Author Topic: GEICO?  (Read 5256 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
GEICO?
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »
Anyone have experience with them. Good bad or otherwise?

They are quoting me 1/10th the cost of the latest quote from my regular company. Very tempting but I'd like to know more about the company before I commit.

Thanks!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: GEICO?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:16:54 AM »
First, who else have you called?  That is a big price difference. 

I used them for 6 months way back, but got a better price from a local agent so I cut them.  The guy on the phone thought I was just trying to play with them and didn't want to end the coverage.  It took a few minutes to convince him that I didn't want to continue coverage at all.  I never had any claims.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
Check out Electric Insurance too. I used to use them and they were cheaper than GEICO and Progressive.

We now use Farm Bureau because we can lump all our insurance into one bill and they added a rider for firearms without asking for what I had, just a dollar amount to replace everything.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »
i have a vested interest here.  wife works for em.  we recently switched to geico. comparing prices is tricky. you need similar coverages  and thats hard to do. my reason for changing was better price. we stayed away before cause shes paranoid abot "what if we have a claim!"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:43 AM »
When I got out of school, bought my first car since HS, and got my own insurance, I got Geico because I was inundated with the ads and needed *something*.  A year later, I heard about Erie, switched to them and my rate was immediately cut in half.  I would be VERY surprised if Geico could offer you anything approaching half what you're currently paying.

Chris

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »
I was with Geico for about 15 years and never had a problem. They always took care of us and never gave us a hard time on anything. We ended up changing over to USAA last year because they were cheaper as I compiled my homeowners, renters, vehicle and life insurance policies with them.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »
Thanks all,

well, My regular ins co just requoted me $2200/yr for full coverage on 2 cars with an 18 yo driving one of them. Geico requoted (my daughter was coming up as my spouse) $1600 for the year and State Farm just quoted about the same but with $500 deductable on collision vs $200 deductable from Geico. I'm getting the particulars on the SF quote sent over now.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
I had Geico back in that late 80's early 90's after returning from Korea.  Noone else wanted to insure me or wanted to charge an arm and and leg since I hadn't been insured for a couple of years, was stationed in Korea for 14 plus months and had no need for a vehicle or insurance.  The companies didn't care.

Filed a claim with them after my now ex tore up the transfer case, transmission and other things being drunk, stoned and or stupid.  No problems and no increase in price.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
Geico is offering me more for less when compared to State Farm, Travelers and Hanover. I'll look into those other names though.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »
I have a pretty simplistic vehicle situation (one car, no accidents/tickets), but Geico saved me 60% over my old USAA policy.  I pay a little less than $360 now.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »
I had Geico for 20 years in washington DC/MD

when I moved to PA, I used Geico's online "I am Moving" quote system

They reduced my bill ~ 5 percent

Erie wrote me a 60 percent cut

When Geico called to find out why I left, they could not compete with Erie's offer...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »
I had GEICO for the majority of the time I was USN. I was pretty happy with them. After I retired, their rates were no longer competitive for me. In one instance, I was comparison shopping and they quoted me a price lower than my one year policy. Then I found out that the price they quoted was only for six months. When it was all said and done, their prices were about 1½ times my annual policy with another company. I've found better rates with other companies.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:51:49 PM »
Amongst the things I have done over the years as a risk manager is to place property, casualty, liability and fiduciary insurance coverage on the commercial market. Hearing these stories about the wildly varying quotes reminds me of how I would always get the quotes in writing. I would then review them to ensure that I was comparing apples to apples.  If the quotes were for different terms, coverages or policy limits, you cannot easily compare them. 

When I buy personal insurance for my family, I always ask the agent or broker to email me the quote for comparison purposes. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »
USAA all the way. Cheaper (for comparable levels of coverage) and hands down THE best customer service of any business in any industry I've ever seen.

Also, Millcreek speaks wisdom. Get it in writing to see exactly what you are getting.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »
We've been using Farmers for years.  Always less than the others that we've asked to quote, and never a problem with service.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:27:48 PM »
Been with Geico for 5 years now, I had Metlife (ugh) before that. Geico was considerably cheaper.

No claims, tickets, accidents in 19 years.

The insurance companies have a name for drivers like me. Profit. :laugh:
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
My family has been using geico for about 3yrs now for auto and home. They have handled our claims superbly; I have been very pleased with their customer service too. Any changes or questions get handled promptly with good communication.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
Back around '99 I called them.

Had three cars, a wife and a baby.

They quoted me $2400 every six months for two full coverage and one liability.

I was paying Nationwide less than half of that and I was a good customer with no claims, tickets or lapses.

GEICO can kiss my nether regions.

Progressive sucks too.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »
USAA customer since 1985.  No one has been able to touch their rates and no one beats them when it comes to customer service.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
Still reading, just so you know, I'll check into USAA too as so many have recommended it. Thanks again to all!  =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »
Ummm, there's one thing about USAA.  You have to be a member:

Who is eligible?
Membership is open to:

Children whose eligible parents had a USAA auto or property insurance product.
Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
Former military personnel:
    Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
    Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
Former USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 02:10:21 AM »
Ummm, there's one thing about USAA.  You have to be a member:

Yeah...after the Navy recruiters decided they didn't particularly like my trick knee, I was tempted to ask if they could sneak me in just long enough to qualify fro USAA.  I've been in a wreck with a USAA member, (his fault) and they were quick to get us into a good repair shop and a reasonable rental car.

Geico is all right, but their rental reimbursement often leaves a bit to be desired.  They're still the cheapest for us at the moment, though, and the multi-car discount makes it only a couple $ per month more to have full coverage rather than minimum liability on the Ford, since we have it on the Mazda.

AFAIK, they've never actually seen the Ford, so it could get interesting if we ever have to file a claim.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »
There's always a snag...  =|

:laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
Whoa boy...

I've not pulled a rate quote from Geico in quite some time...

I was going off memory on what I have for coverage, but I think I came close...

Geico is quoting me less than half what Erie is currently charging me.

I'm going to seriously look into changing at that point.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

benEzra

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
We've had them for a decade, with great service.  We've had a couple of claims, and they've always paid speedily with no hassle, and gone out of their way to help us (including the time my present car was almost totaled by a freak hailstorm three weeks after I bought it, and they fixed it 100%).