Author Topic: Times Square bomber picked up trying to leave country  (Read 11584 times)

PTK

• friends
Re: Times Square bomber picked up trying to leave country
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
Ah. There's the root of the issue, then. Corrupt gov't. Shame, really, that after all that work, money, and life went into the "WAR ON TERROR!" we still have to deal with a PITA gov't.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »
And how would you know it actually was that Surgeon/M.D.? Because the Pakistani government told you it was?

Hey, we accepted the PRC's word for the ages of their gymnastics team, and that went well, didn't it?  No one exploded during the floor exercises & such.

I think we should always accept the pronouncements of corrupt and/or despotic regimes at face value.  To do otherwise is just wrong.  And racist.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »
Even that one surgeon/M.D.?

you can always trust doctors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele

At Auschwitz, Mengele did a number of twin studies. After the experiment was over, these twins were usually murdered and their bodies dissected. He supervised an operation by which two Romanie children were sewn together to create conjoined twins; the hands of the children became badly infected where the veins had been resected, this also caused gangrene.[9]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:03:13 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »
Hey!  Not to worry.  The boot that Obama has on the neck of BP will soon be on the necks of all Overseas Unrully Males Of A Certain Radical Religious Persuasion And Of A Certain Color That We Wish Wouldn't Always Get The Blame And We Hoped They'd Change Into Fat White Male Protestant Tea Baggers. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 07:28:42 PM »
Pakistambodia  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
Anyone seen a recent photo of this guy?  All the news sites seem to be using his facebook page...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »
If this guy had any training in Pakistan I'm guessing it was metered out by Wile al-Quyote.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
If this guy had any training in Pakistan I'm guessing it was metered out by Wile al-Quyote.

Now that's a weird part of this whole thing. The splodey-folk in Pakistan know how to do a lot better than some fireworks, a few propane tanks and some bags of the wrong fertilizer.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
Anyone seen a recent photo of this guy?  All the news sites seem to be using his facebook page...
google image search comes up with this [tinfoil],,,but i think he's to old. [popcorn]

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
google image search comes up with this [tinfoil],,,but i think he's to old. [popcorn]

Real happy looking bunch, eh?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »

I thought he looks like Nick.....Say has anyone heard from Nick recently ??   :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »
Don't you think that sensible accomplices would have pointed out: "Hey, Faisal, this is the wrong brand of fertilizer" or "Don't you think we should build a test device before we try and, you know, blow up Times Square"?

Maybe he was the Private Pyle of his terrorist training camp. He wants to be a secret agent for Al-Q, but they don't really want to use him, so he tries to prove himself.

Or perhaps we are doing such a fine job breaking up Al-Q, that they have a hard time coordinating anything anymore?  Maybe all their splodey-experts are gettin' Predator'd? 

Maybe he hooked up with some bunch of young Al-Q hotheads, who think Al-Q is being too slow and methodical?  "I wants me my virgins now!" 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 03:04:36 AM »
Now that's a weird part of this whole thing. The splodey-folk in Pakistan know how to do a lot better than some fireworks, a few propane tanks and some bags of the wrong fertilizer.
I thought so as well when I read the detailed list of contents. "That won't explode". Hell, would it have exploded even if it had been the right kind of fertilizer? I thought you had to add some other stuff to it to make it splodey?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:57 AM »
Maybe he was the Private Pyle of his terrorist training camp. He wants to be a secret agent for Al-Q, but they don't really want to use him, so he tries to prove himself.

This sort of sillyness is more typical for terrorists than anything.

Hamas IIRC lost several terrorist 'engineers' in the suicide-bombing era due to sillyness such as people smoking while mixing up tubfuls of explosive.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 05:21:55 AM »
This sort of sillyness is more typical for terrorists than anything.

Hamas IIRC lost several terrorist 'engineers' in the suicide-bombing era due to sillyness such as people smoking while mixing up tubfuls of explosive.
You hear that, anti-smoking nazis?! Smoking can be good! :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »
Even that one surgeon/M.D.?

Or my coworker who's as much of a southern good ol' boy as any cracker born in the US.  He was bitching about this guy yesterday afternoon.

