Author Topic: statistics question, perfect bracket  (Read 370 times)

griz

• friend
statistics question, perfect bracket
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
The recent offer of a billion dollars for a perfect bracket led to a question about the odds.  So assuming every game is 50/50, what are the chances of getting every game correct?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: statistics question, perfect bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Less than a billion to one. MUCH less.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/ncaa-tournament-odds-perfect-bracket-yahoo-warren-buffett/

Statistically speaking, the odds of getting a perfect NCAA tournament bracket are 1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

Even so, allowing for some knowledge of college basketball and taking it account the norms of the NCAA tournament, the odds of a perfect bracket are still about 1 in 128 billion, according to DePaul math professor Jay Bergen. Heck, only one person on ESPN.com’s challenge has picked a perfect opening round in the past seven years. Think about that: Only one person has gotten halfway to perfection in seven years.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

griz

• friend
Re: statistics question, perfect bracket
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »
Wow, the one that floored me is it would be the same odds as hitting the powerball jackpot three times in a row

Thanks for the link.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.