Author Topic: Stay Away from the South!  (Read 7424 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Stay Away from the South!
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:46 AM »
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/128804/

METRICS: Turns Out, The South Is A Pretty Nice Place To Live. “The advantages of the South — especially the advantages of the 21st century South — are less well known (and, somehow, Southern coastal cities are frequently overlooked as major cities). Oh, there are books and TV shows, songs and movies about Dixie — but, as Habeeb points out, they’re often misleading caricatures or dwell too heavily on the South’s past. Little has been done to update the popular image of the region, which is now economically inviting and culturally reassuring — perhaps because those who spin popular images, from the president to junior reporters, haven’t taken the time to really understand the South for themselves. That happens to be Habeeb’s thesis.”

To be honest, we’d rather word didn’t get out. Stay away! In fact, I need to point this out: The South is a cultural desert, across which ride Klansmen on horseback and NASCAR fans in F350 Dually pickups. The cultural center is Wal-Mart, and the occasional tailgater before a lynching. Gunshows are disdained as the domain of pointy-headed intellectuals, because they also sell books. No, really, that’s all true — stay away! For the love of God, stay away!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Stay Away from the South!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Don't worry. I've done my time in your Lone Star blast furnace. A nice place to visit in the cooler months, but I'm not silly enough to be there in summer.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
Yeah.......too many yankees and kalifornia people are moving here and trying to change Texas to the cesspool they came from.  If you don't like it here, you can always leave......chris3

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
Im trying to get back there.  I'd prefer Dallas but at this point, I'll go just about anywhere and work my way back to Dallas.
CO is beautiful, especially now that the leaves are changing but it's not my home anymore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
Mid-October, I'm recreating Sherman's March to The Sea.  I had been planning of correcting his error and burning Savannah to ground, but now I'll have to settle for tending the fire-ring in a SC State park.

"Grits?  I've never had them before.  Can I have just one and I'll try it?"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:18:55 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
The South is a cultural desert, across which ride Klansmen on horseback and NASCAR fans in F350 Dually pickups. The cultural center is Wal-Mart, and the occasional tailgater before a lynching. Gunshows are disdained as the domain of pointy-headed intellectuals, because they also sell books.

Okay, so what's the downside  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »
I have a hard time calling Texas the "South."

It ain't.

Texas is the "West."

Louisiana is the western-most Southern State.

To be part of region of the United States now called "The South":

-You had to be an honest-to-God State during the Civil War... not a Territory
-You had to be part of the Confederacy
-You need to be east of, or touching, the Mississippi River
-You need to be south of the Great Lakes States
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
Heck, I don't care if all the Yankees and Californians come to The South or not.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to change my statement and announce that I hope they do come and bring not only their money but their strange ways with them.

First of all, the humidity will take the starch right out of those New Englanders, and the lack of craziness will immobilize the Californians.  As for New Yawkers and New Jerseyites (New Jersians?) the inability to get into a decent argument ought to befuddle them into inactivity.

Second, they will die of diabetes and high cholesterol just from crossing the Mason-Dixon Line.

Third, they will all think that "Well, bless his/her heart" is a compliment, not a death sentence.

The South, and the Southrons who inhabit it, are not defined so much by geography, although that has a bit to do with it.  It is things like understanding the importance of establishing who your mother was before she was married and how that connects you to both your hostess and the several young ladies arrayed at the event, and how the silver tea service that was plundered during the Late Unpleasantness came to be in the possession of whoever now has it and why there has been no attempt to restore it to the descendants of the original owners.  Or not getting your feathers ruffled when someone asks "How many Southerners does it take to change a lightbulb?" for the purpose of trying to insult the listeners, because you are too busy talking about in fact how good the old one was.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
Nice place to visit...you know the rest.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:51:55 PM by Lee »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
I tell my conservative friends how wonderful it is in the south. I tell the libs it's terrible.

Let them stay up north and destroy their cities and states.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
I tell my conservative friends how wonderful it is in the south. I tell the libs it's terrible.

Let them stay up north and destroy their cities and states.

This. We (and I use that term even though I'm a temporary resident of a yankee state) don't need any hippies or social craziness in the South. Skidmark's theory that it might straighten 'em all out might have some merit in an ideal world, but the risk is too high. Nope. Let 'em all think it's a cultural wasteland not worth their scrutiny.

The South is a place. East, west and north are just directions.

I'm going to have a good time in OH while I'm here. I felt my Southern drawl getting a little stronger on the drive up. Maybe I'll convert a few libs to reality. It's a goal and everybody's gotta have a goal or two...
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
I'm going to have a good time in OH while I'm here. I felt my Southern drawl getting a little stronger on the drive up. Maybe I'll convert a few libs to reality. It's a goal and everybody's gotta have a goal or two...

