Main Forums > The Roundtable

Bridge collapse in Baltimore

<< < (2/26) > >>

WLJ:
Info on the ship
95k tons
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9697428

--- Quote ---The vessel DALI (IMO 9697428, MMSI 563004200) is a Container Ship built in 2015 (9 years old) and currently sailing under the flag of Singapore.
--- End quote ---

WLJ:
Reportedly it lost power before striking the bridge

dogmush:

--- Quote from: WLJ on March 26, 2024, 08:10:50 AM ---Reportedly it lost power before striking the bridge

--- End quote ---

That video shows an awful lot of  black "Oh *expletive deleted*it peg the throttles" diesel exhaust coming from that ship before it hit. 

She also doesn't have her anchors out in the morning shots of her under the bridge, which would be SOP for "we lost power and need to stop" kinda situation.  I see she has a bow thruster, which doesn't look like it was thrusting at the time, which also would have been a good idea rather than ramming straight into a pylon.

From first glance it doesn't look like a dead ship drifting into a bridge situation, but I guess we'll see.  AIS shows her making a nice controlled turn, running down the channel, then veering off to Starboard about 1/4 NM before the bridge.

Opportunity:
There is a fairly complete video already. I counted at least 2 times when all the lighting on the ship disappeared and, obviously, the main engines also turned off. It is strange that the emergency gensets did not at least provide lighting...

https://youtu.be/m3Sobolb6c4?si=IAX-Cyasu1ihKkBw

Ben:

--- Quote from: dogmush on March 26, 2024, 08:35:15 AM ---That video shows an awful lot of  black "Oh *expletive deleted*it peg the throttles" diesel exhaust coming from that ship before it hit. 

She also doesn't have her anchors out in the morning shots of her under the bridge, which would be SOP for "we lost power and need to stop" kinda situation.  I see she has a bow thruster, which doesn't look like it was thrusting at the time, which also would have been a good idea rather than ramming straight into a pylon.

From first glance it doesn't look like a dead ship drifting into a bridge situation, but I guess we'll see.  AIS shows her making a nice controlled turn, running down the channel, then veering off to Starboard about 1/4 NM before the bridge.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the expert analysis. That certainly raises potential tinfoil questions. I know it can take some significant power and time to change trajectory, but from what you saw, it looks like they weren't even trying. Would bow thrusters on something that big have (powerful enough) backup power sources if main power took a dump?

The crew interviews will be of interest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version