Author Topic: Southern riots! 400K without power!  (Read 1848 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Southern riots! 400K without power!
« on: December 15, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
Courage, brothers, we hear that over 400,000 are without power in the South because of ice storms.

Tell us about the riots, the looting, the government checks flowing!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:57:36 AM »
We're all parking our rusty pickups in our driveways, it's that bad.

Chris

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 08:02:44 AM »
400,000???  That ain't nuthin'.  We had millions out after Wilma.  No looting to speak of, some checks from FEMA and of course ice and water but they have plenty of that it seems.

Greg

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:04:19 AM »
i was somewhat surprised to come downstairs this morning and see snow falling outside.

i'm sure, however, if i had ventured outdoors, there would have been TERROR IN THE STREETS!

oh, and my rusty pickup is presently blocked in the driveway, completely unable to get me out to anywhere i might need to go!

(cause the contractors who are finishing up the bathroom parked their much nicer truck behind me)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 09:11:36 AM »
We're gonna have to change El T's nom de plume to El Trucko in obesience to the ragging he's getting.  HEH.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:29:31 AM »
In No. VA they canceled the county schools before it even started precipitating.  It's just rainy now.  They've had 3 snow days in the past two weeks, none of them really justified.

The fun will be if it all freezes tonight.  I'm synchronizing the laptop for a "work from home" day, just in case.
Experiment with a chemist!

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 10:42:28 AM »
We went 4 days without power after Rita and we would have killed to have ice!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 11:16:46 AM »
Well, if it's an ice storm, then the ground is frozen and if you park your truck in the yard it will not leave ruts.

Sorry to hear about the lack of rioting.  Isn't an act of Nature now an excuse to behave badly and blame George Bush???
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »
If its not New Orleans, Chicago, LA or Detroit; odds of a riot are slim. IMO
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 08:30:57 AM »
Quote from: DrAmazon
In No. VA they canceled the county schools before it even started precipitating.  It's just rainy now.  They've had 3 snow days in the past two weeks, none of them really justified.

The fun will be if it all freezes tonight.  I'm synchronizing the laptop for a "work from home" day, just in case.
That's just funny.  Here in Utah, the kids don't walk to school if there is over a foot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 08:40:16 AM »
In 13 years of schooling when a lad, we never had a snow day.  The HS shut down one day for a tornado.  A member of the school board saw the funnel.  Otherwise we went.  I live in Michigan and snow is as common as the cottontail rabbit.
The only riot we ever had as a result, was the riot we had hopping car bumpers and sliding behind them in the snow that covered the streets on our way to school.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 09:21:01 AM »
Jamis, you'll have a lot to adjust to when you move out here. Smiley

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 09:23:52 AM »
Riot?  We're so lazy around here we have a hard time gettin' up off the couch on the front porch so we can walk out to the truck parked on the lawn.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 12:54:24 PM »
We hardly ever had a snow day, but we had a few sleet/ice days.  When you're a kid here in Texas that's almost as fun (we didn't really know the difference anyway).  Riding cardboard boxes down steep ice-covered streets was a blast, until someone hit the parked car or fire hydrant.  When it actually snowed I took out my 3-wheeler and had some of the best days of my life.  Riots?  Not around here.  It's so f-ing hot most of the year people don't seem to mind a few frozen powerless days.

Quote from: grampster
The HS shut down one day for a tornado.  A member of the school board saw the funnel.  Otherwise we went.
We always just had to go sit in the hall until the tornado passed (or sucked us all up, which luckily never happened).  I recall more tornado warnings than chances of snow.
For entertainment purposes only.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »
My lights were off for about 30 hours.  Came back on this evening.  Tomorrow I will see what needs to go out of the refrigerator.  There are huge trucks from the power companies in a staging area near where I live.  Those folks are working all night.  Temps got up into the 50s here today so the ice is pretty much gone.

The only thing close to riot I saw was people getting impatient for service at the bar while they were waiting for a table.

I am just happy not to have to stay at my mother-in-law's again tonight :-)