Author Topic: Use of the term "Democracy" in description of U.S.  (Read 1145 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Use of the term "Democracy" in description of U.S.
« on: June 24, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
I've noticed more and more uses of "Democracy" being used to describe the U.S. system of government.  I'd like to get your answers and opinions to the following questions:

1.  How do you describe the U.S. system of government?  (Hell in a handbasket is not an acceptable answer)

2.  What do you think of the use of the word Democracy in media and by politicians?

3.  What other thoughts and ideas do you have on the subject?

To get things started...

1.  I describe us as a representative republic.  Sure, it's a mouthful compared to democracy, but at least it's accurate.  IIRC, a democracy is basically a majority rules system; the old adage about two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner is a good example.  As a rep. republic, we tell the government how to run the country by placing limits on the elected official's authority.  Then the politicians essentially run the country without direct input from the people.  Obviously, we have recourse if (when) the politicos get out of control.

2.  I think that the vast majority of the time the word is used because of convenience, laziness, and a lack of true understanding, in that order.  I can't honestly say that there is a great movement to turn our country into a democracy by bastardizing the definition of the word.

3.  This is why I opened this thread; I want your input.  I want ideas that I haven't heard before.  For some strange reason I want to learn more about government.  (Didn't think I'd ever feel that way)
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »
It was intended to be a constitutionally-limited republic designed to secure liberty for its inhabitants.

I find objectionable the long emphasis on "democracy" as what is unique and great about the United States.  IMHO, the keystone of this country is liberty, briefly defined as being free from undue or unjust governmental control.  If a dictatorship were the most effective means to secure liberty for them and their posterity, I don't doubt that the Framers would have framed a dictatorship rather than a democracy.  Democracy is merely the means to an end, not the end in itself.

Unfortunately, with our schools teaching "democracy" instead of "liberty", we have become a nation with a great deal of unjust and undue governmental control, and insufficiently few have noticed that we're going to hell in handbasket.  (Oops!  There's that phrase! Wink )

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 01:31:24 PM »
1.  I describe us as a representative republic.  Sure, it's a mouthful compared to democracy, but at least it's accurate.  IIRC, a democracy is basically a majority rules system; the old adage about two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner is a good example.  As a rep. republic, we tell the government how to run the country by placing limits on the elected official's authority.  Then the politicians essentially run the country without direct input from the people.  Obviously, we have recourse if (when) the politicos get out of control.
Correct

2.  I think that the vast majority of the time the word is used because of convenience, laziness, and a lack of true understanding, in that order.  I can't honestly say that there is a great movement to turn our country into a democracy by bastardizing the definition of the word.
Also correct, and your observation is accurate.

3.  This is why I opened this thread; I want your input.  I want ideas that I haven't heard before.  For some strange reason I want to learn more about government.  (Didn't think I'd ever feel that way)
Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of the basics already.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 03:04:33 PM »
1. What everybody already said.
2. I think it is another example of the bastardazation or outright theft of common words.   Racist is another one.
3. The confusion caused by people misunderstanding the definition is a real problem.  It causes people to nod their heads when the president says we are "spreading democracy" instead of questioning whether we can create "democracy" at gunpoint.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »
Do I have to use "Democracy"?

It'd be much easier to use "Lunacy".
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 03:30:56 AM »
You've covered it pretty well.

The only thing I can add is that after more than 20 minutes in Washington, the representatives become more interested in themselves than they are in the republic.

client32

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:03:28 AM »
When did the term "Democracy" start to be used?  Was it from the get go, or did at some point in history we start saying democracy instead of republic or some such.

The only thing I can add is that after more than 20 minutes in Washington, the representatives become more interested in themselves than they are in the republic.
It takes 20 minutes!?!?  I thought that occured once they even stood a chance to get there.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
I've noticed more and more uses of "Democracy" being used to describe the U.S. system of government.  I'd like to get your answers and opinions to the following questions:

1.  How do you describe the U.S. system of government?
Others seem to be describing what they wish the US was. The current United States Government (USG) is a corporate fascist regime. The executive branch dictates all policy, the courts and legislatures sit idly by either out of fear or complicity and corporations are indirectly run by the state through anti-trust, licensing, environmental and safety/security bureaucracies. The police and military protect the regime from harm.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »
Answers:

1. Constitutional, representative Republic that's slowly being transformed into a democracy, much to its detriment.

2. Very inaccurate, and very annoying. It makes me wonder how much they actually understand about how out government is supposed to work. That, in turn, makes me less trusting of whatever they say about the workings of our government.

3. I dunno. Nothing, I suppose. Thinking's really hard work, don'tcha know? Cheesy
Andy

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 12:04:20 PM »
The way I look at it, most people walking around calling the US a democracy don't know the definition of either democracy or constitutional republic, or any other form of government.

It doesn't really matter what the average person calls it, as long as when asked to explain it, the definition of what it is comes out, and not the definition of democracy or some other form of government.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
I think the abuse of the term "democracy" and it's common misunderstanding arise from the post WWII campaign against communism and now the "war on terror".  Think about how many times you've heard the president speak about how "democracy" is good for the people of Iraq, or the people of Afghanistan, and how it will bring prosperity and peace to those parts of the world.  Most people who slept through their government classes just assume that if the president is trying to convert these other places to a democracy (which is also technically incorrect) because it is so great, then that must be what we have.  I am constantly amazed by the number of Sunday "Letter to the Editor" writers who actually think we have a pure democracy and are angry as hell that if 51% of the people are in favor of something, it doesn't automatically become law.
For entertainment purposes only.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 01:45:50 PM »
If the US were a democracy, each state would have its number of senators based upon population, the president would not have veto powers or powers of executive orders, senate filibusters would not be allowed, and congressman and senators would have to conduct polls of their constituents before voting on a bill.

And, if all of the above were the case, the US would not have a military, every household would have at least one large-screen TV as well as two new cars, heads of corporations would be paid the same as burger-flippers, and the US would be a third-world country.

And, oh yeah, Gena Davis would be the president.