Author Topic: Times Square bomber picked up trying to leave country  (Read 11583 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Times Square bomber picked up trying to leave country
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:37:19 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/04/pakistani-american-arrested-times-square-plot/

NEW YORK -- A U.S. citizen from Pakistan accused of driving a bomb-laden SUV into Times Square and parking it on a street lined with restaurants and Broadway theaters was to appear in court Tuesday to face charges for his failed attempt to set off a massive fireball and kill Americans, federal authorities said.

The suspect, Faisal Shahzad, was taken into custody late Monday by FBI agents and New York Police Department detectives while trying to leave the country, according to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and other officials. He was identified by customs agents at John F. Kennedy International Airport and was stopped before boarding a flight to Dubai, Holder said early Tuesday in Washington, D.C.
More at the link. According to the morning news he's a naturalized citizen for about a year, and was picked up after boarding a plane headed for Dubai.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Times Square bomber picked up trying to leave country
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:11 AM »
Man, this guy left a clue trail a mile wide. Rocket science? Not so much. Good police work, IMO.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:04:18 AM »
Something doesn't seem right. Not sure what, though.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:59:57 AM »

That we still allow folks from Splodeystan to immigrate to the USA?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:22 AM »
He's just pissed off about Obamacare.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »

The thing that I don't like about this case (and a few others) is they way that some officials want to proclaim that "he was acting alone" so quickly.  There are all kinds of investigations that police will not comment on, but for some reason, they feel that they can state definitively less than 48 hours after the incident that he acted alone. I think that is pretty odd. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
The PTB risk nothing by saying "lone operator".  It may be a smokescreen to hide their ongoing search for accomplices.  I sincerely hope they're still following the evidence to see if it's so.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
Why would white male domestic terrorist Faisal Shahzad (real name Billy Bob Smith*) be trying to leave the country?

*Bloomberg investigation files data
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
Faisal Shahzad

He can't be acting alone.  He doesn't have a middle name.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »

Pakistan isn't Splodeystan, though. It's a US ally, they're targeted by Al-Quaeda in the Global Holy War [tm], etc.

they feel that they can state definitively less than 48 hours after the incident that he acted alone.

Don't you think that sensible accomplices would have pointed out: "Hey, Faisal, this is the wrong brand of fertilizer" or "Don't you think we should build a test device before we try and, you know, blow up Times Square"?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
Pakistan isn't Splodeystan, though. It's a US ally, they're targeted by Al-Quaeda in the Global Holy War [tm], etc.

It's a "US ally" by military coup.  The population doesn't support the US. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
It's a "US ally" by military coup.  The population doesn't support the US. 

The current President of Pakistan has been properly elected (and is famous for divesting his office of several powers).

OTOH, Al-Quaeda and its allies murdered three thousand Pakistani in the last year alone. Doesn't look like they consider them friends.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
Don't you think that sensible accomplices would have pointed out: "Hey, Faisal, this is the wrong brand of fertilizer" or "Don't you think we should build a test device before we try and, you know, blow up Times Square"?

I don't necessarily assume that he would have sensible accomplices.   =)

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
The PTB risk nothing by saying "lone operator".  It may be a smokescreen to hide their ongoing search for accomplices.  I sincerely hope they're still following the evidence to see if it's so.

I have thought about that, but a simple "we can't comment right now" would seem to suffice. 

I'm sure that like so many of these cases, there will be more questions than answers by the time the media has moved on to a different story. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »

Maybe if we had a State Dept. that wasn't filled with mandarin Marxists from "good schools" we might have some common sense policies regarding the obvious.  Too many of our top-echelon tops live in complete delusion about the realities of this planet today.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
Maybe if we had a State Dept. that wasn't filled with mandarin Marxists from "good schools" we might have some common sense policies regarding the obvious.  Too many of our top-echelon tops live in complete delusion about the realities of this planet today.
R's and D's are completely guilty of this McCain has always wanted to illegals, never mind legal ones like our current suspect. I can't go to Pakistan and drive a cab, every country in Europe that our so called biggov elite and rad/lib elite so much think we should be like, require so much red tape and proof that the job you take can not be filled by a local that it is nearly impossible to find a legit job there if you're a yank. Was there a shortage of cab drivers that needed to filled by Pakistani's?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
Am I the only one here that is estatic? Estatic that the "suspicious white male" was just apparently stuffy in his sweatshirt? You know all the news shows already had their domestic terror experts retained and their !OMG TEA PARTY TERRORIST WAR! graphics all ginned up. I was thinking, "hmm, doesn't much look like the Reichstag, but it will do for them."

Actually, it will do for them anyway. In the vein of never wasting a crisis it appears the watchword will be "See something, say something." Yea for an excuse to spy on everyone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »
A test case, mayhaps.  Perhaps underwear boy in Detriot was a probe also.  But then again, they are not looking for a knock out or even staggering blow.  They are looking for symbolic wins.  "See, we poked the Great Satan in the eye !!"

It's also just enough to make us turn up the heat on our own citizens.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 03:44:37 PM »
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/308720/may-03-2010/times-square-terrorism

Colbert nails it
"That was a wonderful bomb and we were all sufficiently terrorized"
"There is no need to try that again"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »

OTOH, Al-Quaeda and its allies murdered three thousand Pakistani in the last year alone. Doesn't look like they consider them friends.

Sad to say, there is a huge swath of Pakistan that falls under the heading of splodeystan. Or, as we put it Talibanistan. The Paki government has little to no control in the north and northwestern areas of it's country along the border with Afghanistan. It serves as a haven for Taliban and other sorts who keep the local populace under their boot heel through various violent means. The local populace themselves have a nagging habit of just rolling over for the Taliban, and paying their extorted "taxes" or allowing them the free run of their land while submitting to their perverse form of Sharia.

The Taliban would regularly make incursions from Splodeystan/Talibanistan in order to make attacks against Americans and cooperative Local Nationals in Afghanistan, and then would flee back across border where they could sit with relative impunity because "Pakistan is our ally, and they asked us not to invade their airspace." Ally status or not, Pakistan is an uncontrolled region with a government impotent to adequately secure itself. Add to this evidence that the ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence agency of Pakistan) was actively supporting the Taliban and working against Americans and I can not see any reason which would justify allowing anyone into the U.S. on Pakistani papers at this time.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:50 PM »
The Taliban would regularly make incursions from Splodeystan/Talibanistan in order to make attacks against Americans and cooperative Local Nationals in Afghanistan, and then would flee back across border where they could sit with relative impunity because "Pakistan is our ally, and they asked us not to invade their airspace." Ally status or not, Pakistan is an uncontrolled region with a government impotent to adequately secure itself. Add to this evidence that the ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence agency of Pakistan) was actively supporting the Taliban and working against Americans and I can not see any reason which would justify allowing anyone into the U.S. on Pakistani papers at this time.

....really?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:11:44 PM by PTK »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
....really?

Really. If Paki's want in they should have to pass a rigorous background check conducted by us. We should not be taking the Paki government's word on who they are and where they are from.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
Even that one surgeon/M.D.?
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
Even that one surgeon/M.D.?

And how would you know it actually was that Surgeon/M.D.? Because the Pakistani government told you it was?