Then there are my Afhgan, Iranian, and Nigerian coworkers.  Needless to say, the terrorism jokes run rampant around the SOC. :D

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:27 AM »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100505/D9FGCQTG0.html

After authorities pulled Shahzad off the plane, he admitted he was behind the crude Times Square car bomb, officials said. He also claimed to have been trained at a terror camp in Pakistan's lawless tribal region of Waziristan, according to court documents. That raised increased concern that the bombing was an international terror plot.
Don't worry, they are not even sure it is even terrorism.  They are just concerned.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »

It's all silliness until some terrorist gets blowed up. Then it's God having a laugh at your expense. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »
Mildly interesting, audio of ATC telling the plane carrying the would-be terrorist to return to the gate shortly before takeoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKP_mnOONI

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »
Mildly interesting, audio of ATC telling the plane carrying the would-be terrorist to return to the gate shortly before takeoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKP_mnOONI

[Janet Napalitono Voice]  See, the system worked !!![/JNV]

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks it's a dumb political move for Napalitano and the others to brag about how successful they were in thwarting the attacker and catching the perp?

This guy was as fail as they come, and he very nearly got away.  Shouldn't that reflect poorly on Napalitano?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
Maybe he was the Private Pyle of his terrorist training camp.

I was thinking more along the lines of Spies Like Us, but without the accidental success.  Makes me wonder where the real ones are.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »
Horse shoes. Hand-grenades.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »
Dude was a mediocrity from the word "go."

Yet, he got his hands on an H1-B visa.

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2010/05/paging-tom-friedman.html

Paging Tom Friedman
Thank God the U.S. has student visas and H1B visas for the cream of the world's students,  such as that Times Square would-be bomber:

From the New York Times:
    According to immigration officials, Mr. Shahzad arrived in the United States on Jan. 16, 1999, less than a month after he had been granted a student visa, which requires a criminal background check.

He had previously attended a program in Karachi affiliated with the now-defunct Southeastern University in Washington; a transcript from the spring of 1998, found in the garbage outside the Shelton house, showed that he got D’s in English composition and microeconomics, B’s in Introduction to Accounting and Introduction to Humanities, and a C in statistics.

GPA in Karachi = 2.0 = U.S. student visa!

He enrolled at the University of Bridgeport, where he received a bachelor’s degree in computer science and engineering in 2000, followed by a master’s in business administration in 2005.

From  CollegeData.com on the U. of Bridgeport:
SAT Scores of Enrolled Freshmen SAT Math   448 average
390-490 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
   1%
Score of 600 - 700
   4%
Score of 500 - 600
   21%
Score of 400 - 500
   48%
Score of 300 - 400
   25%
Score of 200 - 300
   1%
SAT Critical Reading   447 average
400-490 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
   0%
Score of 600 - 700
   3%
Score of 500 - 600
   19%
Score of 400 - 500
   56%
Score of 300 - 400
   21%
Score of 200 - 300
   1%
SAT Writing   442 average
390-480 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
   0%
Score of 600 - 700
   3%
Score of 500 - 600
   19%
Score of 400 - 500
   52%
Score of 300 - 400
   25%
Score of 200 - 300
   1%
ACT Scores of Enrolled Freshmen ACT Composite   19 average
16-22 range of middle 50%
Score of 30 - 36
   3%
Score of 24 - 29
   16%
Score of 18 - 23
   40%
Score of 12 - 17
   38%
Score of 6 - 11
   3%
Score of 5 or Below

In January 2002 Mr. Shahzad obtained an H1B visa, a coveted status meant for highly skilled workers and good for three years, with a possible extension. Records show that Elizabeth Arden, the cosmetics giant, applied for a visa for Mr. Shahzad; he worked there as a temporary clerk in the accounting department in 2001, through an employment agency called Accountants Inc., according to a timecard found in his trash.

Granted, he tried to set off a car bomb in Times Square, but in return for the H1B visa, Elizabeth Arden got a "highly skilled" "temporary clerk in the accounting department." Sounds like a good deal to me! The economy would collapse if there weren't an endless supply of temporary clerks to keep wages down. As Tom Friedman has tirelessly pointed out, how can we possibly keep ahead of the Chinese unless we let all the rich families in the Islamic world unload their dumbest sons on us?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton