Author Topic: Extended-cab, V8 Pickups - what's your pick  (Read 4578 times)

wooderson

• friend
Extended-cab, V8 Pickups - what's your pick
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
Halfway in the market for a new truck. Just got approved online for a loan at a good rate, haven't tested any of the dealerships' 0% yet.

If I'm going to take on a payment and move up from my F-150 V6 w/ 130k on it, I figure I need three things: power mirrors (I hate trying to adjust the passenger mirror after someone bumps it in a parking lot), extended cab (not crew - I just want enough space for a guitar case/range bag/groceries), and a V8 to make highway passing less unpleasant. I don't tow anything, but I haul paint, equipment, material, etc..

I don't pay for my gas (part of the deal for work - I don't get a company car, so...), but I don't want to test that by getting a Hemi and flooring it at every light.

initial impressions from reading:
Tundra - too many quality issues, no dice
Titan - only comes with the 5.7L V8 that gets lousy mileage
F-150 - 4.6L doesn't seem like much improvement over my V6, 5.4L V8 performance still isn't outsanding due to weight, but Fords are the cheapest and mine has been reliable
Silverado 1500 - either engine seems to be enough, kinda ugly but who cares  - somewhat pricier, but other than that this is looking like a good choice
Ram 1500 - seems perfectly fine in all respects if only it had something in between the crew cab and regular cab.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Extended-cab, V8 Pickups - what's your pick
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »
Get the Silverado.  It has a low step-in height, great seats, low hood profile, good instrumentation and the most civilized ride.
As a casual daily driver they all fit the bill, but the aforementioned features make a difference when your truck is your office and you climb in and out of it thirty times per day.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »
Silverado 1500 - either engine seems to be enough, kinda ugly but who cares

No, those things are beautiful.  At least they're not stuck with a 90s gimmick look, like the Dodge.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »
Silverado 1500 - either engine seems to be enough, kinda ugly but who cares

No, those things are beautiful.  At least they're not stuck with a 90s gimmick look, like the Dodge.   smiley

I agree that the new Silverado is beautiful, though it's a heavy facelift, not a completely new truck. 

Dodge is coming out with its first-ever good looking truck for 2009:

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »
how long you plan to keep it?  asks the guy with the 500 k 1990 dodge 250

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »
As long as it lasts - I've had this Ford since Dec. 2000 (purchased used) and wouldn't be thinking about trading up if I'd been in a position to buy something a bit less basic then.

I believe firmly in flogging them 'til they can't be flogged no more.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »
I've had a RAM 1500 since new in 2002. It's got the heavy towing package and I routinely tow a 9800-lb trailer and backhoe. Zero problems, except the speakers are on/off (wrap-around sound system). It gets 18 mpg clean, about 15 when towing. The 5.9 liter engine has all the power and torque one could need. 4wd works like a charm. No complaints, and it was a couple of thou cheaper than the F-150 similarly equipped.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 03:01:23 AM »
About a month ago we traded our 2003 Dodge Ram (with HEMI) in on a Durango since I have another truck.  The Ram had about 50,000 miles and we didn't have one ounce of problems with it.  It is interesting that our Durango has the HEMI but with the cylinder shut off thing.  It's not unusual to get ~19 mpg with it on the highway.  One trip, we broke 20.  I don't know what effect it has in the Ram's, though, but it's worth looking into.

Ryan

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:15:54 AM »
F150 with the 5.4
I have one and I've been very happy with it.  Mine's the crew cab.  Plenty of bed space.  I've used it fishing, hunting, picking up furniture and appliances, and for hauling stuff to the dump. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 03:17:06 AM »
if you are buying new, you might start by asking, "which dealership should i buy from?". check your bbb. most of the trucks are reasonably dependable. but, if you get a lemon, a good dealership is a big plus. check the latest consumer reports buying guide.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:03:26 AM »
I am driving my 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 at about 108K.  No problems at all.  As said above, it is a very smooth ride with good power.  The interior is very comfortable.  I am probably finally getting the point that I need to service the brakes.  I have replaced the drive belt, but not much other than that beyond the normal oil change and such.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:23:05 AM »
I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ...love it.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »
I LOVE my '99 Chevy Silverado. 4.8V8, fire engine red, factory chrome package. Looks sharp. And when they say solid as a rock, they mean it. Great ride, great big extended cab- plenty of space. 6.5ft bed provides plenty of room.

I thought the Ford 4.6L engine is kinda weak. And I didn't like the Ford's ride (kinda rough). And, I'd run like hell from Dodge. Toyota, good value, also solid truck. I've got a buddy who runs a painting business, and he has two Tundra crew cabs that he likes a lot.

We are a Chevy family. All our vehicles are Chevys (one GMC, though- same thing, different sheet metal on front).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »
I has a question. 

At work, we have two pick-ups, a newish Chevy 2500 and a newish F-250.  Both have four-wheel drive.  Both are bone-stock work-trucks.  I don't know about the suspension package.  Anyhoo, the Chevy is much easier to get into, as if it were a foot closer to the ground.  But the Ford has very little additional clearance. 

Is that a common difference between Frods and Chevies?  Or is that just our two trucks? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:39:23 AM »
Just got approved online for a loan at a good rate,

No, you didn't.  You got pre-qualified, which is an entirely different critter.  And chances are that "good rate" comes with a bunch of nasty little strings attached.  Try you credit union, bank, or the dealership credit people.  Most manufacturers are still giving incredibly good rates if you finance with them.

Words of advice born of lots of experience - I have yet to see an "online loan deal" that actually is.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
Brad is right, a pre-qualification means that you are a breathing human being who is physically capable of writing a check and mailing it to the lender.  It's a suck-you-in tactic to apply for a loan and listen to their BS.  If you're seriously considering buying a new truck, do your homework and find out where you stand financially, then shop the dealerships.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »
Well, as in most things "vehicle" most of your recommendations will be whatever each of us already owns, because who wants to say they made a bad purchase?  laugh

I had the same F150 you do, except an 02. I got it because I got a great "year-end clearance" deal on it. I mostly liked it, but yeah, the V-6 lags a bit when you're trying to pass, especially on a one lane road with a semi heading towards you. I upgraded to the F250 only because I wanted diesel and I throw a ton load in the back often enough that I could justify the cost, and I can depreciate it from my rental side business.

Otherwise, I would have been more than content moving up to the F150 with the 5.4L. I think that engine has plenty of power for the frame, and I prefer the Ford interior layout to other brands. That said, we have an 07 Silverado at work with whatever their smallest V-8 is, and I find nothing wrong with that truck, and it has plenty of passing power unloaded.

So I guess I'm saying that given your parameters, you'll probably be happy in any of the major brands you're interested in that you get the best deal on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

James Fitzer

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »
I have an F150 with a 5.4, and I love it. I love the way it drives, the way it looks, and best of all I worked at the dealership when I got it, so i got 0% financing AND the truck for thousands below invoice.

Here's a pic.

http://a736.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_18715861156d0ca3bebe929bca77f15f.jpg

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 08:59:43 AM »
Why a 150?

Look for a used one-ton diesel dually.

Yeah, the "gas" costs more a gallon, but you get better mileage with less maintenance.

And you can tow or haul darn near anything.

I'm actually thinking of getting a trailer in a few years, and instead of a "pickup," buying a used single-axle big truck...

Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
Bogie, he doesn't need the tow capability of a diesel.

Plus, the newer diesels, I understand, don't get great milage compared to a gas pickup truck. I think the newer F series diesels get around 19 mpg, no load. My Chevy easily matches that.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »
I purchased an F150 FX Super crew and love it. Don't let the smaller motor fool u. .ine towed a 1970 Cougar xr7 all the way across country without a hiccup. Going up mountains in WV the truck still accelerated with 3800 lbs behind it. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
I think the newer F series diesels get around 19 mpg, no load.

Yup, and that's for the F250 with a 3.73. I've gotten as high as 21, but rarely. Goes down fast for the higher gear ratios and larger chassis. I've heard that guys who remove their DPF and run a DPF delete program are getting a good 5MPG better. I'm just afraid to do it because I don't want to shoot my warranty in the foot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
Forgot to mention, I got 0% financing....okay well technically my wife got 0% finance...oh the horror of being a kept man....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
I purchased an F150 FX Super crew and love it. Don't let the smaller motor fool u. .ine towed a 1970 Cougar xr7 all the way across country without a hiccup. Going up mountains in WV the truck still accelerated with 3800 lbs behind it.  

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
Oops sorry for the double post. As for buying a diesel, the price for fuel for a deisel is at least 25 cents higher here in WV.