Author Topic: Tailgate Up or Down?  (Read 2890 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tailgate Up or Down?
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
Interesting study by GM. I've never driven with the tailgate off or down outside of hauling stuff because I never figured any fuel savings would be all that great. The tailgate net thing is interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/20/tailgate-up-or-down-gmc-solves-age-old-pickup-truck-mystery/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Tailgate Up or Down?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
I usually have a shovel back there....up it is.....would rather not FOD out the cars behind me....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
Doesn't anybody watch MythBusters? 

They tested this one out years ago.

Results:  Better aerodynamics with tailgate up.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
Akin to the question of does "drafting" a vehicle increase, decrease, or not affect the power/mileage of the front vehicle.  I suppose by now someone's answered that one.

I remember a while ago this question generating three or four pages of .45 v .9-type "discussion."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
Why is this nooze?  Next thing you'll hear is a recently washed car drives better than a dirty car.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »
Why is this nooze?  Next thing you'll hear is a recently washed car drives better than a dirty car.

But not better than a dimpled car.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
Akin to the question of does "drafting" a vehicle increase, decrease, or not affect the power/mileage of the front vehicle.  I suppose by now someone's answered that one.

I remember a while ago this question generating three or four pages of .45 v .9-type "discussion."

For the vast majority of combinations, drafting improves the aerodynamics of both.  But definition, the rear vehicle is experiencing a lower average air velocity, and in most cases, the front vehicle sees a reduction in drag due to a higher pressure at the rear.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »

My car must drive really crappy then...

=D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
For the vast majority of combinations, drafting improves the aerodynamics of both.  But definition, the rear vehicle is experiencing a lower average air velocity, and in most cases, the front vehicle sees a reduction in drag due to a higher pressure at the rear.

That's what she said ...
Formerly sumpnz

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
Be sure to use a medium viscosity lubricant!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
Be sure to use a medium viscosity lubricant!

;/

The 'P' stands for 'polite', not 'pervert'.

Although, considering this crowd, maybe we could use a name change.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »
I'm sorry!   =(  I can delete the offending comment if you want.  I will be more careful in the future.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
I'm sorry!   =(  I can delete the offending comment if you want.  I will be more careful in the future.

Twas a jest.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
Armed Promiscuous Society. 

I like it!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
Armed Promiscuous Society. 

I like it!

No, no, no. 'promiscuous' is to much a mouthful and has the wrong connentation. 'pervert' more accuratly discribes the majority of the membership.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »
Interesting study by GM. I've never driven with the tailgate off or down outside of hauling stuff because I never figured any fuel savings would be all that great. The tailgate net thing is interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/20/tailgate-up-or-down-gmc-solves-age-old-pickup-truck-mystery/?intcmp=features

I read a patent a couple of years ago about reducing drag with a half tonneau cover (just the back half.) it's supposed to work better than a full cover.  The counter-intuitive part is you leave the front of the the box created by the cover and bed and tailgate *open* (and the tailgate closed.)  I have a scrap of plywood in the garage that looks about the right size but I haven't tried it yet -- would have been handy a couple of weeks ago when I took a long trip.  As an added bonus, it'll keep the rain off my luggage thrown in the back.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:15:26 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
So if I get arrested for bump drafting on the interstate can I get out of it by pleading that I was doing it for the environment? Not that I would ever initiate contact with another car, that'd be just wrong.  :angel:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
No, no, no. 'promiscuous' is to much a mouthful and has the wrong connentation. 'pervert' more accuratly discribes the majority of the membership.

And some of us might fit the perv lable while being monogamus >:D.
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »

That too.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 08:48:45 AM »
Perverted thread drift, as APS tradition
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »
I read a patent a couple of years ago about reducing drag with a half tonneau cover (just the back half.) it's supposed to work better than a full cover.  The counter-intuitive part is you leave the front of the the box created by the cover and bed and tailgate *open* (and the tailgate closed.)  I have a scrap of plywood in the garage that looks about the right size but I haven't tried it yet -- would have been handy a couple of weeks ago when I took a long trip.  As an added bonus, it'll keep the rain off my luggage thrown in the back.  

Not surprising.  The tailgate up reduces drag (for modern trucks) by creating a vortex area of higher pressure, but low flow that enables the air going over and around the cab to flow smoothly back (around the vortex) and not impact the tailgate.  A back-half tonneau cover would do something similar, by both creating the high pressure zone in the front of the bed (possibly at lower flow than having the whole bed open), while minimizing area for any bleed flow to hit.

The best would obviously be a cap that slopes downward at approx a 15deg angle, then has a K-tail at the rear to create a vortex trail to reduce wake drag.

A K-tail is the slope plus moderate flip-up seen at the back of hatchbacks designed for mileage, like a Prius.  What it does is truncate an ideal teardrop-end but create a high pressure vortex that virtually recreates it and reduces wake drag.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

Also the logic of boat-tail bullets :)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »

The correct rendering is "preverts". As in "deviated preverts".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
So maybe now they will figure out how to build a tailgate latch that lasts more than a few years  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
So if I get arrested for bump drafting on the interstate can I get out of it by pleading that I was doing it for the environment?
Years ago Richard Petty got hacked off at a driver driving too slowly in the left lane.  So he proceeds to act like a NASCAR driver and bumped her.  The judge wasn't impressed and it terminated his promising political career.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »

<trivia>

Higamus hogamus,
Woman's monogamous.
Hogamus higamus
Man is polygamous.

Ross Barnett in "The Marriage-Go-Round" by Leslie Stevens

</trivia>

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.