Author Topic: STEAM LOCOMOTIVE FIX  (Read 1543 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
STEAM LOCOMOTIVE FIX
« on: December 14, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »
STEAM LOCOMOTIVE FIX

https://youtu.be/iIwV_LRcUoI (34:46)

Assortment of British steam locomotives.  No BS, just short clips of locos puffing through English countryside, stations, rail yards.

Plenty of conrods, valve linkages, steam chuffing up stacks, whistles.

Watch, get high, stop video, go do something else, then re-start it for more conrods, valve linkages, steam chuffing up stacks, whistles.

Ahhhhhh.... Steamvana.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: STEAM LOCOMOTIVE FIX
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »
Some really nice clips in that!

This isn't steam, and it's not a locomotive, but boy is it a fix if you like the OLD machinery...

All of the steps that you had to go through to start a Caterpillar Model 60. The 60 was originally made by Best prior to the merger that led to the creation of Caterpillar. This one would have been made post 1925 to have the Caterpillar name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1k8U5OzNWA

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »

This isn't steam, and it's not a locomotive, but boy is it a fix if you like the OLD machinery...

All of the steps that you had to go through to start a Caterpillar Model 60. The 60 was originally made by Best prior to the merger that led to the creation of Caterpillar. This one would have been made post 1925 to have the Caterpillar name.

"Remove bar from flywheel at first sign of movement."

Yeah, that's a good idea.  :laugh:

Gotta wonder how many fellas were a little slow on that...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »
They ain't talkin'.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »

Very cool!  I've been involved in the old tractor hobby since the 1980s.  Not so much now, but I'm going to drag my granddad's John Deere AR out of the barn this spring and get it running again.  I restored it in 1992 and did some shows, pulls, and parades for a while.  Last time it was out was about 12 years ago when I used it in the homecoming parade at our high school during our 40th reunion.  Nothing like popping along with a 321 ci two cylinder!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
I like the old Coffman cartridge starting method.

(Naturally.)

https://youtu.be/0gjmIqs3mgs (1:04)

There was a big deal about cartridge starting in the movie "Flight of the Phoenix," which I didn't get at the time.... pre-internet of course. So I had to ask around in the human-net for more details about it.

Terry "Wasn't born smart, but I'm still trying," 230RN

REF (Easy-Peasy Nowadays):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffman_engine_starter

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
There was a show on BBC some years ago called Wartime Farm. Three historians went back and lived, I think for a month, as if they would have during World War II. Absolutely fascinating series, I think it was 8 parts.

One of the episodes dealt with starting their tractor, and it showed them doing a cartridge start on a Field Marshall tractor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:14:42 AM »
We have an old D7 on the property (hasn’t run in a couple decades). It’s a pony motor start. You hand crank the pony motor (gasoline), let it run to warm up the coolant it shares with the diesel (and it heats the intake air too with its exhaust), open compression lever on diesel, engage pony motor to spin diesel over, then close the compression to start the engine. They used this system till the 1950s or so.

International used some engines that started on gasoline and switched to diesel, no separate engine. 

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 06:22:06 AM »
Boomhauer:

"International used some engines that started on gasoline and switched to diesel, no separate engine."

Ignition on the gasoline run:  Spark or compression?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 07:40:15 AM »
Lot of tractors in the early days, include Rumely, John Deere, and Oliver, ran on kerosene, or could run on multiple fuels with no adjustment.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »
John Deere "all-fuel" tractors started on gas and switched to distillate (a low grade diesel) when warm.  Not as much power as gas, but distillate was as low as 5 cents per gallon. The exhaust and intake manifolds were one-piece, so the manifold stayed hot enough to atomize the fuel. My dad remembered, more than once, forgetting to switch over to fuel, and then having to walk back to the farm for more gas. (They wouldn't start on distillate, even when warm.)

John Deere two cylinder diesels (1940s-1960) were available with either pony or electric start.  I always wanted an 830 with pony start.  They were the biggest and baddest of the two cylinders, described by J.R. Hobbs as "When 'POP-POP' was replaced by 'THUD-THUD'".

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »
What was the "thing" (engineering or farming advantage) with two cylinders?

Only thing I can think of is pulsating torque, which could be an advantage in sloppy conditions.

???

Terry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
My guess?

A mid point between power, capabilities, simplicity, and price.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
Technology of the time. Deere’s two cylinders were simple reliable and got the job done. Keep in mind a good portion of the time they were made was during the Depression and WWII, austere conditions to say the least.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
Hmmm.  OK.  But the other companies had already gone to more cylinders.   And there's a "two cylinder club" of sorts, so maybe it's just some kind of mystique.

Anyhow, here's a pony engine startup, which starts at 3:00.  Before that, manywords about models and model years.

Watch your sound level.

https://youtu.be/veOcZjuQoko (6:25)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 06:51:09 PM »
When I was a kid I lived near the Pere Marquette RR Yard.  They had a roundhouse and a huge blacksmith shop.  This was toward the end of the steam engine age and beginning of the diesels.  My pals and I spent many wonderful days hanging out around the PM and watching those big steam engines, hopping freights, putting pennies on the rails, and generally being a pest to the RR cops. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »
John Deere tried to develop their own tractor in the late teens and early twenties.  They had a pretty good one in the Dain AWD, but before 100 were finished, Joe Dain unexpectedly died.  After that, Deere did what they've done many times since, they found the best company making the product they wanted to sell, and bought them.  This time, it was the Waterloo Boy tractor company of Waterloo, IA in about 1923.  Waterloo Boy tractors used the same engine configuration that Deere would use until 1959, the two cylinder horizontal engine.  Deere developed a new tractor at that factory, the John Deere Model D, which stayed in the line until 1952.

Meanwhile, at McCormick-Deering, the Farmall was introduced, which was the first tractor that could plow, cultivate, mow, and whatever else separate machines had always done.  Farmall remained in the number one sales position until 1960.  Deere answered with the Models A and B in 1932, both of which had a good following, but could never quite match the sales of Farmall.  Deere continued with the two cylinder engine because it was everything Mike said above, plus rugged.  It was easy to work on, and cheap to run.  Deere tested their tractors on their own test farms, mainly the rice and cane farms down south, and if anything failed, it was back to the drawing board. It's been said that a few weeks at a rice or cane farm would reduce a Farmall to scrap metal, but the Deeres would keep going.  Unfortunately for Deere, most farmers didn't raise rice or cane, so the Farmalls stayed ahead in sales, mainly because they offered about five more horsepower for the same money.

In 1949, Deere made their last power improvements on the two cylinder, and the writing was on the wall. They started a multi-cylinder project in 1953 that was one of the best kept secrets of all time. By making small improvements to the existing two cylinder tractors, they were able to keep loyalty to the brand.  Deere introduced the Next Generation of 4 and 6 cylinder tractors at the "Deere Day in Dallas" event in 1960.  Deere immediately took over the number one spot in sales from Farmall (by then International) and has remained there since.

This has been a very brief history of Deere and Company, totally from memory, so I'm sure I made some mistakes.

Anyway, my now 70 year old John Deere AR is still popping along, doing way more work than its 37 HP would indicate.  That's drawbar HP, not engine HP as they are now measured.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
The guy who maintained the cemeteries in the town where I grew up did a lot of the mowing with a John Deere Model H, aka the Johnny Popper. You could always tell when he was heading up to the plots.