Author Topic: usernames :: where do they come from?  (Read 6666 times)

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
usernames :: where do they come from?
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2006, 07:39:06 AM »
Quote from: mustanger98
They were very very close to trying to out-bad each other with their cars. My mare was still alive and well then and I was fixing to tell 'em both forget their junkpiles-on-wheels because I had the real deal there's was only named after.
I hate to burst your bubble, but the CAR was not named after the HORSE - regardless of the horse's presence on the grill, which was doubtless a ploy to sell straigh-6/slushbox coupes and convertibles to female secrateries who weren't quote out of the "I want a pony" stage yet.  The car was inspired by a concept car that was inspired by the famous WWII fighter aircraft.  This is why the original car's grill opening is contoured the way it is, to mimic the opening of the aircraft's belly scoup.  There are other styling cues lifted from the aircraft as well.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 07:46:09 AM »
Quote from: SpookyPistolero
Grampster-

While we're on a relevant topic, I've always wondered where the first line of your sig comes from (the 'he aroused, turned the page and went back to sleep' part).  Care to share?
Yes, do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 09:05:53 AM »
Yet another unimaginitive entry as it is my real name, just not all of it. I use this SN on firearms forums where a real name seems more fitting, and less like you're trying to hide behind something.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
I hate to burst your bubble, but the CAR was not named after the HORSE - regardless of the horse's presence on the grill, which was doubtless a ploy to sell straigh-6/slushbox coupes and convertibles to female secrateries who weren't quote out of the "I want a pony" stage yet.  The car was inspired by a concept car that was inspired by the famous WWII fighter aircraft.  This is why the original car's grill opening is contoured the way it is, to mimic the opening of the aircraft's belly scoup.  There are other styling cues lifted from the aircraft as well.
Thanks for the interesting info, rich.  I've been into WWII fighters since I was a little kid and around a lot of older Mustangs (Ford) and I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that the car design was inspired by the P-51.
For entertainment purposes only.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2006, 11:40:41 AM »
Spooky and fistful,

When I was a freshman in HS, the yearbook that year (1958) posted a quote under the pictures of the seniors.  Those quotes were to be a summary of the person and his/her personality.  There was a fellow that had that quote under his picture.  He was rather quiet and unassuming.  Never talked a lot, graduated by the skin of his teeth.  Always had a souped up car with hollywood pipes and flashy accouterments, wore his hair in a ducktail, blue jeans (rolled up) a t-shirt with his cigs rolled in the sleave and engineer boots.  He was the quintisential greaser/hood.  He never bothered anyone and no one bothered him.  He hung out at the local soda bar (pre McDonald's) and was a pinball wizzard.

He was also one of those fellows that we younger colts aspired to be like someday.  That quote also sums up my general outlook on life these days, interspersed with a rather nonplussed wonderment at some of the grandios naivete exhibited by folks that should know better.

I also find myself literaly living out that sig line when sitting up late reading a fine book.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2006, 11:44:14 AM »
Thanks for the interesting info, rich.  I've been into WWII fighters since I was a little kid and around a lot of older Mustangs (Ford) and I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that the car design was inspired by the P-51.
As a kid, I spent a lot of time studying WW2 fighter too... when I could find info as that was before the internet as we know it. I didn't relate the two but wondered about so many machines being called "mustang". I was under the impression the P-51 was named after the horse too just like I was under the impression the car was. If the car was named after the P-51, then there's a lot of us that fell for the idea that it was named after the horse. So, the marketing ploy worked. But I don't recall seeing the concept car the mustang was based on to have seen the design features that came from the P-51.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »
richyoung is just lying about the Mustang because he is a tool of the bush administration and works for the Haliburton subsidiary that bombed WTC 7.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2006, 11:58:05 AM »
Quote from: fistful
richyoung is just lying about the Mustang because he is a tool of the bush administration and works for the Haliburton subsidiary that bombed WTC 7.
I guess we need to have a few stacks of pancakes and group-defy him then.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »
Initials + hobby = self-deprecating comment on my marksmanship.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2006, 09:18:35 PM »
This is my name over at THR, which I found through Calguns (or is it the other way around....?).  Anyway, I hadn't encountered a lot of other gun-shooting, liberty leaning Jews.  Since "Bubba" is the stereotype plastered on gun lovers, and since I am no Bubba (would Bubba eat gefilte fish with horseradish?  I ask you.), it just seemed right.

I've seen some great screen names, but my favorite is still "Grisly Atoms".  Man, I wish I'd thought that up!  About three puns and a vivid image, all in one neat package.  A punner is fortunate to get two or three that good in a lifetime (it's like a flawless diamond).
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2006, 03:11:08 AM »
Horseradish bad.  Wasabe worse.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2006, 06:16:06 AM »
fistful:

I probably won't think about that tomorrow when I'm eating leftover horseradish mashed potatoes with "mini-me"atloaf, or Friday when I'm chomping sushi with lots of wasabi, all the while fantasizing about kimchi.

What say, folks. Shall we start referring to fistful as "Bland Boy"? Tongue
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2006, 06:24:44 AM »
I like good spices, like pepper.  Black, red, bell, cayenne, pepperoncini, whatever.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Re: usernames :: where do they come from?
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2006, 06:09:44 PM »
But I don't recall seeing the concept car the mustang was based on to have seen the design features that came from the P-51.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=20644
has an article with pic.  FWIW most of the "fighter plane" styling cues supposedly had to do with how the interior and instruments were designed and laid out.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...