Author Topic: Reverend Wright Is Offensive  (Read 23582 times)

taurusowner

Re: Reverend Wright Is Offensive
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »
Wright has been a profound influence for more than 20 years on someone who IS running for president.  That makes what he says very relevant.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »
Wright is the purported guiding light for candidate Obama, and much in the national limelight at the moment. For him to rant on and on denigrating the roots of the Founding Fathers and all their progeny can hardly shed favorable light on Obama. And for Wooderson to treat him as simply irrelevant right now illustrates either profound ignorance or disingenuousness.

You can hardly be serious with this:
I'm struggling to think of 'American music' that isn't sourced at least in part from African-American culture (country/bluegrass being the 'in part' - everything else just went in whole hog). Some avant-garde classical and noise (and other things no one listens to)
You must struggle with much then, if you think American music has its roots mainly in African-American culture. Be serious.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

taurusowner

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
Btw, it's nice to hear you cast aside some of the most moving and beautiful music ever written(classical) as irrelevant just because it's not African influenced.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 03:15:33 AM »
Wooderson, are you trying to tell us we shouldn't judge a man by the company he keeps?

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 03:22:02 AM »
Because he has the ear of the man who stands a 1 in 3 chance of being our next President?
He's the former pastor of the aforementioned man.

Give me a reason to believe he'll be making policy, and I might care.

How much influence has George Bush's pastor wielded in the White House? How much did Clinton's?
Is there any reason to believe that Obama is so religious that the word of his former preacher is the word of God and must be obeyed? Does the 'hyper-religious Christian Obama' narrative fit into any framework offered up yet, do right-wingers really want to try to make that argument (or will he be an America-hating secularist and a religious zealot?)?

Because a president will surround themselves with the people they associated with before they were president.  Cronies, if you will.  Because in Obama's case, many of those Cronies are divisive people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 05:23:19 AM »
And today, he accused America of terrorism.  This guy is the gift that keeps on giving.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 05:28:05 AM »
Wooderson, are you trying to tell us we shouldn't judge a man by the company he keeps?

Chris

Of course not, Chris.

He's telling you that he doesn't know what he's trying to tell you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 06:30:45 AM »
Wright is the purported guiding light for candidate Obama,

Purported by whom?

You must struggle with much then, if you think American music has its roots mainly in African-American culture. Be serious.
Country, bluegrass, ragtime, jazz, blues, swing (by way of ragimte, jazz and blues), rock'n'roll, r&b, hip-hop. The latter seven primarily from African-American culture and country/bluegrass partially indebted (though I'm understating the influence there - the banjo didn't arrive on the mayflower).

Which popular American music remains, then?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 06:34:10 AM »
Btw, it's nice to hear you cast aside some of the most moving and beautiful music ever written(classical) as irrelevant just because it's not African influenced.
Except that's not what I said and you should read more carefully. I said that of surviving idioms in the US, avant-garde classical (ie John Cage) and noise were two that could trace their lineage primarily to Europe rather than Africa. (and Cage, among others, would claim some influence from jazz but they seem to fall squarely in the northern European realm to me)
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 06:35:25 AM »
Country music is derived from Irish and other European folk music, from the use of the fiddle to the cadence of the songs.

A good deal of popular modern music has its roots in traditional drinking songs, while other elements of the modern era came about due to the work of Claude Debussy.

Revisionist history is stupid.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 06:36:11 AM »
I dunno, should we? How do you define "the company he keeps"?

Do you have any evidence linking Obama's politics to
Do you have any evidence that Wright has been or would be a senior political adviser, a policy maker?
Any evidence that the former pastor would be brought to DC?

No one answered my questions about the influence of Bush's former pastors, or Clinton's, and Obama's relative religiosity.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »
Country music is derived from Irish and other European folk music, from the use of the fiddle to the cadence of the songs.
You're partially right - and agreeing with me.

Country music is the offspring of Appalachian whites and poor blacks and (before that) slaves. It draws from both traditions.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 06:41:50 AM »
You're partially right - and agreeing with me.

Country music is the offspring of Appalachian whites and poor blacks and (before that) slaves. It draws from both traditions.

No, it is NOT. And no, it does NOT.

If you want to see the roots of country music, you want to look at the Irish and northern European immigrants who arrived in the NINETEENTH CENTURY, mostly after slavery, with their ballads and fiddles and tin whistles. The people who rode steerage on packet ships and sidewheel steamships, who came through Ellis Island. Its most basic roots are...CELTIC.

