Author Topic: Take advantage of the cold and check for leaks  (Read 1578 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Take advantage of the cold and check for leaks
« on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
So I decided to take advantage of the single digits and check the house for cold spots.
I grabbed the IR thermometer and found a few.

I noticed a few discolored spots on the ceilings. Yep there must be a gap in the attic insulation. These little spots are 15 degrees cooler than the rest of the ceiling. No I'm not going up to look right now.

I checked the front door. Ouch, the bottom of the door is 35 on the inside. It does not seem to be the door or door gasket itself, but around the door and trim and under the threshold. Looks like I might be pulling off the molding and applying some spray foam.

The bow window in the house is cold also. I guess just because of the size.

The house was built in the mid 70's but all the windows and doors have been replaced in the last 10 years I think. Everything is vinyl double pane stuff.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Take advantage of the cold and check for leaks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »
I really need to get myself an IR thermometer. Very useful critters, they seem to be.

Any suggestions?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
Mine is a fluke model 62, had it about 5 years I think.

http://www.myflukestore.com/p3391/fluke_62.php
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
My biggest dawg likes the cold places in the house for snoozing.

Looks like he found a good leak at the door between garage and laundry room last night.  

I'll have to get a door sill strip for that.  Unless he volunteers to block it until spring...   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »
Well I check my stock and have no spray foam. I'm NOT going out to get some so the door trim is staying on for right now.
Thats a better project for when the other half is not working from home either.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »

A few months-mods

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
I should borrow the FLIR camera from work and take some photos of the house.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
You might scare yourself with something that sensitive.
A few months-mods

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »

Just ask DHS- they have drones now that are set up to do this and send info to the EPA so you can be fined for wasting energy.

Just kidding...........I think.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »
Just ask DHS- they have drones now that are set up to do this and send info to the EPA so you can be fined for wasting energy.

Just kidding...........I think.

That's how they look for indoor pot growing operations. Just copter over a neighborhood, and look for the rooftops that light up on FLIR, and then cross-reference it against electric bills.

The higher efficiency of LED lighting is cutting into the efficacy of that tactic somewhat, but generally the greenhouse conditions still ause something of a giveaway.
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
That's how they look for indoor pot growing operations. Just copter over a neighborhood, and look for the rooftops that light up on FLIR, and then cross-reference it against electric bills.

The higher efficiency of LED lighting is cutting into the efficacy of that tactic somewhat, but generally the greenhouse conditions still ause something of a giveaway.
Would it help to cover the insides of the room in tinfoil? Maybe on a frame that's somewhat smaller than the room itself?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »

My dad told me how the sheriff busted a pot growing operation where I use to live (snow belt East of Cleveland OH.)  It seems that the pot growers weren't to smart as their house was the only house, in the dead of winter, that didn't have any snow on the roof.  That kind of sparked the interest of the local drug unit and they start an investigation and finally got a warrant and a raid and netted a large grow operation.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
I thought there was a court case that ruled checking thermal fingerprint violated 4th Amendment protections.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States

Was that changed again?

Not that I have any reason to be paranoid about it.  Just thought I'd make that clear up front. [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
I thought there was a court case that ruled checking thermal fingerprint violated 4th Amendment protections.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States

Was that changed again?

Not that I have any reason to be paranoid about it.  Just thought I'd make that clear up front. [tinfoil]

stay safe.

They just work back to cover their tracks about how they discovered it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »
Would it help to cover the insides of the room in tinfoil? Maybe on a frame that's somewhat smaller than the room itself?
Just need extra insulation. Dense extruded polystyrene should do it. If they wanted to be extra paranoid, and what pothead doesn't, they could have a well insulated green room, with an unheated gap that is also well insulated, and eject the air in between the two layers out the furnace exhaust. That would only be necessary if there is supposed to be a vented space in the attic to control humidity. Can't have too much warm moist air exiting from the roof.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:14 AM »

I keep wanting to start a 'large' hydroponic strawberry grow operation with the 'true' money source being with the settlements with the cops when they bust my place...