Author Topic: Time for New Yorkers to evacuate?  (Read 5662 times)

nico

• friend
Time for New Yorkers to evacuate?
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3824
Anti-Gun Bills Head to State Senate in New York!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Make Your Voice Heard Today!

This week, several anti-gun measures passed the State Assembly and are now heading to the State Senate, where they will most likely be referred to the State Senate Codes Committee.

Assembly Bill 6525A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Amy Paulin (D-88), would create new sales and reporting requirements for licensed firearms dealers and require dealers to carry a minimum of $1,000,000 of liability insurance.   AB6525A passed by a vote of 85 to 53.

Assembly Bill 9819A, authored by State Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel (D-16), would  ban the sale of semi-automatic handguns not equipped with so-called "microstamping" technology. The bill requires all semiautomatic pistols sold in the state to microstamp an array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol on the firing pin, which would copy the characters onto the cartridge case upon firing.  AB9819A passed by a vote of 90 to 43.

Assembly Bill 7331, sponsored by State Assemblyman Matthew Titone (D-61), would expand the ban on semi-automatic assault weapons, as well as require the ballistic fingerprinting(registration) of all semi-automatic assault weapons owned prior to a specified date.  AB7331 passed by a vote of 85 to 46.

Assembly Bill 3451, introduced by State Assemblyman David Koon (D-135), would expand New Yorks failed ballistic imaging program.  AB3451 passed by a vote of 79 to 49.

Assembly Bill 2772, authored by State Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-3), would ban the sale, use or possession of any firearm with a bore diameter .50 caliber or larger.  This bill would require gun owners in possession of these firearms to surrender them to law enforcement. 

Assembly Bill 829, sponsored by State Assemblyman Steve Englebright (D-4), would prohibit the sale of any handgun that doesnt contain a childproofing device or mechanism incorporated into the design of the handgun.  AB829 passed by a vote of 86 to 46.

Assembly Bill 76, sponsored by State Assemblyman Harvey Weisenberg (D-20), would require the mandatory storage of all firearms.  AB76 passed by a vote of 95 to 35.

Assembly Bill 3447, introduced by State Assemblyman David Koon (D-135), would ban the sale or possession of frangible ammunition.  AB3447 passed by a vote of 85 to 40.

It is critical that all of these measures are voted down in order to protect the Second Amendment rights of all gun-owners in New York State.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Time for New Yorkers to evacuate?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:38:46 AM »
I left a long time ago, but I feel as if it time to fight back.
I'm not sure how, Heller was a good start, if we win its time to step up lawsuits against these fascist.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:42:41 AM »
It'd be nice if people had the option, but sadly most don't.  I keep hoping all of the gun owners leave places like CA, NYC and such.  I'm going out on a limb here, but since the majority of gun owners I know are responsible, law-abiding, and most important, tax paying people, I would think that if all of the gun folks could up-root and move out, most of those anti-gun areas would take a major hit.

But we can't all do it.  I live in CT.  The gun laws chafe my butt.  I'm 6 years from retirement and I can't leave yet.  I'm not financially capable of it.  So, I stay.... and get more and more upset.... and stay a bit longer.... all the time saying I can deal with this each time they add another law that takes a bit more away.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:35:43 AM »
Assembly Bill 6525A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Amy Paulin (D-88), would create new sales and reporting requirements for licensed firearms dealers and require dealers to carry a minimum of $1,000,000 of liability insurance.   AB6525A passed by a vote of 85 to 53.

AKA, destroy all FFLs. Insurance they can't afford, and a Bloomberg no-knock if they forget to dot an "i" on a single form.

Assembly Bill 9819A, authored by State Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel (D-16), would  ban the sale of semi-automatic handguns not equipped with so-called "microstamping" technology. The bill requires all semiautomatic pistols sold in the state to microstamp an array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol on the firing pin, which would copy the characters onto the cartridge case upon firing.  AB9819A passed by a vote of 90 to 43.

That means no more SIGs in NY, since they said they wouldn't bother with that. Probably no Glock either. S&W might comply, though.
Assembly Bill 2772, authored by State Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-3), would ban the sale, use or possession of any firearm with a bore diameter .50 caliber or larger.  This bill would require gun owners in possession of these firearms to surrender them to law enforcement.

