Author Topic: Take a look at my gun for sale over at TFL...  (Read 2548 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Take a look at my gun for sale over at TFL...
« on: July 30, 2008, 05:31:56 AM »
Just trying to get a little more exposure.  I'm selling my Contender outfit:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2968334

Shipping allowance is a bit high, but I have no problem refunding the difference if shipping turns out to be less.  I just don't expect it to be since it will need to go overnight and is quite heavy.

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Take a look at my gun for sale over at TFL...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
Saw it on THR, very tempting, seems most of my money has funny - symbols in front of it lately though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »
Oh, if only I saw it about 2 weeks ago.  Got two guns on order right now, waiting for WildAlaska to deliver.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:37 AM »
oh well.  I got into the Contender thing because it always looked interesting, but after having it for a while, it's not as much fun as I had expected.  It has a sweet trigger though. Ask Mike, he's seen it...

Anyway, I moved it to Gunbroker.  I'll let it sit till it sells.  I'm not desperate for the cash, just don't like having safe queens...

If anybody here is still interested, let me know and I'll pull the auction (if nobody has taken action there).  I can even work out a payment plan or something if the total price is too high to swallow at once.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106182126

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:17:43 AM »
Changed my mind.  I decided to keep the Contender and 30-30 barrel, but am selling the 7mmTCU stuff (barrel, dies, brass, bullets) if anyone here is interested.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305490

I'm negotiable on the price.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:22 AM »
So what is it like to shoot a .30-30 as a handgun?

I shot a 460 S&W a couple weeks ago and it kicked my ass.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:59:15 AM »
If Mtnbkr can shoot it, you know it must not be too bad!  laugh

Actually, recoil isn't bad on the .30-30s. It's a fairly low pressure round.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 06:03:11 AM »
So what is it like to shoot a .30-30 as a handgun?

I shot a 460 S&W a couple weeks ago and it kicked my ass.

Not bad at all.  That barrel is a 14" heavy barrel with scope, so it's got a decent amount of weight.  It just rolls upwards a bit.  It's much less punishing than my 44mag with 300gr @ 1300fps (once those handloads are gone, I'm reducing that to something in the 1100 range).

Seriously, I can shoot the 30-30 all day long.

The 7mmTCU was disapointing.  Almost as much recoil (almost same bullet weight, but with no scope and less barrel) and too much noise.  It's a popular cartridge with the target and sillywet shooters, but it's not quite enough to make me comfortable using it to hunt (some do, but I want more room for error).  As for target shooting, my 30-30 barrel is very accurate, so I gain nothing there.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
Not too hard to shoot, at all.

Honestly.  I have a similar setup, a Wichita Silhouette Pistol, which looks like a cross between a Contender and 1911.  It shoots the 7mm Rimmed International, which is the .30-30 Winchester necked down to 7mm with a 40-degree shoulderand minimum case taper.  It chronographs a 140gr bullet at just a hair over 2000fps from the 10" barrel.  It barks loudly, but really doesn't bite the shooter that much.  It will roll backwards a good bit, but it's nowhere near the vicious snap of, say, a Freedom Arms .454 Casull.  If I didn't have the Wichita, I'd have bitten on Mtnbkr's .30-30 Contender sale.  In the meantime, I just bought a nice 1968 Sears/Ted Williams Model 100 (aka, Winchester Model 94) for $200 at a local hardware store, so it's probably better that way. (Like I needed yet another gun...)  Wink

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
I'd still trade it all (action, both barrels, etc) for that 696. Cheesy

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
You like Da 696 .44 Special Barbeque Gun, I take it?  grin

Teaser pics for Mtnbkr - Since I took these pictures, I've used some good "Pol" cream on it to make the stainless shine like a mirror:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
Tease!

I've liked the 696 ever since I first fired one several years ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't "discover" them until after they were off the market.  Used ones, when available, are expensive.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
I don't understand the fuss over them, their prices are way out of proportion compared to comparable L-Frame guns in different chamberings. I also don't understand why S&W can't simply turn on the stainless L-Frame line again, just stuffing another 5-shot .44 Special cylinder and 3" barrel in them to make another batch.  Maybe they will, once they get enough letters, but you know they'll have the wart and two-piece barrel by then. I have shot the alloy-framed 296 and 396 versions, and appreciate the extra weight of the stainless 696 when firing my 240gr handloads.   shocked

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
I have been looking for a hunting pistol, which is why I tried out the 460 S&W. Also why I asked how tough was the .30-30 in a handgun.

I haven't shot a 454 Casull yet but I have shot a full house 500 S&W and didn't find that to be too bad except the cost of ammo.

I currently hunt with a .357 magnum and I want something a lot bigger.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
I don't understand the fuss over them, their prices are way out of proportion compared to comparable L-Frame guns in different chamberings. I also don't understand why S&W can't simply turn on the stainless L-Frame line again, just stuffing another 5-shot .44 Special cylinder and 3" barrel in them to make another batch.  Maybe they will, once they get enough letters, but you know they'll have the wart and two-piece barrel by then. I have shot the alloy-framed 296 and 396 versions, and appreciate the extra weight of the stainless 696 when firing my 240gr handloads.   shocked

I don't get it either.  Based on what I read, it experienced lackluster sales when it was available.  I didn't give it much thought until I actually shot one.  It was the right balance of weight to power IMO.  Then again, maybe everybody feels that way.

I have been looking for a hunting pistol, which is why I tried out the 460 S&W. Also why I asked how tough was the .30-30 in a handgun.

I currently hunt with a .357 magnum and I want something a lot bigger.

The 30-30 is a pussycat.  If you're comfortable with the 500, you'll have no problem with the 30-30.  For that matter, the 7mmTCU isn't bad either, just not what I want to shoot for recreation.  I'm kind of weird about the Contender.  I want less reoil, flatter trajectories, etc than I'm willing to tolerate in my revolvers. 

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:54 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out the use for the SNUBBIE .500, myself.

The muzzleblast on that thing must be something close to a nuclear explosion.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

Its designed to shove down a bear's throat as he is trying to eat you for a mid day snack.

Uranus is a gas giant.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »

Means that if the bullet doesn't get your target, the flames will still turn them into something that looks like it's been on the barbeque for too long.