Author Topic: OK I over-reacted...home invasions Questions  (Read 5751 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: OK I over-reacted...home invasions Questions
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 05:37:54 AM »
Because it strikes me as silly and absolutely paranoid, to be honest.

And hell yes I'd notice. Unless you're one of those people who goes around their house always wearing their full belt, shoes and all and only take any of it off before going to bed, you'd notice.

If your house is that insecure, secure it. If you can't make your way to a gun in the time it takes someone to beat down a deadbolted steel door, then you REALLY need to hit the gym.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 05:53:02 AM »
I feel uncomfortable not fully dressed, and remain dressed outside of an erotic situation, the shower, or sleeping.

It'd only be paranoid to wear a pistol at home if it somehow were uncomfortable or very heavy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
Unless you're one of those people who goes around their house always wearing their full belt, shoes and all and only take any of it off before going to bed, you'd notice.

Um, yeah - that's me.  I have chores to do morning and evening and sometimes in between, and I don't undress/dress six times a day.

But then I don't live in a basement and eat cheetoes either  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:44 AM »
I feel uncomfortable not fully dressed, and remain dressed outside of an erotic situation, the shower, or sleeping.

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see your girlfriend?..... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
As far as I know, when you're carrying a pistol in a proper holster, it's light enough for you to forget about the weight of the weapon.

There's no discomfort at all involves. So why not just continue carrying a pistol (which comes with no added cost or discomfort to you), rather than spend extra on more security features?

[For the record, my appartment has a steel door]
Did you furnish that, or was it supplied?  Just curious as to the cost...

Steel doors are very common in Israel, but I'm not sure the cost is the same as in the US.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »

Some people would say the same thing for simply wanting to carry a firearm, and some people when someone thinks that they need a backup, or a spare magazine.

And hell yes I'd notice.

I didn't much notice carrying the Glock 19. Even if you notice it still isn't any burden.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 09:46:03 AM »

Some people would say the same thing for simply wanting to carry a firearm, and some people when someone thinks that they need a backup, or a spare magazine.

No. There ARE potential bad guys on the street.

There are not ninjas who will get into my home without me noticing.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
the only thing i can add is to be alert. try to know whats going on outside your house. make friends with the naighbors and get to the point that if they see someone lurking around, they know they can call you (and you can return the favor). this is also good for naighborhood gossip, which has both entertainment value as well as sucurity value.

amidatly i live in the country, so its a bit eaiser for me, but you don't pull up to my house without me knowing.

i don't carry while at home, but then again, by the time bad guy reaches the house i know about it, and can get my gun and the phone, and i don't have any kids to grab it. my dad does carry around the house and property, but his hearing isn't so great, so he has less reaction time.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
No. There ARE potential bad guys on the street.

Yeah, just like there are POTENTIAL bad guys who could break into your house. What are the actual chances that you would ever need to use your firearm to ward off some punk to begin with?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
There are not ninjas who will get into my home without me noticing.
Thank goodness you don't live in Modesto! smiley
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 08:58:25 PM »
The G Meister hasn't responded.  Do we have a new troll?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.