Any firearm? So a .69 caliber blackpowder musket would need to be surrendered?

Assembly Bill 3447, introduced by State Assemblyman David Koon (D-135), would ban the sale or possession of frangible ammunition.  AB3447 passed by a vote of 85 to 40.

Wait, wait, wait...Do they even know what frangible ammunition IS? As in, range-safe, or the sort that lets someone fire a 9mm in an apartment with less chance of shooting through all their neighbors' apartments? What the hell?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:31:21 AM »

Well I guess all the NY'ers will have to turn in their shotguns also, unless it is a .410.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 06:43:22 AM »

Well I guess all the NY'ers will have to turn in their shotguns also, unless it is a .410.

You're right! 28 gauge and up, a shotgun slug is larger than that. Wow.

10-Gauge = Bore Diameter of .775 inches
12-Gauge = Bore Diameter of .729 inches
16-Gauge = Bore Diameter of .662 inches
20-Gauge = Bore Diameter of .615 inches
28-Gauge = Bore Diameter of .550 inches
67-Gauge = Bore Diameter of .410 inches

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »
Interesting, all of the knuckleheads introducing these bills are Democrats.  Go figure.

Yea I know there might be a few Repubs or Indy's but I'm sure they don't have much of a say in that nasty state.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
[/as well as require the ballistic fingerprinting(registration) of all semi-automatic assault weapons owned prior to a specified date.quote] They do know that that is a junk science at best right?

Have fun arming NYPD.

would ban the sale, use or possession of any firearm with a bore diameter .50 caliber or larger.  This bill would require gun owners in possession of these firearms to surrender them to law enforcement.

As mentioned before...WOW...just WOW.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 06:24:21 AM »
I read about the .50 ban bill, looks like it has passed by the assembly in the past.

A02772 Memo:
BILL NUMBER:A2772A

TITLE  OF BILL:  An act to amend the penal law and the executive law, in
relation to banning the sale, possession or use of 50-caliber weapons

PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL: To ban the possession, sale and use  of
50-caliber weapons in the state of New York, to impose additional penal-
ties  for  the use of a 50-caliber weapon while committing certain felo-
nies and to implement procedures for public compliance with  this  stat-
ute.

SUMMARY  OF  SPECIFIC  PROVISIONS:  Section  1  Legislative findings and
declaration

Sections 2-3 Definitions

Sections 4-19 Crimes of possession, use, display or transport of 50-cal-
iber weapon

Sections 20-21 Exceptions to felony classifications

Section 22 Compliance provisions

Section 23 Effective date

JUSTIFICATION: The 50-caliber weapon is one of the most dangerous  weap-
ons  in  the  U.S.  military`s arsenal. These weapons are used for long-
range tactical assassinations and assaults in the U.S. Military.   These
deadly  weapons  are accurate for up to 2000 yards (20 football fields),
or over one mile.

Although these powerful anti-personal weapons were designed for military
purposes, these weapons have appeared  in  the  civilian  market.  These
weapons  of war are readily available on the Internet and in gun stores.
Records obtained by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and  Firearms)
indicated  that  the largest manufacturer, the Barrett Company, manufac-
tured and sold over 2,800 50-caliber rifles between 1987-1998.  Investi-
gators  found that some of these weapons ended up in the hands of domes-
tic  and  international  terrorist   organizations,   religious   cults,
international  drug  traffickers,  and  violent criminals. These weapons
serve absolutely no legitimate non-military purpose.

The 50-caliber bullets from these military weapons travel at  a  tremen-
dous velocity and can travel great distance even after passing through a
target.  A  prudent  target  shooter aiming at a wooden target should be
certain that no one is within a distance of 2 miles beyond that target.

On April 28, 1999, the United States Marine Corps Scout  Sniper  Schools
invited  the Democratic minority staff to its training facility in Quan-
tico, Virginia, to see a demonstration  of  the  fifty  caliber  weapon.
During  the demonstration, the Marine instructors discussed the destruc-
tive power of several fifty-caliber rounds.

