Author Topic: High Viz Vests  (Read 1963 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
High Viz Vests
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: High Viz Vests
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
Yeah, with that and a clipboard a person could go pretty much anywhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »
A hardhat, tool bag a phone test hanging off your belt is another free pass.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
Pretty much any service uniform works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 02:13:53 PM »
Safety jihadist looks like a self-mobile traffic cone ...

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 08:14:36 AM »
the sheep always follow orders.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
This was in Australia but no doubt what I've seen over the years it one could be very successful doing that here too.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »
A clip board and a determined look got me out, of few Motor pools.  :angel:

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
Piece(s) of paper(s) in my hand and a brisk walk.......
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »
Piece(s) of paper(s) in my hand and a brisk walk.......

AKA- The walk of purpose.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
A clip board and a determined look got me out, of few Motor pools.

At NAS Dallas, a clipboard, a random circuitboard and looking straight ahead would get me into any area not guarded by armed Marines unquestioned.

Partly because they quickly got to know me as the guy who fixed odd electronic stuff for Important People.  Nobody wanted to be the one to call the guy in charge of a major project and tell him they've delayed his replacement part by even a few seconds.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
Four of us walked through the 2nd Battalion lines during an exercise at the Pohakuloa Training Area in Sept 75.  Climbed the hill headed to the battalion CP tent carrying some field telephones.  Many "Halt! Who is there?" challenges were answered with, "We're from the comm platoon. We're going to the battalion CP to fix the phones."  We were waved on each time.
A number of sleeping sentries had their throats figuratively slit.  Once we got to the CP tent, we "killed" everyone there.
The 3rd Marines CO was not amused with the 2nd Battalion CO.  We were the only one of three infiltration teams that made it through.
All of us were actually radio operators from the HQ Regiment comm platoon, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »
Four of us walked through the 2nd Battalion lines during an exercise at the Pohakuloa Training Area in Sept 75.  Climbed the hill headed to the battalion CP tent carrying some field telephones.  Many "Halt! Who is there?" challenges were answered with, "We're from the comm platoon. We're going to the battalion CP to fix the phones."  We were waved on each time.

The true epic bonus point version would have been a VBIED in a 10 year old Toyota with a Domino's Pizza sign on top.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
The true epic bonus point version would have been a VBIED in a 10 year old Toyota with a Domino's Pizza sign on top.

True, but this occurred well before VBIEDs were a thing.  And the nearest Domino's would've been in Hilo, assuming they had one.   ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 07:23:26 AM »
I learned really early in my Army years that moving quickly and looking focused/concerned would generallyou get you left alone.  After leaving butter bar behind, I learned looking pissed off would not just get you left alone, but would usually get people out of your way as well. 

As to the OP, put on a lanyard with ID badge, and you've got a free pass to most places.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »

As to the OP, put on a lanyard with ID badge, and you've got a free pass to most places.

I knew there was a reason why I saved the ID from that citizens police academy I took a couple of years ago.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
I learned really early in my Army years that moving quickly and looking focused/concerned would generallyou get you left alone.

Wearing a bomb suit and/or level 4 biohazard suit while screaming and running tends to clear a path too.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »
I learned really early in my Army years that moving quickly and looking focused/concerned would generallyou get you left alone.  After leaving butter bar behind, I learned looking pissed off would not just get you left alone, but would usually get people out of your way as well. 

I have learned that if you are a Warrant Officer, and walk quickly while shaking your head and cussing every few seconds, O-3's will actively clear you a path.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »
I have learned that if you are a Warrant Officer, and walk quickly while shaking your head and cussing every few seconds, O-3's will actively clear you a path.

I've seen O-6's do that for Warrants.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »

A friend suggested that, instead of the hi-viz stuff, a life size cardboard cutout of a bright red, scowling CMSgt would keep traffic at least 100m away from his motorcycle at all times.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
During the nine months that I was cataloging transformers for the local power company, I was rarely questioned while on private property, and never had a problem with anybody once I gave them a ten second explanation of why I was there.

But I did get a lot of grief from residents, including several visits from the cops, while I was standing on a public road in broad daylight.  :facepalm:
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!