Let them introduce you to the internet, lattes and toilet paper. "Shucks a'mighty! We ain't got none o' that fancy stuff down there, that y'all gots up here."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
This. We (and I use that term even though I'm a temporary resident of a yankee state) don't need any hippies or social craziness in the South. Skidmark's theory that it might straighten 'em all out might have some merit in an ideal world, but the risk is too high. Nope. Let 'em all think it's a cultural wasteland not worth their scrutiny.

The South is a place. East, west and north are just directions.

MrsSmith, I hate to tell you this, but you are still close enough to the Mason-Dixon Line that you probably won't see that many libs, unless you go to a big city (i.e. Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Yeah.......too many yankees and kalifornia people are moving here and trying to change Texas to the cesspool they came from.  If you don't like it here, you can always leave......chris3

Agreed.....b/t the Yankees coming from the North and the Mexican Invasion from the South, it kinda feels like 1846 all over again.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
Let them introduce you to the internet, lattes and toilet paper. "Shucks a'mighty! We ain't got none o' that fancy stuff down there, that y'all gots up here."

That has the potential for fun!

MrsSmith, I hate to tell you this, but you are still close enough to the Mason-Dixon Line that you probably won't see that many libs, unless you go to a big city (i.e. Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati).

That's really the most reassuring thing you could have said Adively.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
A couple daze after Christmas, Swmbo and I will leave Michi-gun and provide our yearly Christmas present to the south as we begin our treck once again to the Conch Republic, Cayo Hueso, for the winter with a hearty hi all y'all again. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 08:08:20 PM »
That has the potential for fun!

That's really the most reassuring thing you could have said Adively.

Okay you have an R for state senator, an R for state rep, an R for US Rep, 1 R for US Senate and unfortunately 1 D for US Senate.  I think you are in a good area politically.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
Don't forget about those other fancy items like snow plows, snow shovels, and really heavy cold weather gear.  I'm not sure 3 months of 90 degree plus weather is worse than 3 months of being snowed in with no direct sunlight. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 10:09:39 PM »
I'm not sure 3 months of 90 degree plus weather

I've got that one beat. I live on top of a mountain in the South so we don't get the extreme heat that is experienced down below.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
I'm not sure 3 months of 90 degree plus weather is worse than 3 months of being snowed in with no direct sunlight.

I've had both, and had the snow and the cold for 58 years. I'll take the heat, gladly.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
Okay you have an R for state senator, an R for state rep, an R for US Rep, 1 R for US Senate and unfortunately 1 D for US Senate.  I think you are in a good area politically.

Haven't gotten around to looking them up yet. Need to do so soon, and will. Also local politicos.

Don't forget about those other fancy items like snow plows, snow shovels, and really heavy cold weather gear.  I'm not sure 3 months of 90 degree plus weather is worse than 3 months of being snowed in with no direct sunlight. 

I'm quite sure 90+ weather is far more tolerable than snow and no sunlight. No question. I've been freezing for the past three days, I can feel my tan fading, static is building, my feet are sore from being shoved into real shoes, the layers of clothing make me feel like the Michelin (sp) man, and I've already gone through half a bottle of moisturizer because the air here is so dry. Yuck. And it isn't even really winter yet. I have to buy an ice scrapper, weigh down the bed of my truck, remember to pick up anti-freeze, invest in a real winter coat, and endure how many months of this?

Grampster, can I hitch a ride with you and Gramster as far as Key Largo when you go? I ought to be about suicidal by then.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
Haven't gotten around to looking them up yet. Need to do so soon, and will. Also local politicos.

I'm quite sure 90+ weather is far more tolerable than snow and no sunlight. No question. I've been freezing for the past three days, I can feel my tan fading, static is building, my feet are sore from being shoved into real shoes, the layers of clothing make me feel like the Michelin (sp) man, and I've already gone through half a bottle of moisturizer because the air here is so dry. Yuck. And it isn't even really winter yet. I have to buy an ice scrapper, weigh down the bed of my truck, remember to pick up anti-freeze, invest in a real winter coat, and endure how many months of this?

Grampster, can I hitch a ride with you and Gramster as far as Key Largo when you go? I ought to be about suicidal by then.

MrsSmith, it is suppose to be in the 80's by this weekend, you should be able to thaw out before the real freeze hits.  Don't forget some good all weather tires for your vehickle.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
A couple daze after Christmas, Swmbo and I will leave Michi-gun and provide our yearly Christmas present to the south as we begin our treck once again to the Conch Republic, Cayo Hueso, for the winter with a hearty hi all y'all again. =D

Freaking Snowbirds.

You drive in the right hand lane.

=D

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
Uh uh.  I drive 78 in the left lane till I hit the Florida Turnpike.  Then I have to drive 78 in the right lane because of all the crazy Florida drivers doing 90 in the left lane.

Mrs. Smith:  In fact, we're probably gonna spend New Years eve in Key Largo.  Swmbo and I charge 40 cents a mile for carrying hobos and hitchhikers south. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
$453.20, assuming you didn't charge me for having to go out of your way to pick me up here. Then 19 hours in a car with you and Gramster.

I'll fly. But thanks anyway!