They showed how an armor piercing round penetrated one inch thick rolled
homogeneous armor found on armored  vehicles  throughout  the  world,  a
three  and a half inch thick steel manhole cover, a two inch thick steel
track from a tractor, a piece of  three  quarter  inch  bullet-resistant
glass,  and four cinder blocks with three quarter inch walls laid end to
end. Finally, a Marine shooter fired multiple shots in rapid  succession
completely through a six-hundred pound safe. Congressman Henry Waxman

According to a report by the Violence Policy Center, Al Qaeda, Osama bin
Laden`s  terrorist organization, purchased at least twenty-five 50-cali-
ber weapons from a U.S. manufacturer. This fact came  to  light  at  the
trial  of terrorists convicted of the American embassy bombings in Afri-
ca. Al Qaeda also purchased range finders, night vision scopes and night
goggles which the manufacturer boasts will make the  weapon  "even  more
effective under cover of darkness."

This bill will ban the possession, sale and use of 50-caliber weapons in
order to protect our citizens and our law enforcement personnel who risk
their lives to keep us safe.

PRIOR  LEGISLATIVE HISTORY:  2005-2006: A.4471-A - passed Assembly 2004:
A7039a - passed Assembly

EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »

Any firearm? So a .69 caliber blackpowder musket would need to be surrendered?

That is the whole point of this Bill, last year the press in NYC had a field day because "a loophole"  allowed   ".50 calibers"

The articles were about a guy caught with a BP rifle but the pictures were all Barrets .50

I would dig up the thread from the high road but I cant because I was banned for reasons that were never really made clear.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:46:41 AM »
Erase the cookies from your browser.  You can then search or read THR like any other guest.

If you use Internet Explorer, click on tools and internet options. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
Erase the cookies from your browser.  You can then search or read THR like any other guest.

Most forums won't let you search unless you're a member to keep spambots from harvesting email addresses.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 08:19:10 PM »
Who cares about other forums?  THR DOES allow searching by non-members.  Sorry to steal Irwin's usual shtick, but...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »
Who cares about other forums?  THR DOES allow searching by non-members.  Sorry to steal Irwin's usual shtick, but...

What shtick?

Generally I don't concern myself with THR or its operation.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 04:38:45 PM »
I was just referring to your general grouchy attitude, and I mean that in the best possible way.   angel

mek42

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »

NY Penal code section 265 (weapons) defines "firearm" to mean a handgun, SBR or SBS.  Is the Assembly smart enough to realize that this proposed law wouldn't ban the 50 BMG rifles?  Or have they fiddled with something somehow?

nico

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 04:27:30 AM »

NY Penal code section 265 (weapons) defines "firearm" to mean a handgun, SBR or SBS.  Is the Assembly smart enough to realize that this proposed law wouldn't ban the 50 BMG rifles?  Or have they fiddled with something somehow?

Probably not.  I'm afraid the local PDs and DAs aren't either. undecided

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 04:37:49 AM »
Bet you Philly is going to push for more state laws in PA, now, since the bank robber that killed a cop used an "AK-47", probably a WASR.

Nutter loves to blame guns.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 05:17:53 AM »

I tried that, nope.
The search button doesn't even appear any longer.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

I tried that, nope.
The search button doesn't even appear any longer.

Go to google and type in "site:thehighroad.org", then your search terms.

THR doesn't allow searching by guests, which is why I originally made an account over there, even though I'd spent much more time at TFL (which DOES allow guest searches).
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

mek42

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

Wait, wait, wait...Do they even know what frangible ammunition IS? As in, range-safe, or the sort that lets someone fire a 9mm in an apartment with less chance of shooting through all their neighbors' apartments? What the hell?

Very doubtful.  Above and beyond the irritating intent, many of these gun control bills are so poorly written it surprises me that our politicians made it through grammar school much less any college or professional schools they may have gone to.

XJChief

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:51:33 AM »
Hey GunSmith didn't your signature there used to say "I'm not a real gun smith" when you were on THR?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
THR doesn't allow searching by guests,

I just did a search on THR, and I was banned long ago.  But if you clear out your cookies, so that the site no longer recognizes you, you can read, search, and do just about anything other than post.