Author Topic: used computer disposal security ?  (Read 1405 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
used computer disposal security ?
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
Giving away a computer that got power surged to someone I don't know well enough to trust (for parts). I took it apart a bit thinking I might replace broken part but after yanking and torquing away for a bit I don't want it repaired anymore, I'll just replace.

Is the silver rectangle that says "500 GB" on it the hard drive and will removing it remove all the data from the rest of the computer?

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: used computer disposal security ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
Yep - take that out and any others like it and you are good to go. 

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »
And don't forget to remove the sticky note from the front of the case that has your universal password on it.   :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
Giving away a computer that got power surged to someone I don't know well enough to trust (for parts). I took it apart a bit thinking I might replace broken part but after yanking and torquing away for a bit I don't want it repaired anymore, I'll just replace.

Is the silver rectangle that says "500 GB" on it the hard drive and will removing it remove all the data from the rest of the computer?

Yes, that's the hard disk.   No other place (normally) that data would be stored.

If you leave it in, find a "boot and nuke" type disk wiper program to run on it.  Just formatting, or repartitioning, won't wipe to the level you ought to use.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
They are also fun to shoot at for destructive data removal. Make sure you shoot the thick part of the HD. Shoot it several times to make sure, chucks of metal should be coming out of the case.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
or holes through.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
Keep it and get a case to convert it to an external hard drive.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »
Yep, that be it. If you had other less likely options, they'd have likely been installed by you personally and you wouldn't be asking about it.

If the hard drive is in good shape I'm a fan of p12's suggestion, you'll need something like this- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155

So for 20 bucks and the time to slide it in, do a couple screws on the case, and the time plug it in and format the drive you get a nice new external hard drive.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »
Keep it and get a case to convert it to an external hard drive.

Depending how old the drive is or if it ran for 24/7 you could be setting yourself up for an external HD that fails.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »
Depending how old the drive is or if it ran for 24/7 you could be setting yourself up for an external HD that fails.
I assume that of the ones I buy new in box.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 01:45:00 AM »
Judging by the sticker on it,  it was manufactured in Sept 2011 so the age isn't too bad. Just grab a trial of hdtune pro and run the health check.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
All hard drives fail eventually. Why toss something that is perfectly good, and when stuck in a 20 dollar enclosure will serve a nice useful purpose, because it will eventually fail?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »
When getting rid of my home computer, I always remove the hard drive(s). Before discarding the hard drives, I physically destroy them by dismantling them, roughing up (with a file) the actual HD surfaces, and hammering on them a bit. Not that I'm paranoid . . .  [tinfoil]

At work, I transferred data I wanted to keep to DVDs and then used a utility (like BCWipe) to wipe the hard drive of my old computer right before our IT people issued me a new one.

A colleague's "new" laptop actually came from the division VP, who made sure to clear his computer by deleting his confidential files. Needless to say, said colleague had a lot of "inside" information available for the next year on people's salaries, promotions, and appraisals.   :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 05:03:00 AM »
I am seriously disappointed in APS.
This far into a thread about computer disposal and no mention of detcord.
Sad times these.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 06:11:55 AM »
I thermite my old drives. Less frag then detcord.

Come to think of it, I have a pile of drives at work that need to go. I wonder how much aluminium I have left.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »
I've thermited two hard drives. That was fun.

The last couple I've simply tossed into a friend's fireplace in the winter and left them at full boil for a couple of hours.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
Cutting aluminum into small pieces with an oxyacetylene torch is pretty, if not the safest bit of fun.