Author Topic: How to pick a tattoo shop?  (Read 4225 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
How to pick a tattoo shop?
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »
What do I look for?  I know exactly what I want, and it needs to have a fair amount of detail....but.....how do I pick a shop?
One day at a time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: How to pick a tattoo shop?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
Ask people who have high quality work on thier skin, in terms of detail and shading, until you start to see a consensus forming. It's also probably a select number of artists who you want, not just anybody at one particular shop.

I'd expect that a shop also has a portfolio of their work. And when there's a waiting list to get your appointment at the shop, with the artist you want, and the price shocks you a bit, then it's probably the right place.
I promise not to duck.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »
Big autoclave front and center.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
There are websites devoted to this I think. I know people get very good reputations, and everyone in the area who is into tattoos seems to know who they are. Long waiting lists.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »
Keep in mind styles too. An incredibly talented artist could be totally wrong for you because their style doesn't match your needs. Look through their portfolios closely.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »
I make it a policy to stay away from places that want to inject ink under my skin.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
Cleanliness, technical skills, artistical skills.
To elaborate, needles are single use and to be taken straight from vaccum sealed bags.
Technical skills, atleast that's how I think of it, is the whole thing of getting the ink into your skin with the minimal amount of damage done to it. I've seen horrific examples of what happens when people without skills try to tattoo. Let's just say "scar tissue" and stop at that.
Artistic skills: Can the guy draw? Check his portfolio. Check lines, shading. If you want to, I can give you some good examples (pictures) of what to look for and what to avoid in that department.
I'm going into get some more work done tomorrow, I can ask my artist what advice he has to add...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
Viking- That'd be great.

Hank, I always have, too. 

That said, I have something I really want to do. 

My Uncle was killed in a car accident a couple of years back.  He left four children.  He was my role model growing up- he wasn't perfect, but he was my sounding board. 

A couple of months my later, my Grandfather passed.  He was perhaps the most honorable man that has ever lived.  He was the best man at my wedding.  He was the first person that knew I was going to propose to my Wife.  In fact, I flew us down to GA to get engaged at Tybee Beach so they could be the first to know that I did ask. 

He had lung cancer and was given two months to live a while ago.  He new that Jen was pregnant and he promised to meet my baby.  Somehow, he managed to make it 10 months.  We went to see him and he had no idea who I was, who my Wife was, who my Grandmother was.  Hell, he had lost bladder control, bowel control, most muscle control.

The whole house wreaked of death.  The morning we were to leave, he told me he loved me, he had kept his promise to meet my child, that he was proud of me, and that it was time to say good bye.  I kissed my Grandfather goodbye for the last time and flew home.  Once I walked out the door he shut down, stopped eating, drinking, everything.

He died three days later.  I've never cried so hard in my life.  I had lost my best friend.

Their last name means "Pear Tree".   My Uncle's Stone actually has a Pear Tree on it with two falling pears...One for him and one for my Grandfather (In Judiasm, the stone is not placed until +/- a year later, so my Aunt had them put two leaves vs the one).

I want to have a tree done on my left arm with two leaves or pears falling from it.

They mean a lot to me and I want to take them with me every day for the rest of my life.
One day at a time.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
Viking: I'd be interested in those pics as well. My next couple are gonna be simple line drawings, but I've an idea for a backpiece that's a bit more complex.

Also, Mark; what are you getting?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:10 AM »
Not a big fan of tattoos, myself.

That said, I think I would treat it the same way I would elective eye surgery or elective plastic surgery: pay good money for the best quality available.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »
Their last name means "Pear Tree".   My Uncle's Stone actually has a Pear Tree on it with two falling pears...One for him and one for my Grandfather (In Judiasm, the stone is not placed until +/- a year later, so my Aunt had them put two leaves vs the one).

I want to have a tree done on my left arm with two leaves or pears falling from it.

jf....I'm not concerned with cost....I'm concerned with quality....
One day at a time.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
Comparison between two examples of koi fish:
Bad!!! Kill the "artist" with fire!!!:

Bloody amazing!:

One of these fellows has mastered doing lines, shading, things you need to know to do a good tattoo. I'm guessing that he has spent quite a bit of time apprenticing for someone, learning by making small and simple tattoos before moving up as he gets better. I'd definetly let him work on me!

The other guy, OTOH, I wouldn't even let him brand cattle. God knows how miserably he'd fail. I guess he has never spent a day as an apprentice, and I'd be amazed if he knows how to operate his machines properly.

As a sidenote, my artist's girlfriend is apprenticing with him now. She hasn't been doing it for that long, she doesn't exactly do worldclass portraits or such yet, but despite her relative lack of experience, she manages to make good, solid traditional tattoos. Apprenticing and learning it from someone who knows what he/she is doing helps alot! Trying to learn it all by yourself will in most cases make people miserable when they realize how much they paid for someone to totally ruin their skin. I've seen good ideas butchered completely because people order crap kits from China and then opens up a shop...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:20 PM »
Some stuff I forgot to add:
http://www.bmeink.com/bme-tatt.html - Great resource for pictures. Outright stealing is not cool, but getting inspiration is OK. Some pics might not be safe for work.

What else...oh yes, try to make sure that you don't go there on an empty stomach. I am of the opinion that it'll hurt more if you are hungry and don't have any energy.

Balog, what are you planning on getting done?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
Get one of your friends roaring drunk and send him in the shop to put the moves on the artist's girlfriend.....if he get's beat up and thrown out, skip that shop. If he comes out with a well-inked, naked Ms. Piggy tatooed on his chest, then that's the shop for you.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
Viking: trinity symbols on the biceps, an Eagle Globe and Anchor on the left forearm and a cadeusius (did I spell that right? The "snake and cross" symbol corpsman wear opposite their rank insignia) on the right. I like symmetry. :) the backpiece I'm kicking a few ideas around, I'd like to find a very good artist to figure out what's possible and what would look good.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »
Viking: trinity symbols on the biceps, an Eagle Globe and Anchor on the left forearm and a cadeusius (did I spell that right? The "snake and cross" symbol corpsman wear opposite their rank insignia) on the right. I like symmetry. :) the backpiece I'm kicking a few ideas around, I'd like to find a very good artist to figure out what's possible and what would look good.
This one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus
or this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius ?

Which styles are you interested in?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 01:47:29 PM »
Like this, the part under the bird.

As for styles, just simple line drawings in traditional black for the arms. The more realistic style for the backpiece, but still in grey-scale.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
Like this, the part under the bird.

As for styles, just simple line drawings in traditional black for the arms. The more realistic style for the backpiece, but still in grey-scale.
Post pics when you are done then :cool:. I've got maybe...75% of my left arm covered, plus pieces on my shoulders, stomach, chest, back and inside of upper right arm. :cool:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
LOL. Who doesn't want a tattoo of a zombie on them?  :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »
Durrr...

No, the guy was obviously a Christopher Lambert/Highlander fan, and wanted to combine that with a memorial for his young dead wife.

I think the artist did an admirable job combining the two, don't you think?

In both cases, at least as far as the wearer of this tattoo is concerned, "There can be only one."
I promise not to duck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »
The Tattoo of Dorian Gray
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
http://www.tattoofever.net/images/bad%20tattoo.jpg

Seems to me the gentleman had a poor tattoo artist and didn't do his homework.

At the very least, I would think he'd have been better served to first get someone to make a drawing from his wife's picture and use that for the tattoo.

I'm thinking sketches translate into tatoos better than pictures.

(However, I think anyone getting a tattoo is making a poor decision- some of those decisions are worse than others, though. I will elaborate: what will be your opinion of that tattoo in 30 years?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
Look at portfolios. Find someone who is good at the particular style that you want.

A lot of artists will refer you to someone else if they aren't into doing a particular type of tattoo.