Author Topic: Stationary/reading accessories?  (Read 1885 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Stationary/reading accessories?
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Anyone know of a *slightly* less obnoxiously pretentious company than Levenger with a similar product line?

I need a book weight, and have contemplated some of their other products for years, but their prices are ludicrous and their pretentiousness is irritating.  I've got a whole list of pen shops I got to for ink/paper/pens, but they don't have all the other little things, or the leather goods and such.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Stationary/reading accessories?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:56:09 PM »
What about the corner of every B&N that has that sort of thing?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »
hm, not a thing.  Hadn't occurred to me because I avoid BN like the plague.  We've got a local chain of large bookstores I like better, but they don't carry that stuff.

I always prefer online though, especially since I'm one-handed for another month, and typically have 2-yr-old with me.  One arm + toddler + in public = trouble.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
Anyone know of a *slightly* less obnoxiously pretentious company than Levenger with a similar product line?

I need a book weight, and have contemplated some of their other products for years, but their prices are ludicrous and their pretentiousness is irritating. 

Hee-hee.  I made the mistake of a buying a couple of things from them.  Now, I'll probably never get off their mailing list.  You describe them very well. 

If you need a bookweight, that would seem to be a pretty easy object to make, have made for you, or simply improvise.  You might try a bag of shot.  Or you might try one of these microwavable eye pillow things my wife uses.  Well, she uses it on her eyes, not on her books, but maybe you could use it on your books, if it is heavy enough to use on your books.  Then maybe you could use it on your eyes after you use it on your books, because maybe you will hurt your eyes reading your books, and then have to use the pillow on your eyes instead of on your books, after you read the books and your eyes hurt. 

I'm curious what bookstore chain you are talking about, and what part of the country.  Borders, Books-a-Million, Hastings? 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
Buying Levenger and showing it off seems to be something done by the sorts of people who drive a gold-trimmed-option Jag, have painfully neat hair and a salon tan, have smarmy self-help success posters all over the place, and make it a point to let you know they're going to the country club or talking to their broker.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
Schuler's.  It's pretty local.  They have two or three stores.  Well, two I've been to.  I think they have a third somewhere or other.

Yeah, I thought just sewing some bullets into a strip of fabric.  Might just do that.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:18:29 PM »
Schuler's.  It's pretty local.  They have two or three stores.  Well, two I've been to.  I think they have a third somewhere or other.

Yeah, I thought just sewing some bullets into a strip of fabric.  Might just do that.

Don't carry that in a carryon by mistake, or you'll get to ride in the special car with the unsmiling people.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 05:06:21 PM »
just for bullets? cast bullets?  Would anyone even recognize them?  They're just lumps of lead...

yeah, probably I should be catious. 

eh, I might just do it and toss the thing later on to avoid mix ups.  I just need something to hold casebooks open in class.  It's hard enought trying to type one-handed while juggling books.  Books flipping pages on me is suddenly a major challenge.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »
While I imagine it would be frowned upon in class, I bet your carry gun would hold a book open quite nicely.

Along those lines, I bet any old household object of the right size and weight would do the job.  Another book, a block of wood, an old shoe, you name it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »
If you want a weight, I'd go with small shot sewn into something instead, and not enough to be a "blackjack". TSA gate people tend to be absolute idiots.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »
Heh, the thought of using bullets or handguns in class distracted me. I forgot what I was originally gonna say in this thread...

You can find just about anything Levenger sells through Amazon, without any of the smugness.  Prices are better, too.

Howsabout something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Weighted-Bookmark/dp/B00014VVWQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1211165775&sr=8-1

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »
HTG is probably right, although I'm thinking the important thing might be a non-skid surface, to keep the pages from slipping out, or the whole thing from slipping off.  At the same time, it has to be fairly heavy, but still have a narrow footprint so it doesn't cover up the page. 

Maybe you could sew up a bag of the right shape and fill it with sand, or rice, or lead, or something of the sort.  Then get some of that non-skid stuff that's designed to go in kitchen drawers, they sell it next to the contact paper.  Sew or glue it on to one or both sides of the bag. 

But can you do all that with your bum shoulder?   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »
yeah, the bum shoulder is why I thinking bullets instead of shot.  I've already got some bullets in the house.  All my shot os in shells and they're too expensive to carve up, not to mention the stregnth/dexterity issue? I can run a sewing machine though, just gotta get my husband set it up for me. 

Best thing would be ultrasuede.  I may even have some scraps leftover from when I turned a t-shirt into a shooting shirt.

Darn thing could be done by now if the sewing machine wasn't stored on an overhead shelf.  No safe way for me to get it down by myself, and my husband has been gone all day.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
thanks for the ideas hgt.  I'll head over to amazon.