil 1, AMSoil, etc. fall into this category. They have a much wider temperature range and are useful in the arctic and turbocharged vehicles. They also last longer before breaking down, but that's a double edged sword. No engine is perfect, you will have blowby fuel dilluting the oil over time, I'd rather use the cheaper stuff and change it more often.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
Rotella T6 synthetic. Good,. and also cheap.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
Rotella T6 synthetic. Good,. and also cheap.

That's great oil if you need a 5w40 weight oil. Not so good if you need 0w20 or 20w50.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:56:56 PM »
Not all oils labeled synthetic really are. The standard motor oils are Group 2, you can get them at Mal-Wart for less than $20 per gallon. Most synthetic oils are actually group 3, and really they are just the good batches of group 2 oils when the refinery has a good day, and the additive packages are usually better. Group 4  is PAO, and they are the synthetic oils. Mobil 1, AMSoil, etc. fall into this category.

It all depends -- on your definition of "synthetic."

Several years ago, Mobil sued a number of the other makers of "synthetic" motor oils, claiming that Mobil-1 was synthetic and the others were only synthetically-modified petroleum oils. Mobil lost. The data showed that, regardless of how they got there, the final products were essentially and effectively the same.

Soon after getting their posteriors handed to them in court, Mobil announced that Mobil-1 had been reformulated. That was when the containers first started using the term "Tri-Synth" (or something with "Tri-" in it). Which means Mobil threw in the towel and started making Mobil-1 the same way the other guys make theirs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
An Amsoil rep promised my uncle that if he went with their oil he would be fine going 25,000 miles on a change, and also said that if he used their oil and their special filter, he would never have to change his oil again as long as he had the truck (2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel), AND they would guarantee it against oil-related damage.  This special filter is apparently some $$$ up front and has to be installed because it is not just a filter but some tubing and such.  They called it a bypass filter.  Apparently they don't sell too many because people don't want to fork out the $$$ up front.

Interesting claim to make, and it certainly turns the general knowledge of oil changing on its head.

Now that I am reminded of it I did some quick googling:  http://www.tsadvancedsynthetics.com/facts/AMSOIL_By-Pass_Oil_Filter_System.htm
Apparently one guy went 400,000+ miles on a diesel and never changed the oil with this system.  Engine was torn down and found almost no wear.  :O
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
IIRC, I also recall some aftermarket oil filter that was essentially a giant roll of paper. Although tougher and thinner than what would be on your usual roll of paper towels or TP.

All you had to do was top off oil losses, and never change anything but the paper roll. It worked because it had several thousand times the surface area of a regular filter.

I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

Soon after getting their posteriors handed to them in court, Mobil announced that Mobil-1 had been reformulated. That was when the containers first started using the term "Tri-Synth" (or something with "Tri-" in it). Which means Mobil threw in the towel and started making Mobil-1 the same way the other guys make theirs.

The difference is a group III (dino-juice) base stock with a synthetic additive package or a group IV or V (full syth) base stock.  The full synth products do have a slight edge if measure to the Nth degree, but for the real world a blend works for us mere mortals.  Mobil got their knickers in a knot because Castrol was using a group III base stock with a synth additive package and calling it "synthetic".

As for oil change intervals... the 3/36 recommended OCI is a holdover from the bald old days when motor oil was almost an afterthought.  It was some brown greasy stuff that was liquid enough to pour into a bottle.  Now, even cheapo oils that meet an auto mfg's spec will go way beyond a 3/36 OCI without any appreciable loss in critical performance.  Go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com and visit the forums.  There are folks there who take stretching oil usuability to the max and are using oil analysis to determine when their oil is actually in need of changing.  With nothing more than regular filter changes and top offs some are seeing up to 15k on regular (group III) base stock oils and upwards of 25-30k on group IV and V synthetics.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:50:47 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
What about us low-mileage drivers?  I average about 6,800 miles per year and I've been doing my oil changes every 6 months, regardless of mileage.  Are the modern oils good for this type of driving?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
What about us low-mileage drivers?  I average about 6,800 miles per year and I've been doing my oil changes every 6 months, regardless of mileage.  Are the modern oils good for this type of driving?

