Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Holiday Leftovers

(1/4) > >>

Brad Johnson:
Per Señor Irwin's recommendation, a thread for the annual gift from the Deity that is Holiday leftovers.

I shall begin...

Thanksgiving Enchiladas. Best use of T&D leftovers EVAR!

Mince together the leftover turkey and dressing, adding just a touch of gravy for moistness.  You can add the cranberry sauce, too, if you like.  Just don't use much.  Throw in a dash of red pepper for fun.  Roll it up in flour tortillas along with a dab of cream cheese (first tried on my suggestion last year, thank you!) and place in a greased casserole.  Top with remaining gravy and shredded cheese (cheddar jack, mozzerella, or meunster depending on what you like). Bake at 350 until bubbly.  Browning the cheese under the broiler makes it even nummy-er

Brad

charby:
Hard to beat turkey sandwiches.

K Frame:
We used to have a coleslaw that was made, in part, with Miracle Whip.

It was really good. At least I loved it.

But I REALLY REALLY loved it the next day as a topping on a turkey sammich.

Another of my favorite leftover is taking the carcass and making stock out of it.

And from that stock, making either homemade vegetable soup or turkey potpie.

And if turkey vegetable soup, you take some of the leftover mashed potatoes, add an egg, and some flour and make drop dumplings out of them and cook them in the soup.

K Frame:
Forgot this, but my Mom used to make a turkey hash with leftover turkey. IIRC it also had evaporated milk in it. It was incredible. I loved it when she made that.

It was similar to this, I think.  http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/quick-turkey-hash-387462#activity-feed

K Frame:
*expletive deleted*it. I thought I was going to be fine with not traveling to Pennsylvania for the holiday now that Mom is gone.

This talk about leftovers is opening a can of memories, and with it sadness, that I really didn't expect to open.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version