Author Topic: Steampunk Airship  (Read 2922 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Steampunk Airship
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
"part balloon, part helicopter, part airplane"

I also found that to be an interesting description. Seems like the same know-nothing journalism that brought us military-grade assault-style magazine clips.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
One of the descriptions under a picture.
Useful: It's claimed the unusual craft could be used for surveillance, staying airborne for three weeks at a time

He says it like it's a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:37:49 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »
Would be fairly easy to shoot down  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »
Still kind of small by airship standards. ;)

USS Macon (ZR5)

And it had guns, and baby planes to take along.

Specifications
(As built)
Air displacement: 7,401,260 ft³ (209,580.3 m³)
Dimensions: length (oa), 785'; hull diameter, 132.9'; total height, 146.5'  /  239.3 x 40.5 x 44.7 meters
Gas volume (nominal): 6,500,000 ft³ (184,059.5 m³) of helium, 95% inflated; 12 gas cells
Armament: Eight .30-cal machine guns in nose, dorsal, ventral, and tail positions. Five Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk fighter aircraft stowed in an internal hangar.
Power plant: Eight Maybach VL-2 12-cyl water-cooled inline engines (560 hp each), driving three-bladed fixed-pitch, rotable metal propellers.
Speed: 75.6 knots (max); 55 knots (cruising)
Ceiling: 26,000 feet (~7,925 meters)
Cruising range: 5,940 nautical miles @ cruising speed
Useful lift: 160,644 lbs. (73,020 kg)
Crew: 60 (flight crew)

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/99/029905.htm

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
Interesting how they keep trying to make airships a viable form of air transportation.  If at first you don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, etc.... try, try again.
It is kind of cool looking, though.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
Interesting how they keep trying to make airships a viable form of air transportation.  If at first you don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, and don't succeed, etc.... try, try again.

Well, maybe if they used coal fired steam engine for propulsion ....   :lol:

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »
I should post that first photo to Fark.com and see if somebody will photoshop a big brown eye in that vertical grin.   :lol:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »
Classic. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Would be fairly easy to shoot down  >:D

Not so much. The Brits found it a bit challenging during WWI, and that was when they were still using hydrogen.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365154711/

Problem is that small holes don't do much. They need to be really, really big holes.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

Well, it's because the things can be so damn cool. Though not necessarily this one lol

FWIW, the Zeppelin company operated dirigibles for decades without serious issue, mostly because they were paranoid of weather. The US Navy kept trying to shove the things into thunderstorms with predictable results. Same with R101 iirc. And I think I remember that bringing Hindenburg in at the time they did so soon after a thunderstorm was technically a violation of Zeppelin Co. policy borne out of political pressures to show Nazi efficiency. With modern forecasting and weather data I would think that it wouldn't be an issue as long as the  airship had the flexibility in routing and schedule to avoid inclement weather. Of course that's what ruins an airships' commercial viability. Everybody wants their stuff on time, or to get there on time.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I should post that first photo to Fark.com and see if somebody will photoshop a big brown eye in that vertical grin.   :lol:

Or at least garter straps.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 11:12:38 PM »
50 tons with time in air of 2 to 3 weeks.  Not bad.  Probably need more tonnage. 

Would there be any use for this delivering heavy cargo where no airstrip exists?  I guess the $ per ton delivered would be the deciding factor?  Could it replace ice road truckers? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
Could it replace ice road truckers? 

On an all new Polar Vortex Sky Captains...

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 11:56:35 PM »
Looks like a prop from a Pink Floyd concert.

Or:

"And now for something completely different: a dirigible with three buttocks."

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
50 tons with time in air of 2 to 3 weeks.  Not bad.  Probably need more tonnage.  

Would there be any use for this delivering heavy cargo where no airstrip exists?  I guess the $ per ton delivered would be the deciding factor?  Could it replace ice road truckers?  

50 tons isn't really all that much compared to an 18 wheeler. One can haul 25 tons (grossing 40 tons, we have them grossing about 80 tons in Michigan). Add a few more axles and they go quite a bit heavier than that on the ice roads.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
50 tons isn't really all that much compared to an 18 wheeler. One can haul 25 tons (grossing 40 tons, we have them grossing about 80 tons in Michigan). Add a few more axles and they go quite a bit heavier than that on the ice roads.

And then they have those "road trains" in Australia  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
And then they have those "road trains" in Australia  ;)
Like I said, it depends on the total cost of tons delivered.  I expect trucks would be a lot cheaper unless they could increase the tonnage.  It also depends on the all-weather capability of the craft.  Could they deliver supply runs to Antarctica for example and handle storms and high winds?  I guess I see it as having potential, but I tend to agree that this version may not cut it for most applications. 

I recall a some SciFi books talked about using derigibles for transport due to lack of roads and air strips.  It made more sense when talking about scattered settlements on a colony world where there was no extensive road development and water transport was unavailable.  There are not that many places where that would apply here and now in real life. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge