Author Topic: Take Aleve for your back pain  (Read 3470 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Take Aleve for your back pain
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 01:29:16 PM »
Naproxin has always been pretty good for my back issues. Currently a few days into a steroid pack for a potential inflamed/bulged disk- seems to be working really well so far.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 10:06:17 PM »
Aspirin and Ibuprofen are ROUGH on some folks gut, be careful. If ya have ulcer or G.E.R.D. issues, that stuff can cause ya serious issues...

Aleve works really well in relieving pain for me! However, having Ulcerative Colitis, it causes intestinal bleeding for me, as with all nsaids, (excluding acetomenaphine, which does nothing) so I am stuck with Opiods.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 07:31:53 AM »
Walk from the metro to the office went swimmingly. I could feel the muscles in my back, but they never seized up as they've done in the past.

The ankles were good, too.

Today the ankles and back are good (the back is a little tight). The problem is my right calf. It's quite tight today, which I think is a result of all of the walking yesterday, not the back issues.

Over the next few days I'm going to wean myself off the Aleve to see if breaking the pain cycle has provided any longer-term benefits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »
Just an update. I stopped the regular Aleve last week, but my back is still in good shape, with none of the spasms that were par for the course for a couple of years. It still gets tired, but none of the shooting pains.

The Achilles tendons are still a bit on the painful side, but that comes and goes.

Saturday I met up with Clan Mtnbkr (nice pink tartan, Chris!) and we walked around a local "town center" complex, visiting a number of stores and the farmer's market (where I bought some incredible local cheese!).

I took a couple of Aleve before that outing, and I did get a bit sore, but I was able to get through the better part of several hours on my feet standing and walking with some intermittent sitting.

This morning again I walked down from the metro, and nary a back spasm. I can feel the muscles; they're tight, but they didn't drop me in the middle of the street.

Whomever the OP was who posted the article, thank you. I had pretty much come to accept that my back wasn't going to be getting any better, and it was going to affect my mobility for probably the rest of my life.

Using the Aleve regularly to break the pain cycle (as opposed to treating the pain after it got really bad) has made a HUGE difference for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »

Whomever the OP was who posted the article, thank you. I had pretty much come to accept that my back wasn't going to be getting any better, and it was going to affect my mobility for probably the rest of my life.

Using the Aleve regularly to break the pain cycle (as opposed to treating the pain after it got really bad) has made a HUGE difference for me.

I try to be a full-service risk manager.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
And yet you failed to manage the risk and allowed Jamis to move back to Virginia.

:facepalm:

:rofl:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 08:52:51 AM »
And yet you failed to manage the risk and allowed Jamis to move back to Virginia.

Risk manager, not risk miracle-worker.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »
Do you stretch your achilles regularly?

When I had a bout of sore feet (Plantar fasciitis) after a backpack trip I started doing some stretching on a stair with good effect.

It looks like Aleve is where it's at. I stopped taking Advil due to my GERD but doing all the things I do I occasionally get back pain. I'll see if the Aleve is easier on the belly. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »
"Do you stretch your achilles regularly?"

I've started again, yes. I was stretching them during the worst of my back issues, and it was just making the situation worse.

"I'll see if the Aleve is easier on the belly."

Generally, no. It's about the same for most people. Your best defense is to take it on a full stomach.

The real solution would be enteric-coated Aleve, but I don't think that's available OTC, only prescription.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
I was really stiff and sore yesterday, so based on this thread I went out and bought a bottle of Aleve to try it out.  Took some food and cut one of the pills in half... possibly destroying the enteric coating effect.

I had difficulty going to sleep, probably for other reasons.  Feeling lots better today.

By the way, speaking of back pains, I had persistent severe (8/10 level) a couple of years ago just above my right buttock.  Two trips to the emergency room within a year over it when it got real bad.  

Discovered that if I quit sitting on my wallet, kept in my right back pocket, the pain quit.

I had been sitting on that wallet 9 hours a day at the office and in commuting.

Bought a wallet with a chain, and now take it out and park it in my lap whenever I'm going to sit for a while.

Helpful hint?  I dunno.  Just what happened in my case.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
"possibly destroying the enteric coating effect."

If you've found enteric-coated Aleve, please tell me where to get it.

I can't find any indication that it's available without a prescription.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

Discovered that if I quit sitting on my wallet, kept in my right back pocket, the pain quit.

Helpful hint?  I dunno.  Just what happened in my case.

Terry

The same worked for me years ago.  The wallet pushes on the sciatic nerve, IIRC.  I stopped sitting on my wallet and started stretching that area and I haven't had any issues since.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
I only sit on my wallet when I'm wearing jeans.

The slacks I wear to work (chinos, Jake from State Farm...) are cut such that my wallet rides off to the side and up my hip.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »
"possibly destroying the enteric coating effect."

If you've found enteric-coated Aleve, please tell me where to get it.

I can't find any indication that it's available without a prescription.

Well, they were brown blue, and when I cut the pill in half, the innards of it were white.  So I presumed that was an enteric coating.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:35:16 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
No, probably not. Most likely just a coating to make them easier to swallow.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
So I had an acute episode of lumbar back pain and muscle spasm starting on Monday.  As per the JAMA article, I have been taking 440 mg. naproxen sodium twice a day and using a heating pad on my lower back when I got home from work, and it is really doing the trick.  I am back up to about 80% function. I am going to continue a full ten day course of the naproxen.  I have learned to take it with some food, since it does a number on my empty stomach.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
I backed off taking the Aleve after I started feeling really good, and over the course of about a week things started to go back to the way they were, so I've started on the Aleve again.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
Sounds like this Aleve regime is sorta like antibiotics - you have to stay the course even after you feel better for it to be fully effective?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Take Aleve for your back pain
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »

Worked for me. Once he left, the sun shone a little brighter, and my property values went up.....

8)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.