Author Topic: use a rope to tie it to yourself?  (Read 3249 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
use a rope to tie it to yourself?
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
Who is this tool?  Where did he get these answers to the question " What happens to a deployed soldier who loses his weapon?"

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-when-soldiers-lose-weapons-2013-9

It matters. Oh good heavens, does it matter. You cannot imagine the hell you would catch if you lost your weapon (or had it mixed up with someone else's). Generally speaking, you can catch this early by yourself, since your weapon has more distinguishing features than just the serial number.
So we check our sensitive items religiously. Normally there are two checks a day, and your gear is either on your person, or locked up somewhere secure. A lot of people tether their gear to themselves using a rope so there's absolutely no chance of losing something important. For attachments like scopes, you have to tether it to the weapon with a rope.

Tie your weapon to yourself with a rope?  Tie your scope to the rifle with a rope?

But then, consider the source of the "article".  No, I do not have Book of Face, which is why I present this to you from a secondary source.  (If it's still there, check out the link at the bottom to "What you can but at a gun show" - more hoots.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: use a rope to tie it to yourself?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
It's called dummy-cording it to yourself/your gear...

I'm sure Fitz will be along shortly with some good tales concerning this.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
Everybody knows that scope mounts don't securely attach the scope to the firearm, right?  :facepalm:
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
Tie your weapon to yourself with a rope? 

This is done as a corrective by some Fitz-type guy. You are having a very bad day.

Tie your scope to the rifle with a rope?

When I was in, any two bits of gear that were supposed to stay connected were very often secured with para-cord, as a back-up. I don't recall if we did that to secure glass sights to rifles (they were quite rare back then), but we always tied a loop of paracord to each item on our web gear, in case the ALICE clip came loose.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »
You dummy cord crap so the whole company doesn't end up hunting around for one moron's NVGs til 0300 in a dark field. 

Same goes for your optic and illuminator.  Because it's guaranteed that someone will manage to lose serialized gear if it's not literally tied on.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
Where do they tie the dummy cord onto the 1st Lt?
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »

You putnthe butter-bars on one of those leashes parents use for little kids, then hand the parent-end to a senior sergeant.  O-2s are like slightly older kids...you don't leash them to the Top, but you also don't let him get out of the Top's sight.  At least for a year or he proves he won't get lost.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »

You dummy cord the LT to his of her desk!

This is nothing new , we dummy cord are M68 (Aimpoint CompM2) to are m4's.

We also had a solider who would forget his rifle all the time, we dummy cord him to his rifle. IT WORKS !!

Trust me, you don't what to report to your 1sg or CO , to tell the you or joe lost a sensitive items.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
Yeahhhhhh, we had a mechanic lean his M16 against a 1/4 ton (aka jeep) while he was mechanicing on it.  Got done with the mechanicing, hopped in a drove away. 

This is during an ARTEP with my 2nd CDR.  (Basically this is school finals, a job interview, a wedding and proctologists visit all in one fun 3-4 day exercise.  Sleep is optional and at best minimal.  I think I average about 4 hours over the entire thing as you just keep getting pounded with missions, 24/7.)

Anywho, he gets back to the HQ and goes to work on mechanicing other things.  Right around dinner time, Platoon Sergeant does sensitive item check.

Oh, *expletive deleted*it.

The world basically stops and ends at that point. 

Everybody now has to PROVE that you have ALL the Serial # items issued to you.

That takes about 2 hours as we have platoons scattered all over central southeastern Germany.

LET THE SEARCH BEGIN!!!! 

We were in the area from Gehlenhausen to Wurzburg to Schweinfurt to Wildflicken. (Not quite our GDP, but close.)  Yep, look behind every rock and tree.

At around 8 am the next morning the search is called off.  "Fritz" found it and turned it in to the Polizei the previous night. Just took the GP's sometime to find the right unit out traipsing around the countryside.   

By order of the Commander, everybody then was issued dummy-cords for every serial numbered item.   You who MrsSmith talked about walking into a spider web?  I carried one.  CEOI (w/dummy cord) NVG's (can't leave them in the case in vehicle anymore and only use them at, you know, night.) dummy-cord.  M203 Dummy-cord, 1911 (well that came with a lanyard already).  So there I am with four lengths of Paracord trying to lead my platoon.   Yep, great fun getting tangled in everything.  Good Call Ma'am.  Punish everybody because some PFC lost his weapon.  Thanks.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
Everybody knows that scope mounts don't securely attach the scope to the firearm, right?  :facepalm:

When you're using the A.R.M.S. Mounts so beloved by the military you better dummycord...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »
When you're using the A.R.M.S. Mounts so beloved by the military you better dummycord...

You'd better be careful. Don't want Dick Swan suing you for libel, and using the number 14 somewhere... somehow in your life anywhere.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 12:36:39 AM »
You'd better be careful. Don't want Dick Swan suing you for libel, and using the number 14 somewhere... somehow in your life anywhere.  =D

Oh Dickie-boy! "Throwlever, #14, #17" And your *expletive deleted*it SUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKSSSSSSS

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] >:D

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:20:07 AM »
My son was playing Army in the woods of Louisiana once when his butter bar lost his issued 9mm pistol. He said he was up for what seemed like a couple of days as they did search after search looking for the missing equipment. Someone finally found it and turned it in, but it was too late for the butter bar.

bob

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »
Guy in my company lost a rubber rifle in the surf zone at night once, had it carabinered to a d-ring on his UDT vest and the stitching gave way.

The whole company was online going up and down the beach with linked arms trying to feel it with our feet for a couple hours. Guys out in the breakers were getting pounded so hard we were rotating in and out. Never did find that thing, glad it was just a rubber rifle or I'd still be out there sifting sand with my toes.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:17:34 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Dummycording is both fine and proper.  But dummycording is done with paracord, which the last time I bothered to look was not rope.

And just for giggles, how many of you have dummycorded a pistol (1911 or that Euroweenie one) to your wrist on a loop short enough to put it in your hand without reeling in any line?  Learned that one at Jungle School and then applied it for real while pretending to sleep in the highlands that the USMC said were still in RVN but National Geographic said were elsewhere.

BTW - the only reason to dummycord the butterbar is if you have to turn it in later on.  Sometimes filling out the paperwork for equipment destroyed in combat is easier than hauling one of them all over creation.  And letting them know that has an additional salutory effect on their behavior. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 04:22:08 AM »
Well, a sling -rope- can be used as a buddy line so you don't lose your swim buddy in the surf zone.

That's a pile of paperwork, particularly if he had the serialized gear dummy corded to him.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."