Author Topic: Take Aleve for your back pain  (Read 3468 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Take Aleve for your back pain
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PainManagement/BackPain/54202

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2463257

Giving the patients cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, a muscle relaxant) or oxycodone/acetaminophen (Percocet, a narcotic) did not improve lower back pain for patients seen in the ED more than plain naproxen (Aleve, an anti-inflammatory) alone.

Since all of us here are getting older and no doubt prone to lower back pain, this is some news you can use.  Take a single 500 mg. tablet of naproxen twice a day for ten days for your lower back pain as per the JAMA article.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Take Aleve for your back pain
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
Filing that away for the next time I do something stupid.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
I love Aleve. Wonderful stuff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
How does Aleve relate to Aspirin and Acetominophine (Tylenol)? I can't take anything related to Aspirin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »
I love Aleve. Wonderful stuff.

Ditto.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
I wish Tordol/Ketorolac wasn't toxic or had so many side-effects that prevent long-term use.

It's an NSAID, but by way of analogy, Naproxen is to Tordol as Morphine is to Fentanyl.

Rots your liver and kidneys and other things that are unpleasant preventing anyone from using it more than a week, or even just 3 days by IV, but damn if it doesn't work awesome on almost any kind of muscular or skeletal pain.

The main downside besides that is that you kind of tune out all the teeny tiny little aches and discomforts and don't notice them until they're all gone. And that's where wishing you could take it every day came back in.  =|

I promise not to duck.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:33:02 PM »
My chronic back pain got a lot better when the medicos put me on voltaren Rx for my knee. I hate taking anything but Aleve was minimally effective. I could only walk 4 blocks and was limping.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:07:10 PM »
Per http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=2247e68f-60ba-42fc-b617-2fc2843994a5 it may cause problems for those allergic to aspirin.

There is only 20mg of sodium in Aleve which would allow it to claim to be a low-sodium product.  Which raises questions about why there are so many reports of folks ballooning up with water retention.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Aspirin and Ibuprofen are ROUGH on some folks gut, be careful. If ya have ulcer or G.E.R.D. issues, that stuff can cause ya serious issues...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
I would love Aleve, if it worked on me.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
Naproxen and Naproxen Sodium are two different drugs. Related, but different.

When I was in an accident years ago the doc gave me enteric coated Voltaren. It still ripped the living hell out of me. I couldn't take it.

Regarding the 500 mg Aleve... I think it's only sold in 20 mg tables OTC.

I'd have to take 25 of the damned things all at once?

Yikes...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »
I have a prescription for Mobic/Meloxicam. Good stuff. I take it "as needed" for 4-5 days to a week or so at a shot when my back is acting up. Also makes the other aches and pains that are reminders of youthful exuberance go away.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
I've got to talk to my doctor...

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Regarding the 500 mg Aleve... I think it's only sold in 20 mg tables OTC.

It's 220mg per tablet.

Oh, and do not mix it with ibuprofen.  My doctors warned me about that after finding out I was.  They said it's horrid on your liver. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
It's 220mg per tablet.

Oh, and do not mix it with ibuprofen.  My doctors warned me about that after finding out I was.  They said it's horrid on your liver. 

Oh...

Uh...

Anyone have a stomach pump?

I could have sworn it was 20 mg.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »
Two OTC naproxen sodium tablets are the equivalent of one Rx tablet.  Or they were some years back.  

Unless the pain is to the point where I need heavy narcotics, naproxen sodium (at 1x or 2x OTC) has been able to manage it.  The piddlier narcotics I do not bother taking.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »
Two OTC naproxen sodium tablets are the equivalent of one Rx tablet.  Or they were some years back.  

Ones I bought recently were 220 mg tablets, so they'd be about 60 mg less than the Rx's. Not quite Rx strength, but not a huge difference, either.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »
Do be careful taking it, as it can cause kidney damage.  Make sure you talk to you doc first before taking any meds, especially if your doing it as a maintenance med.

Standard medical info disclaimer, as this is not WebMD and no, you don't have Lupus.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 06:24:13 AM »
I took two last night before I went to bed...

I guess my stomach wasn't as full as I thought it was, as I'm in the full throes of NASID irritation.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 06:46:28 AM »
I took two last night before I went to bed...

I guess my stomach wasn't as full as I thought it was, as I'm in the full throes of NASID irritation.

SWMBO damn near bled out one time early in our marriage due to taking Aleve at dosages recommended by her doctor.  That was a fun time with her in intensive care.  ER doc said she was lucky to have survived.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 06:49:48 AM »
Not to worry, I just cauterized any bleeding with some rather spicy breakfast enchiladas.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
I don't know whether or not if it's really the Aleve, but since I started this, my back feels better than it has in years, and my Achilles tendons are both significantly better. I'm walking with far less discomfort than I have been in a long time.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 08:14:07 PM »
I'm taking 1100mg/day.  Makes all the difference in the world.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
Wow...

Yesterday I had a couple of twinges in my back, but it was essentially the first pain free day I've had in years.

This morning my back feels loose and completely without pain.

My achilles are still a bit stiff, but they are also so much better it's not even funny.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
The experiment continues, and continues to be a big success.

Today may be the first time in literally years that I've been able to sit at my desk long-term and not have shooting pains rolling down my leg.

The ankles are a little stiff, but they calm down quickly. I'm walking more freely, and my back isn't seizing up when I walk. The experiment tomorrow is walk from metro to the office, which is about a third of a mile and which was pretty much impossible before.