Dammit, I am sick of this revisionist twisting due to "multicultural" crap. Jazz came from the African traditions, yes. Country did NOT.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 06:47:36 AM »
No, it is NOT. And no, it does NOT.
Yelling doesn't make it so. Why are you so offended by the prospect that the most American of idioms is (quite literally) a melting pot of cultural folk traditions and instruments?

Nothing I've said denies the role of Scots-Irish settlers (they are, after all, a rather key element in Appalachian culture).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 06:50:22 AM »
Because not every modern freaking thing in our culture came from Africa or was influenced by Africa, as you seem to be professing. That's Wright's shtick.

I'm not offended. I'm annoyed. By you.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 06:54:23 AM »
"No one answered my questions about the influence of Bush's former pastors, or Clinton's, and Obama's relative religiosity."

That's funny that you would whine about that.

As far as I can tell it's been quite some time since you've answered a question that has been directly posed to you.

This is a perfect example: "I dunno, should we? How do you define "the company he keeps"?"

And then you have the audacity to piss and moan because no one will answer your questions, yet when they do you immediately scuttle to the left and cry "well no one answered the question I was REALLY asking..."

That's pathological passive-agressive hypocrisy, it's a hallmark of many trolls, and it's put you on very short legs here, child.

Fair warning. You have a matter of days, or hours, at best, to rethink your approach.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
!
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 06:57:07 AM »
But ManedWolf, I'm surprised at you!

The White Devil has created nothing of value and nothing new in this world, he's only stolen from Original Man!

For example, Pennsylvania Amish?

Original Man in Africa had horse drawn buggies with orange reflectors on them before the White Devil was created...

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »
He can't be offensive because he is black.  You can only be offensive if you are white........When is the last time you saw a victim of a hate crime that was white........chris3

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 07:15:31 AM »
Fair warning. You have a matter of days, or hours, at best, to rethink your approach.

Very optimistic.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: !
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 07:17:05 AM »
But ManedWolf, I'm surprised at you!

The White Devil has created nothing of value and nothing new in this world, he's only stolen from Original Man!

For example, Pennsylvania Amish?

Original Man in Africa had horse drawn buggies with orange reflectors on them before the White Devil was created...

cheesy

I once had occasion to argue with a rather stupid liberal-arts student who claimed that if it wasn't for Africa, modern music would have no percussion. (?)

I showed them a picture of a Bodhran and also a Taiko drum. They shut up.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
Wright is the purported guiding light for candidate Obama,

Purported by whom?
Jeebus. Are you paying attention? Obama himself cites Wright as mentor, guiding light, etc. Regularly and still now. Unbelievable.

And by the way, are you really seriously asking for "evidence" of a future action? Or is it perhaps your intention simply to create disharmony--you know, like Rev Wright?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 08:22:36 AM »
The Rev. Jeremiah Wright said Monday that he will try to change national policy by coming after Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) if he is elected president.

The pastor also insisted Obama didnt denounce him and didnt distance himself from Wrights controversial remarks, but did what politicians do.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9912.html

Millstone. Albatross. Wright.

Obama's campaign go "pffft".

Good.

The thing is, Wright is throwing Obama under the bus so he can sell his books and be the next Jesse Jackson. The more crap he gets flying in the air, the more money he rakes in. Even 1960's style race riots would benefit his bottom line and sell books. I wonder if Obama is realizing that?

BTW, our secondary enemies, the easily fooled. Here's something from one of the Kos Kidz.

Had I been raised in the TUCC tradition, a Black Church experience exemplified by Jeremiah Wright, I might well have been a Christian.

If this represents "elitism", if this represents the experience of Barack Obama, then he should never "disavow" this brilliant man who led him to his religion.

The questions Wright raises, the history he uncovers, the religion he represents will only be offensive to the narrow, cold, practitioners of European Colonial theology.

These useful idiots are becoming an actual threat, I swear.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »
Wright also served 6 years in the Marine Corps.  How many years did Bush/Cheney serve, again?   I forget.........

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2008, 11:28:06 AM »
Well heck, we can safely ignore all of Wright's radical racist, marxist, anti-American remarks because he did a few years in the marines.

I feel safer already.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »
I've felt safer since Bush said he was gonna bring the evildoers to justice.