Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Sweet potato pie?

(1/2) > >>

zxcvbob:
(yes, I've had it before)  I have a 29 ounce can of cut sweet potatoes in syrup in my pantry.  Not sure why I bought them about a year ago.  I'm thinking of taking this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12696/grandmas-egg-custard-pie/ and adding the sweet potatoes (undrained) to the custard, blenderizing it, and baking in a 10" pie crust.  I might have to adjust the amount of milk a little, and/or use half-n-half, to allow for the syrup.  Think it will work?

This is for Thanksgiving, so I probably ought to make my famous pecan pie (or a lemon meringue pie) for backup.  I know how to make those.

Also thinking about using up some of the canned peaches in a cobbler, and adding a cup of Craisins to make it interesting.  But I shouldn't do two experiments in one holiday meal just for the two of us...  (and two dogs; if something is inedible they will still eat it and be thankful)

charby:

--- Quote from: zxcvbob on November 22, 2017, 01:16:09 AM ---(yes, I've had it before)  I have a 29 ounce can of cut sweet potatoes in syrup in my pantry.  Not sure why I bought them about a year ago.  I'm thinking of taking this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12696/grandmas-egg-custard-pie/ and adding the sweet potatoes (undrained) to the custard, blenderizing it, and baking in a 10" pie crust.  I might have to adjust the amount of milk a little, and/or use half-n-half, to allow for the syrup.  Think it will work?
--- End quote ---

I think you are going to need a bigger pie tin adding 29 ounces of sweet taters and syrup to that recipe, may not bind well either, may need more eggs

MillCreek:
When I make a sweet potato pie, I follow the lead of my mom who learned how to make it as a child in Arkansas: pick your favorite pumpkin pie recipe and just sub out the sweet potatoes for pumpkin. So when I make it, I use canned sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.  Turns out delicious and it sets up firmly for slicing.

zxcvbob:
The pie dough is in the fridge resting.  I still need to clear enough crap off the kitchen counter to have space to roll it out.  That will be the hardest part of the whole thing.

Gonna use a can of evaporated milk instead of scalded milk in that recipe, plus enough syrup from the can to make about 2 cups.  Brown sugar instead of white, and add cinnamon and ginger to the filling.  Haven't decided yet on adding a tablespoon of cornstarch, but probably not.  Nutmeg gets grated on top.

I think it will fit in my 10" pie pan.  It's a deep Pyrex pan that I bought 30-something years ago (the 10" pans with the same number now are 1/2" shallower) and I have to multiply normal pie recipes by 4/3 to fill it.

Worst case, it doesn't quite set up and we eat it with spoons. :D

lupinus:
Personally I'd drain the syrup and mash the sweet potato, perhaps making a judgement call on consistency and sweetness to add a little of the syrup back.

Another flavoring I like to add to my sweet potato pies is bourbon or rum, doesn't take much just a few tablespoons, and up the vanilla just a little over what most recipes will call for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version