You will do fine that way.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
Depends on how you put that 6800 miles on.  If it's a couple of longer runs where the engine gets to full operating temp for at least 20-30 minutes then you're fine with running the oil a bit longer. That's enough heat and time to evaporate away the condensation that can form inside your crankcase.  If you do a bunch of short hops that never really let the car get up to operating temp then you can have problems with condensation breaking down the oil ("chocolate milk" oil).  That's more of an issue and you would definitely need to change your oil more often in those conditions.

I would think a 6 month OCI would be stretching it for a short-hopper, but not egregiously so given the quality of modern motor oils (especially the better synthetics like Mobil 1).

Brad
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:50:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
An Amsoil rep promised my uncle that if he went with their oil he would be fine going 25,000 miles on a change, and also said that if he used their oil and their special filter, he would never have to change his oil again as long as he had the truck (2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel), AND they would guarantee it against oil-related damage.  This special filter is apparently some $$$ up front and has to be installed because it is not just a filter but some tubing and such.  They called it a bypass filter.  Apparently they don't sell too many because people don't want to fork out the $$$ up front.

Interesting claim to make, and it certainly turns the general knowledge of oil changing on its head.

Now that I am reminded of it I did some quick googling:  http://www.tsadvancedsynthetics.com/facts/AMSOIL_By-Pass_Oil_Filter_System.htm
Apparently one guy went 400,000+ miles on a diesel and never changed the oil with this system.  Engine was torn down and found almost no wear.  :O

Dude sith th ed diesel and the Amsol rep are both fulla *expletive deleted*it
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »
Dude sith th ed diesel and the Amsol rep are both fulla *expletive deleted*

I believe it after looking into it more.

The filter they are talking about is a bypass filter, which means it only receives about 5-10% of the output of the oil pump.  There is still a standard full-flow filter on the engine which receives 100% of the output of the pump, but then a small portion of that is diverted through the bypass filter and then returned back to the system.  A full-flow filter traps particles as small as about 20 microns, whereas the bypass system can trap sub-micron particles.  The extreme filtration probably explains why it only handles a portion of the oil coming through.  I imagine that you COULD build a sub-micron filter that could handle full-flow volume, but it would be enormous.

The reason that it works is that full synthetic oils simply do not break down over time, but eventually need to be changed because they get so dirty with the tiny particles which a full-flow filter can't remove.  If you have a sub-micron filter keeping your full synthetic oil clean, then you can run that same oil indefinitely.

Using the system, you still need to have your full-flow filter changed periodically, and I think they recommend 25,000 miles, and the oil needs to be topped off at that point from losing what is in the filter, and any other losses.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
I believe it after looking into it more.

The filter they are talking about is a bypass filter, which means it only receives about 5-10% of the output of the oil pump.  There is still a standard full-flow filter on the engine which receives 100% of the output of the pump, but then a small portion of that is diverted through the bypass filter and then returned back to the system.  A full-flow filter traps particles as small as about 20 microns, whereas the bypass system can trap sub-micron particles.  The extreme filtration probably explains why it only handles a portion of the oil coming through.  I imagine that you COULD build a sub-micron filter that could handle full-flow volume, but it would be enormous.

The reason that it works is that full synthetic oils simply do not break down over time, but eventually need to be changed because they get so dirty with the tiny particles which a full-flow filter can't remove.  If you have a sub-micron filter keeping your full synthetic oil clean, then you can run that same oil indefinitely.

Using the system, you still need to have your full-flow filter changed periodically, and I think they recommend 25,000 miles, and the oil needs to be topped off at that point from losing what is in the filter, and any other losses.

That filter still doesn't address the problem of fuel dilution from blow-by. Most if it goes back through the PCV valve and gets burned again, but not all of it. The cheapest way to remove that fuel from the oil is to change it. Less than 2% fuel is considered normal at an oil change, more than that and oil viscosity becomes a problem.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
Reminds me of the stuff I have heard about Royall Purple additive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
That Malibu engine is very high tech. 4 and 6 CHL both have a dual overhead cam system with variable timing. The actuators that control the cams are very oil maintenance sensitive. Standard oil at 5k miles will clog the screens and turn on the check engine light. This new system requires the synthetic blend called dexos to meet the oil change intervals of 7500 miles.