Author Topic: Tailgate Thefts Are Down  (Read 1274 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tailgate Thefts Are Down
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »
I had no idea this was even a thing, but it's down. I can't believe the backup cameras would fetch anything considering how cheap aftermarket ones are on Amazon, and where is the market for a stolen tailgate?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/06/21/tailgate-thefts-dropped-in-2015/?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Tailgate Thefts Are Down
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24:05 AM »
I have heard they are easy to remove.  My brother put a different lug on his to make it hard to remove.  I have no idea why anyone would steal one.  I guess all vehicle parts can be expensive sometimes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:08:24 AM »
When I bought the 2016 Toyota Tacoma, apparently it was a very big deal that the tailgate now locked to prevent these thefts.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
My 2011 Ram 1500 has a locking tailgate.
The back-up camera in it would probably be expensive to replace.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
Considering the beating some of them take and the cost to replace I can see the reason.

But then there is always this:  https://www.google.com/search?q=tailgate+bench&biw=1920&bih=1024&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwir7Jb10cDNAhWINj4KHVldDekQsAQIGw
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »
Considering the beating some of them take and the cost to replace I can see the reason.

But then there is always this:  https://www.google.com/search?q=tailgate+bench&biw=1920&bih=1024&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwir7Jb10cDNAhWINj4KHVldDekQsAQIGw

Trivia alert!
Chevy used the same tailgate from 1954 through 1987.
In fact the entire bed box other than fenders was essentially unchanged from '54 to '87.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 08:44:41 AM »
When I bought the 2016 Toyota Tacoma, apparently it was a very big deal that the tailgate now locked to prevent these thefts.

I've never had a reason to remove it on the F-250 (which I sold this week, so I can't test it now), but on two previous F-150s and a Jeep Comanche, they were really quick and easy to remove.

Still don't see where the market is, unless it's a self-perpetuating market of people who had theirs stolen looking for a deal on a replacement.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
My 1999 F250 came with a locking tailgate (I bought it new). I've never used the lock and for sure nobody would want it now that its rusting out and dented.
I'm hoping to get another 10 years and another 100k miles on it- with or without the tailgate.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 01:12:24 AM »
I've never had a reason to remove it on the F-250 (which I sold this week, so I can't test it now), but on two previous F-150s and a Jeep Comanche, they were really quick and easy to remove.

Can confirm the F250 is the same way, at least on the '90 model. You open it a certain amount (IIRC it's about halfway), unhook the side cables, then simply pull the entire thing off. Might take a minute if you're slow.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »
Can confirm the F250 is the same way, at least on the '90 model. You open it a certain amount (IIRC it's about halfway), unhook the side cables, then simply pull the entire thing off. Might take a minute if you're slow.

I thought every tailgate ever made worked that way.

Well, except for the one on our old, Chevy station wagon. It was a tailgate when you rolled down the window (by turning the key the opposite way), and opened to the side, if the window was up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife