Author Topic: Gas grill recommendation  (Read 3912 times)

Hutch

• friend
Gas grill recommendation
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
Friends, my "Char-Broil Commercial" (yeah, right) gas grill, bought from Lowe's ~ 5 - 6 years ago, and used  once or twice a week in all seasons, is about spent.  The raceways or galleys or whatever you call the piping for the gas inside the grill are rusting/leaking, and they appear to be of a piece with the framework, which is to say, not an FRU.

I bought this one at Lowe's thinking it would be useful far longer than it turned out to be.  My grill location is outdoors (duh) but under a generous roof overhang.  I don't cover it.  I routinely cook meats with a salty marinade.  I don't really like the lava rock or ceramic biscuit design, but could be convinced.  I can spend a fair amount of money on this (prefer to keep it to 3 digits, but have some leeway).  I'm tempted to start buying cheapest damned 2-burner grill I can find and throw it away every year or two.  I think it'd cost less in the long run, because I've spending 4x - 5x the minimum price, but only got 4 or 5 good years out of it.  I'd like to hear y'all's opinion/suggestions.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

castle key

• friend
Re: Gas grill recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »
Not a gas grill....quick thread drift....but I bought a "Big Green Egg." Absolutely geeky, yuppy, expensive suburban product, but it really is worth every penny I spent.

Take a look at it.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
Nope.  Sorry.  Gas grill.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
Where are you?

I've got an old Weber that someone gave me before they died.  The cart frame is falling apart but AFAIK the grill is fine.  I tried to give it away once but they left it behind at our place.

We just never got into the habit of grilling so I never bothered with fixing the frame.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
I have one of the lower price point Weber gas grills (Genesis?). The coated grill surface and coated "flaverizers" eventually rusted out. The burner is 8 years old, no issues. I replaced the rusted out grilling surface with the stainless replacements. When the flavorizers rusted out I did the same, replaced with stainless.

If you can swing getting a Weber that comes stock with stainless do that, if not the nice thing about this grill is parts are readily available.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »
That's funny...  well, not really funny... but I was looking at that same grill on the lowe's website to replace the one that was destroyed in our shed fire....

And started seeing the same pattern in the reviews as what you're describing...

So I looked at SWMBO and said, "Back to the drawing board!!!!"

We're now considering building our own brick charcoal and gas grills.....

We'll see....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
weber uses steel plates instead of rocks. all i have for gas cookery. :laugh:

oh, and there's a competitor to BGE that makes a really big oval modal if anyone was holding off because of the size. :facepalm: oh, and some really nice looking tile modals to. wanted one a long time, but ain't no way. :laugh:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
I have a 20+ year old Weber Genesis.  Rusted out grill and bars was replaced with stainless steel.  I occasionally have to take the flame rods out and clean out spider webs and so forth.  An occasional bolt falls out of the cart.  Work surface was some kind of soft wood.  Replaced with plastic lumber and all is well.  It has needed maintenance over the years but it still does a fine job.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »
Another Weber Genesis here.  One thing I started this year was only using 2/3 of it for food and putting a tray with mesquite chips and water between the flavorizer bars and the grill on the other 1/3rd. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »
Heretics All!

This is the only proper fuel for outdoor cooking

A pox on your propane!
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:08:21 AM »
unless you're cutting your own wood, ready made charcoal will save you a fortune.  ;) and it's more consistent. =D still need some wood of course, just less.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 12:08:51 AM »
My parents, who always swore they would never use a charcoal grill, recently bought an egg knockoff after seeing their relative's. It's amazing, but it's a little different. It's easy to get the food juicy because it's almost an oven/steaming effect. However it's hard to sear the food if you happen to want that.  
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:19 AM »
unless you're cutting your own wood, ready made charcoal will save you a fortune.  ;) and it's more consistent. =D still need some wood of course, just less.

Doesn't everyone have 3-4 acres of hardwood available to harvest for cooking ???

=D =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
I've owned one of the larger gas grills before, but I think this will be my next one....

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202222545/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=Paul+jr.&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

....easier to move around and carry places....and the interchangeable grill/griddle plates make fajita-making a breeze.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
Replace it with another Charbroil. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

P5 Guy

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »
Ducane, will outlast the cockroaches. I've had mine over ten years and use it six to eight times a month all year long. It still cooks like new.
If I had the time and wood that would be what I'd be using, second choice is the Ducane.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:09 PM »
Doesn't everyone have 3-4 acres of hardwood available to harvest for cooking ???

=D =D
lol, no. and if i did i would still be using charcoal for the base fuel. same stuff, just easier to carry use and cheaper. =) if you didn't click the link you should, this ain't coal oil and wood scraps. :laugh: that "stuff" is for indirect cooking. =|

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
Weber  is probably your best bet.

Look, charcoal is fine if you know you are going to be grilling and have the time to devote to it. But when I come home from 8 or 12 hours of hard, long work, and I want couple of burgers or a steak, I want it NOW and not waiting forever for a charcoal grill to get up to proper temp, etc. Gas grill? I'm ready to cook in 5 mins and it still tastes pretty good.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Avenger has the right of it.  A gas grill is a kitchen tool.  Grilling over charcoal is an event, and a labor of love and beer.  Not interchangable.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »
I have a Weber Spirit gas grill, and a classic Weber One-Touch silver charcoal grill that has been in the family since 1989.  Gas is for high heat and fast cooks, charcoal is for low and slow.  Both are very much worth what you pay.

I had two Char Broil grills before I jumped to the Weber.  The difference is night and day.  And, I don't have stainless grates, I have cast iron, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.  yeah, they take a little work to maintain, but the way they cook makes them worth the work.  As for the flavor bars, i don't mind having to replace them every three or four years.  A lot cheaper than buying a new Char Broil that often.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
ironically you can only hit the real high heat with charcoal.  as in for black and blue steaks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »

=D =D

When I return from Kuwait next year maybe I will hit you up for a truckload or two. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 08:57:06 AM »
ironically you can only hit the real high heat with charcoal.  as in for black and blue steaks

My Weber Spirit, with all three burners on high, gets up to around 800 degrees in about 15 minutes.  My wife likes her steaks charred on the outside and red on the inside (warm at most).  Throw a steak on about 3-4 minutes per side, and she's a happy lady.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
lol, no. and if i did i would still be using charcoal for the base fuel. same stuff, just easier to carry use and cheaper. =) if you didn't click the link you should, this ain't coal oil and wood scraps. :laugh: that "stuff" is for indirect cooking. =|

no coal oil in Kingsford. http://old.cbbqa.org/wood/Kingsford.html

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536